Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bizarre Jobs and Current Jobs  (Read 14531 times)

• Liked: 68
Re: Bizarre Jobs and Current Jobs
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2016, 04:10:54 PM »
The hardest part will be picking a killer URL. After that, you do what you do best, push through SEO and social media, do some networking ... you could eventually gather your best material and pitch a book. 

Awesome! Thanks for the inspiration! I am not very good when it comes to making websites so if you have any suggestions please send them my way. I am doing a blog for someone else right now on WordPress and they want their own domain now. Turns out WordPress make that very difficult haha So I am at a loss what to do for my own website! I've always been decent t creating content but when it comes to what platform to use and design, I'm useless!

• Liked: 85
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2016, 04:15:08 PM »
I miss it so very much. I loved spending time in the Performance Art building at my university. A good chunk of my friends were vocal performance majors and musical theatre students. Sometimes I think I should have gone that route in school...Or simply put in more work. No point in regrets, eh? Technically, I'm in my prime years if I got off my butt and did some work. I just... would hate to annoy my neighbours with opera practice and warm ups.

It's Britain, everything annoys the bloody neighbours. Which is fine, they irritate me, too. The secret is that the neighbours actually admire someone doing something different, they just won't say so out loud.

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2016, 04:19:41 PM »
I miss it so very much. I loved spending time in the Performance Art building at my university. A good chunk of my friends were vocal performance majors and musical theatre students. Sometimes I think I should have gone that route in school...Or simply put in more work. No point in regrets, eh? Technically, I'm in my prime years if I got off my butt and did some work. I just... would hate to annoy my neighbours with opera practice and warm ups.

Dont worry about them! They may enjoy it :) If all my neighbors did was sing, then I'd have good neighbors. Unfortunately that is not my case haha

• Liked: 154
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2016, 05:25:10 PM »

You don't work for the major water company in London do you?

No I think that's Thames water. I work for the eastern part of the country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2016, 05:54:35 PM »
If all my neighbors did was sing, then I'd have good neighbors.

My next door neighbours have a family jazz a capella group and they are fantastic. They also play various instruments.....one of them is banging on the drums right now. I found them after googling my village to see what would come up....and there they were at our village hall.....doing The 5th Fifth Dimension's version of Up Up and Away... 

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 537
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2016, 01:58:07 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the inspiration! I am not very good when it comes to making websites so if you have any suggestions please send them my way. I am doing a blog for someone else right now on WordPress and they want their own domain now. Turns out WordPress make that very difficult haha So I am at a loss what to do for my own website! I've always been decent t creating content but when it comes to what platform to use and design, I'm useless!

To be honest, you probably want to use a blog platform like blogger or wordpress to start out, unless you know someone who will create your custom website for free. At least having a customisable layout gives you some freedom, do you know someone who can help you create your personal header artwork for it?

It's really going to depend on what sort of content you plan to post and how much control you want over how that content will look when you publish it.

Tumblr is really easy to use, has a lot of different post options and has scores of layouts to choose from, and you can easily add in your own web url easily. I know a lot of artists use tumblr for their pages to keep in contact with their fan base. It has a really handy app that works great and you can make post from anywhere as long as you have mobile signal. You can even have sub-blogs under the same main account login with different URLs. You can also sync it to twitter, facebook and instagram. (I have a for fun tumblr blog that has devolved into just re-posting things from other people on)

You already know wordpress... are these the directions you're using to add the domain to it?
https://en.support.wordpress.com/map-existing-domain/

And I personally used blogger when I did my own blog for a bit. It was user friendly, easy to use and there were quite a few layout options and adding in all sorts of widgets was easy. It's owned by google so it's already plugged into all of googles various things, you just have to turn some of them on. At the time I researched a lot to see which one was more user friendly and blogger won hands down. It also has a WYSIWYG post editor. You don't have complete control over how you content will look, but you have a lot. I couldn't always get added pictures to do what I wanted, which annoyed the perfectionist in me...

Once you decide on your web address, look into how available part of it is for a twitter account. With football a twitter account would be fantastic for exposure... The only thing there is you are bound to get some horrible things said to you by the twittersphere if you say something people don't agree with. Women in the media have a lot of trouble with that...
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2016, 02:04:16 PM »
It's Britain, everything annoys the bloody neighbours. Which is fine, they irritate me, too. The secret is that the neighbours actually admire someone doing something different, they just won't say so out loud.

Haha, well that's good to know. When I practice it's not exactly quiet. I'll have to look and see if I can find any vocal teachers nearby. I don't really need technique so much anymore, but someone who can actually play the piano! haha.

Dont worry about them! They may enjoy it :) If all my neighbors did was sing, then I'd have good neighbors. Unfortunately that is not my case haha

Well, we have two family's on either side of us, neither is all that loud. But the kiddos tend to make a lot of noise in the one. We're a mid terrace.

My next door neighbours have a family jazz a capella group and they are fantastic. They also play various instruments.....one of them is banging on the drums right now. I found them after googling my village to see what would come up....and there they were at our village hall.....doing The 5th Fifth Dimension's version of Up Up and Away... 

That's so cool. I love that there are so many options available here for the arts. It seems that they get quite a lot more respect.
(Respect is definitely the wrong word here, but I just can't pull in the one I want at the moment.)

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2016, 04:48:20 PM »
Lyonaria -- follow your muse.  Dust off those vocal chords.  Both my kids were members of Leeds Youth Opera for years and loved it.  Surely there'll be a G&S group or some such near you.  :)

>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2016, 07:25:12 PM »
Lyonaria -- follow your muse.  Dust off those vocal chords.  Both my kids were members of Leeds Youth Opera for years and loved it.  Surely there'll be a G&S group or some such near you.  :)

There is one in Derby, it's just quite the hike at the moment since I don't have my UK license yet. But I am definitely going to get off my butt and get a move on. I've missed it for too long.

« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2016, 04:36:41 PM »
Thanks for all of that Lyonaria!

I love the layouts of WordPress however to add your own domain will cost a bit since you cannot do so without their premium or business plans.

I like blogger for the very reasons you stated, but I think I want more control. I don't think I want a homepage that goes straight to blog posts, if that makes sense? I'll have to have a better look to see if I can manipulate it to what I have in mind. I don't have anyone to do any custom header for me...basic it is then, for now :-/

My Twitter right now has somehow over 1,000 followers but those are mainly other football fans. I'm sure if I got anything out there I'll get a few good re-tweets and mentions to hopefully help that number grow and views on a future blog.

So inspired! :-)

« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2016, 05:31:04 PM »
Thanks for all of that Lyonaria!

I love the layouts of WordPress however to add your own domain will cost a bit since you cannot do so without their premium or business plans.

I like blogger for the very reasons you stated, but I think I want more control. I don't think I want a homepage that goes straight to blog posts, if that makes sense? I'll have to have a better look to see if I can manipulate it to what I have in mind. I don't have anyone to do any custom header for me...basic it is then, for now :-/

My Twitter right now has somehow over 1,000 followers but those are mainly other football fans. I'm sure if I got anything out there I'll get a few good re-tweets and mentions to hopefully help that number grow and views on a future blog.

So inspired! :-)

I think to get what you want, you're going to have to pay a little bit. I can't think of any free blogging platforms that have the ability to have a homepage which links to various pages including your blog.

http://makeawebsitehub.com/choose-right-blogging-platform/
has some really useful info on various platforms.

I was reading the article and Bluehost (which uses wordpress) is on sale right now. This is the bit off of the article.

UPDATE: AUG 18TH 2016
GET BLUEHOST’S HIGH QUALITY HOSTING FOR A SPECIAL PRICE OF $2.95 PER MONTH (12 MONTH PLAN)
Normally this would cost you $7.99, so that’s a massive 61% off! Plus you get a free domain name worth $15.

Jump on this deal now while it lasts!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 05:39:51 PM by lyonaria »

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2016, 09:01:18 PM »
I'll have a look into it tomorrow but money is tight :-/ Maybe I should just stick with WordPress now and get a domain later. It annoys me though because I know I can get a domain for very little a month. Oh well, that's the way it works i suppose!

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2016, 03:49:42 PM »
I'll have a look into it tomorrow but money is tight :-/ Maybe I should just stick with WordPress now and get a domain later. It annoys me though because I know I can get a domain for very little a month. Oh well, that's the way it works i suppose!

That's a very viable plan. And you can buy the domain name at any time -- when you come up with the right one, snap it up. Buying the domain name is cheap, and means you'll have prevented someone else from getting there first. Then, when you have the money, tie it to Wordpress and pay that ongoing fee.

Sorry about falling of the face of the earth. I was in the far reaches of the Wirral, and am now playing catch-up with work. So many clients, so little time. On the other hand, I haven't had to wear a bra in ages, so I can't complain. Happy to help in any way I can -- shall DM you my email address in case you have need for it!

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2016, 05:15:07 PM »
Dang. Can I say how very impressed I am and how baldy I want to ask for details? You've done what so many people dream of doing. I've always wanted to go to Comic Con, I just never made it happen when it was a doable drive. haha. 12 hours is doable, isn't it? That's how long it took us to get to Anaheim to visit Disneyland.

If you're ever looking for a Beta Reader, I'd be happy to offer myself up. I love a good book. I tend to read fantasy and sci-fi, but I've been branching out into genres. I'm all about a good immersive narrative. :) One of my favourite books lately was 'The long way to a small angry planet' by Becky Chambers. After looking up what's considered speculative fiction, it's mostly what I read. A new term, always good to know!

Might take you up on that offer once the second draft is complete. (Also, I'd pay you, if that helps.) I say 'spec fic' because it's a good catch-all. Keeper of the Moon (the one I'm working on) is sort of a YA fairy tale tackling contemporary issues, and Lighthouse at the Edge of the Universe (different book, not a series) will be a sci-fi murder mystery. But there's a lot of crossover between sci-fi and fantasy and magic stuff, so I lump them all in together.

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet is now on my kindle -- thank you for the recommendation!

« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2016, 12:10:53 AM »
Might take you up on that offer once the second draft is complete. (Also, I'd pay you, if that helps.) I say 'spec fic' because it's a good catch-all. Keeper of the Moon (the one I'm working on) is sort of a YA fairy tale tackling contemporary issues, and Lighthouse at the Edge of the Universe (different book, not a series) will be a sci-fi murder mystery. But there's a lot of crossover between sci-fi and fantasy and magic stuff, so I lump them all in together.

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet is now on my kindle -- thank you for the recommendation!

Wow... are you me in an alternate more successful timeline? Cause dang. The two books you describe are right up my alley! I wouldn't say no, but I would do it for the love of a story. If you'd like me to just let me know what exactly you'll need from me feedback wise. I'll keep a journal handy and not do my typical power through until it's done cause I just have to read it. 😁

You're so welcome! I think the next book in the series comes out this year. I've read 5 or 6 other awesome books in the last few months. I'm always happy to offer up suggestions.
Uprooted by Naomi Novik
Warbreaker by Brian Sanderson

Both were simply amazing.  Uprooted is steeped in magic and has some fantastic fairy tale bits. And Warbreaker is something I had never read the like.

Sponsored Links