Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Temporary Housing - Milton Keynes area  (Read 1618 times)

• Liked: 0
Temporary Housing - Milton Keynes area
« on: August 15, 2016, 05:49:09 PM »
Hello all, I am a new member here but have been stalking the forum for quite a while. My husband and I are transferring to the UK with our company next month, and we are having trouble finding reasonably priced temporary accommodation for our arrival. 

We have tried Airbnb, Homeaway, RightMove, GumTree, etc. and everything is close to the £3000 range for 2-3 weeks since they are more or less charging a nightly rate. Are we missing something? Is there somewhere else we can look that will give more of a discounted rate for longer stays?

Also, how long would you suggest reserving a temporary rental/holiday rental? We will be arriving exactly 3 weeks before we have to start work so we can focus on finding a permanent home, but have no idea how long it may take.

Thanks for all the help!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Temporary Housing - Milton Keynes area
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 06:20:32 PM »
Hello all, I am a new member here but have been stalking the forum for quite a while. My husband and I are transferring to the UK with our company next month, and we are having trouble finding reasonably priced temporary accommodation for our arrival. 

We have tried Airbnb, Homeaway, RightMove, GumTree, etc. and everything is close to the £3000 range for 2-3 weeks since they are more or less charging a nightly rate. Are we missing something? Is there somewhere else we can look that will give more of a discounted rate for longer stays?

Also, how long would you suggest reserving a temporary rental/holiday rental? We will be arriving exactly 3 weeks before we have to start work so we can focus on finding a permanent home, but have no idea how long it may take.

Thanks for all the help!

Hi!

I don't know if this is going  to help or not but here are a couple of links that came up for me when I searched at this end.

Most are not all that cheap but some are at least much better than 1k/week!

https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/rentals/united-kingdom/milton-keynes/r32154

https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/milton-keynes/orderby.price/

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 08:43:07 PM »
Thanks! Still not finding much that suits our needs but will keep looking!  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 11:22:30 PM »
When I took a job in the UK, the company provided a third party company to assist me in finding a house.  They took care of finding 30 day accommodation and helped me look at rentals (I need one that would accept cats).

I would recommend 30 days to find a place.  In the end, I think I moved in at about 3-ish weeks.

Can you see if your company can help?  I would have thought it would have been part of your package.  My company used Sirva. 

http://uk.sirva.com/

You may want to look into a local Travelodge and see if they will do a weekly rate...  Sorry, it's not better news!  I would think £2,500 - £3,000 for a month is about right for corporate housing.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 11:39:36 PM »
When I took a job in the UK, the company provided a third party company to assist me in finding a house.  They took care of finding 30 day accommodation and helped me look at rentals (I need one that would accept cats).

I would recommend 30 days to find a place.  In the end, I think I moved in at about 3-ish weeks.

Can you see if your company can help?  I would have thought it would have been part of your package.  My company used Sirva. 

http://uk.sirva.com/ [nofollow]

You may want to look into a local Travelodge and see if they will do a weekly rate...  Sorry, it's not better news!  I would think £2,500 - £3,000 for a month is about right for corporate housing.

Thanks, unfortunately our company doesn't help with anything so we are on our own. We are hoping to at least find something permanent within 3 weeks, but there may be a gap between when we sign a lease and when we can actually move in, so it's a little scary not knowing what we need.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 10:09:53 AM »
You could try Foxton's, they have a link on their site for short lets.   I just saw the first link is for a penthouse in Knightsbridge for £40,000 per week!  Hope you can find cheaper. 

During that 3 weeks, are you looking for a place to rent or buy?  If it's to buy, that won't be near enough time.  If it's to rent, maybe you could skip the short term rental and just look for your long term one instead. 

Short term rentals are a bit unusual here, and the punishment for trying to do something unusual is usually to be overcharged wildly.  Renting long term is normal.

Sponsored Links