Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: With or without pet relocation company ?  (Read 2816 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: With or without pet relocation company ?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 08:48:55 PM »
OK, that doesn't sound hard(via paperwork attached to the kennel), how long does the custom clearing take?  I was reading FIVE hours.  Is that true or scare tactic/worst case?

It'll just depend on how busy they are on the day. It could take 5 hours but your dog will be let out when it arrives so it won't be stuck in the cage for the whole time.

Also, it'll take you some time to disembark and get through customs and immigration yourself so you wouldn't just be sitting waiting the whole time either. :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 08:35:06 AM »
It took about 4 hours for my cats to be cleared.  There were two dogs in front of them from another flight though.  The people at the ARC are so friendly though.  They told me my cats had arrived and been put into a large room together with a litter box, that neither of them had gone potty in their crates, and that they were a bit wide eyed but happy to be pet and we're happy to be back together.  As soon as they saw me, I could tell they realised what the whole ordeal was about (they had flown unaccompanied).  I put them into a single crate, put them on the front seat of the car.  They each took a long bath and went straight to sleep.  They knew they were home when we got back to my house.

People tried to discourage me from bringing them but they are my babies. I'm so glad I brought them!

• Liked: 8
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 03:00:45 PM »
I ended up hiring a pet relocation company for the peace of mind factor. I'm pretty nervous about moving them from Tampa to London (2 cats and a high strung Jack Russell) and I don't want anything to go wrong with the papers.

Could I get it done on my own ? Probably. But I know the vets aren't up to date on rule changes and such and I had to show my own vet what to do , and if customs gets some paperwork with missing info or something done improperly , it can just cause more delay.

So I will allow someone that headache while I deal with the rest of this moving nonsense. :)
Met online 11/17/14
First met in person - he came to Florida! 1/17/15
First uk visit 4/13/15
His second US visit 9/2015
My second uk visit 1/15/2016
Married on his third trip to US 6/10/16
Mailed docs to Sheffield 7/19/16
Got spouse visa 8/19/2016
Entered UK 12/2/2016

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 11:02:22 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  So relieved they will let my dog out of his kennel.  He is crate trained and a mellow dog, but he LOVES people, so to be without them for so long is going to be rough on him.  Also, did anyone use benadryl to help them sleep at least part of the way through it?  I have heard that is helpful.  My guy sleeps a lot, so I am hoping the white noise will help.  Also, the timing is looking more like January now..  Is it true that it is cold in the hold and he can't fly then??  I am so hesitant about this whole thing.  He is my baby and I love him soooo much, but I also don't want to be selfish and put him through something he can't recover from.  I already have one friend that would take him in a heartbeat as he is SUCH a good dog(everyone loves him), but to leave him would break my heart....  At least you guys are giving me some positive stories as up until now everyone has told me I shouldn't take him.  :(

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 12:37:04 AM »
Yes it is true some airlines and routes have restrictions on when they will and won't fly animals.  You'll find out who as you go along.  There are plenty in summer months too.

I used a pet transport company.  Partly because of peace of mind, as the rules used to be a bit tougher, but mainly because I was a corporate move so my animal transport costs were covered.  And there is a lot going on when you move.  My vet assured me that the animals like the hold.  It's dark and warm and the white noise from the engine lulls them to sleep.  My cats were not medicated (my vet wouldn't allow it).  And they were FINE.  Well, maybe a bit twitchy when they saw moving boxes again. 😉

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 07:03:37 AM »
  Also, the timing is looking more like January now..  Is it true that it is cold in the hold and he can't fly then?? 

Such restrictions to travel are due to extremes of temperature on the tarmac. The hold is climate controlled.
You would need to check with your airline to see if it applies in your area. Make sure you are talking to the cargo people as the regular booking staff are known to give misinformation.

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 07:13:49 AM »
  My cats were not medicated (my vet wouldn't allow it).

The airlines don't allow sedation either. If they suspect an animal has been sedated they will refuse to fly it. There is a risk of death due to respiratory depression. No one wants that.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab