Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hamilton  (Read 1616 times)

• Liked: 533
Hamilton
« on: July 02, 2016, 06:41:05 PM »
I used to feel like I was pretty much on top of cultural stuff...at least enough to converse about things. I make an effort. But this week Hamilton came up in conversation and everyone was clued in but me.

I don't even know what it really is.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 537
Re: Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 07:02:58 PM »
It's a musical written by Lin-Manuel Miranda. You might recognize him from a few things, he was in one of the last episodes of How I Met Your Mother (the one with Marshall telling rhyming stories on the buss). It's basically a hip hop musical about the founding fathers. Some liberties were taken. haha. It took America by storm last summer. Two of my best friends have gone gaga over it.

It's on Broadway right now and the creator and one of it's stars (Miranda) is about to leave the production to go on to another project. It's also doing a US tour end of this summer early fall. It features a mostly POC cast and none of the actors had had their big breaks yet. I haven't listened to any of the music, my friends really tried to get me to last summer. But hip hop/rap isn't really my thing.

Edited: I misspelled the guy's first name. (twice... how did I learn his name completely wrong!)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:34:16 PM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 07:19:12 PM »
Two of my best friends have gone gaga over it.

That was what interested me...these people's descriptions were quite extraordinary.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 537
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 07:30:24 PM »
That was what interested me...these people's descriptions were quite extraordinary.

The photos I've seen from it are visually amazing, the costumes are great and it looks like the cast really get on. It's definitely worth looking into.

I really should, but nothing's really given me the impetus to do so. I don't have the money to attempt seeing it (it's pretty much sold out anyway), and my friends are 7 time zones away... so yeah. They won a bunch of Tony awards this year.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 01:33:33 PM »
If you like musical theater and lyrical hip hop, it's pretty phenomenal. The soundtrack is available for streaming on amazon prime music. I really loved "In the Heights" so it wasn't surprising that this also caught my interest. Plus, a friend's brother is in it. Definitely worth checking out! It'll be a few years before most places get the touring production, but I would assume they plan on bringing it to London. Tickets will be a hot commodity. All of the broadway performances are currently sold out!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab