Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Using an agency  (Read 3259 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Using an agency
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2004, 04:19:15 PM »
see thats what i was thinking...i prob would have a place to stay for a couple weeks and really get a feel for the city.   I realise that vacationing in a city and working there is totally different.   Just wish I could legally look for work while I'm there. 

Also, have any of you been to this site....www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk.....i was referred to there by a member of the UK work permits team and it seems like a good site...the only prob is that every vacancy that seems interesting, in order to apply..i have to call the uk agency and retreive the company's email address.   that kinda sucks but u gotta do what u gotta do.

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2004, 04:19:30 PM »
see thats what i was thinking...i prob would have a place to stay for a couple weeks and really get a feel for the city.   I realise that vacationing in a city and working there is totally different.   Just wish I could legally look for work while I'm there.  

Also, have any of you been to this site....www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk.....i was referred to there by a member of the UK work permits team and it seems like a good site...the only prob is that every vacancy that seems interesting, in order to apply..i have to call the uk agency and retreive the company's email address.   that kinda sucks but u gotta do what u gotta do.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2004, 04:25:01 PM »
The jobcentre will likely not even give you the time of day as you aren't a legal resident in the UK, sorry to say. It is for residents looking for work, and while it may be good to look through and get an idea of jobs that are for offer, they will give those jobs to people living locally.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Liked: 1
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2004, 04:33:20 PM »
agreed with marls unfort.  i can't see the jobcenter being helpful at all!

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2004, 04:50:38 PM »
Zepp, what background/skills do you have?  You need to be realistic when determining whether or not you have the skills to obtain a work permit.  In order to be sponsored by a company, they must prove that you are more qualified than anyone else in the UK or the EU.  You keep mentioning hospitality and I'm thinking that's service work, like waiting tables, catering, or working in a hotel.  If that's your background, you're probably going to have a hard time as I just can't see employers offering to sponsor you for a work permit for that kind of work because there are plenty of people here who can do those jobs.  Moreover, going through JobCentre plus isn't really going to help you.  The job they advertise aren't really specialty positions that would attract applicants from all over the world. 

If you're not eligible for a work permit, your only other option as I see it is to come over here to study.  If you don't want to go back to school, then you're kinda stuck.  If you would come over to study, you'll probably need to wait until the next university year starts (September) as you're not going to have time to apply, sort out financial aid, find a place to live, apply for your visa, move, etc., in six weeks or so (if you're wanting to be over here by January).

Not trying to be harsh, just trying to be realistic.  There are ways for you to get here, but they aren't the "easy" ones.  If you really want to be here, you're going to have to work for it, but hey, that'll mean you'll appreciate being here even more once you make it! 

« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 04:52:09 PM by lolabola »

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2004, 04:53:01 PM »
or just find a brit wife.  ;)

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2004, 04:56:28 PM »

Don't encourage him,  Aimiloo!   ;D

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2004, 05:08:34 PM »
*snort*

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2004, 05:09:17 PM »
hey, i loved london before i loved my husband.

it just so happens my ideal mate was from my favorite city in the world!

Please note, i am not advocating marrying someone cause of where they live! Hello Greencard!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 05:13:09 PM by Aimiloo »

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2004, 07:03:10 PM »
thanks for the replies...i know its not easy...i only mentioned hospitality jobs because of the sectors based scheme and the fact that it targets non eu citizens (i.e.: me)

I have a BA in criminology w/ a minor in sociology.  unfortunately i cant do too much with that besides police/probation/court work without having indefinate leave to remain...aint gonna get that.   

i have 4 yrs commission sales experience selling appliances/electronics/bedding...hope to do something with that..maybe work for a company or rep for them

as for school..i cant see myself goin back and to go to school when i dont know what i want to do with my life just to enter the uk is not worth it

• azroomie & james
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2004, 09:41:41 PM »

...who can support you while you both figure it all out!!..  ;D ;D 
Best of Luck though...
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2004, 02:15:49 AM »
does anyone know of any U.S. based agencies that deal with getting overseas jobs? 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab