Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Why would you say that?  (Read 3232 times)

• Liked: 1892
Why would you say that?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 10:50:57 AM »
As much as I hate to disagree with the accepted opinion, I've found that the BBC Olympics coverage mostly shows the British all the time.  It's natural.

I'm not sure that it's a problem that the new prime minister is not front page news in the US, it's just not that significant. 

http://www.sarmonster.net/UK.htm

People in the US are talking about the important stuff, like Brexit .

Maybe the person who made the comment to the OP was a fan of Murder She Wrote and thinks it's a documentary!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 10:52:20 AM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 3595
Re: Why would you say that?
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 12:35:36 PM »
As much as I hate to disagree with the accepted opinion, I've found that the BBC Olympics coverage mostly shows the British all the time.  It's natural.

It probably depends on the sport but for the gymnastics specifically, any BBC coverage (not just Olympics) will show the routines of the top gymnasts, regardless of nationality. They will focus on the big names in the sport - which is also what the online streaming coverage on NBCOlympics.com was doing. But on prime time NBC for the team finals they only showed the routines of the US and Brazil and barely even mentioned the medal contenders from other countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 01:40:40 PM »
It probably depends on the sport but for the gymnastics specifically, any BBC coverage (not just Olympics) will show the routines of the top gymnasts, regardless of nationality. They will focus on the big names in the sport - which is also what the online streaming coverage on NBCOlympics.com was doing. But on prime time NBC for the team finals they only showed the routines of the US and Brazil and barely even mentioned the medal contenders from other countries.

That must be a newer thing. I remember watching the Olympics (summer and winter) and always getting to see the top of the leaderboard athletes and the Americans. To be honest when I was younger I only ever watched gymnastics and some of the swimming for summer and winter's was mostly ice skating and some snowboarding and skiing.

And you really can't compare the BBC to the US tv networks. They work differently and the BBC is a beast unto its own. US tv networks run off of their advertising revenue, and not all of the Olympic events are revenue generating because there simply isn't a lot of interest. No US tv network could afford to show the Olympics live all day. Well, they could probably afford to, but they'd rather make money. I think you could catch most of it on one of the ESPN channels, but those are cable or satellite so you pay for the privilege. 
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 01:49:21 PM »

Then they've changed things. I watched the summer Olympics in 2012 on whichever channel had them and that's how it used to be. Online streaming was still new thing and internet connections weren't as good as they are now so most people would watch on TV. I find it a bit sad that they've changed to that. My guess is it's a way for them to show the "relevant" athletes to the audience and cut down how much time they have to devote to the Olympics. Though the medal contenders should be shown because they are relevant. That's just weird.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 04:26:14 PM »
Team Great Britain is having a heck of an Olympics by-the-way.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 05:36:50 PM »
They are - I unfortunately missed the gymnastics finals yesterday as I was busy and I'm gonna miss them today because I'm spending the day in airports/on planes

• Liked: 111
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 04:39:27 PM »
My family are from Mexico so they always reminded me to "be mindful" when I was abroad since that place isn't the safest. I spent a lot of time convincing my less-traveled US friends that England was a relatively safe country and I encouraged them to visit me. Of course, the first night my best friend visited me in February 1996, trains were cancelled all over London because a bomb went off in Canary Wharf. The next month, another friend visited and Dunblane happened. And a third friend visited and my husband couldn't wait to take them north to his hometown in Greater Manchester but the M6 was closed due to an IRA threat where they claimed bombs were planted along the route. My father, who didn't watch news in English (he watched Univision) called me because the bomb that decimated the Manchester Arndale Centre was on his tv and he wanted to know if I was okay. I was on a train going to Deansgate so it was a close call. My Dad said, "be mindful". My US friends refused to visit after that and then 9/11 happened. My friends stopped having any kind of interest in spending time away from their cities and towns and our friendships deteriorated sadly. I've been in the US for 12 years and only my in-laws have visited. Despite the fact that they've had pleasant visits over the years, they still claim to be fearful. My brother and sister-in-law refuse to visit because of what they hear on the tv or see in the papers. It's quite sad really. That is why my in-laws are visiting in the US in December for the last time.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 12:18:52 AM »
It is a pretty tasteless remark.  Buuuut, it happens within the US too.  Just try moving to Detroit sometime.  Especially when I moved here in 2000, you'd have thought it was the deepest, darkest pit of Hell (well, it kinda was there in 2008 or so.)

Calm confidence is the way to brush that off.  b*tch, please, if I wanted to get murdered I'd be staying -here-, not moving to Britain..

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab