Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: we will NEVER forget  (Read 6881 times)

• A Photographic Journey
  • Liked: 1
Kinky is using a feather.  Perverted is using the whole chicken. 😝😝

• Liked: 170
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 533
Re: we will NEVER forget
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 07:15:35 PM »
That was a sh*t day...

Very bad....and still affecting things...
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• A Photographic Journey
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 07:51:37 PM »
 New York City was where I was born and raised and worked for most of my adult life  - in lower Manhattan,  Wall St. area where this tragedy occurred.

I don't know if any other expat ever feels this way but I feel guilty for not having not been there at  time. I know it doesn't make any sense but I feel like in a way I've abandoned my hometown.  I worked directly opposite the World Trade Centre and had I not moved to the UK I would've been there, just arriving for work at the time that the planes hit. It's an odd combination of relief, sorrow and guilt.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:54:09 PM by atheana »

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 07:10:21 AM »
I don't know if any other expat ever feels this way but I feel guilty for not having not been there at  time.

While it was an American tragedy (I often wonder if there isn't still a lingering mass PTSD), certainly you New Yorkers were affected uniquely. I think that b*stard factored that in when planning the attacks.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 07:28:15 AM »

I was on a plane flying to DC at the time (via a connecting flight). The 9/11 report mentioned my flight number because box cutters were found after we landed back in California after being turned around. My flight took off at 6:01am CA time (9:01am NY time).

I was 17. Changed my life. Changed a lot of lives. My sis lived in lower Manhattan (was at NYU). She has a photo of one tower being standing. I worry about what she breathed in.

What a sh*t day.

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 08:39:12 AM »
I was 17. Changed my life. Changed a lot of lives.

You know, personally, I don't really talk about it here...and the few times it has been brought up, I tend to sort of shrug it off and move the conversation along. I think I don't want to be seen as the American guy who bangs on about 9/11.

But when thinking on it...and early Saturday morning I clicked on a photo thingie...and got quite emotional over it...looking back in my mind there is a line there, a before and after. 

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 11:16:06 AM »
I can argue and laugh with people who think the moon landings were a conspiracy, but people who argue that 911 was a conspiracy infuriate me.  I don't know how prevalent that view is in the US, but I get it frequently in Europe and the UK.

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 11:27:55 AM »
I worry about what she breathed in.

There was a great article in the Guardian on Saturday about Hillary Clinton's work regarding air quality after 911.  According to the article, she worked really hard and did a great job supporting people who were affected while the Bush administration was insisting that there was nothing wrong.  I'm not happy that the big story to come out of the Memorial Day is of her being sick rather than what's really important.  I don't mean to start a inappropriate political argument here, so if anybody wants to argue it might be best to start a new thread.

• A Photographic Journey
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 11:56:16 AM »
I can argue and laugh with people who think the moon landings were a conspiracy, but people who argue that 911 was a conspiracy infuriate me.  I don't know how prevalent that view is in the US, but I get it frequently in Europe and the UK.

There are people who will make a conspiracy theory out of anything.  There is a general suspicion of all governments around the whole world but unfortunately particularly the American.  But I cannot believe that one sane person could actually attribute 911 to the American government. 

While it was an American tragedy (I often wonder if there isn't still a lingering mass PTSD), certainly you New Yorkers were affected uniquely. I think that b*stard factored that in when planning the attacks.

I think that you are probably right, there is and always will be at least in our lifetime a lingering PTSD particularly amongst New Yorkers.

I was on a plane flying to DC at the time (via a connecting flight). The 9/11 report mentioned my flight number because box cutters were found after we landed back in California after being turned around. My flight took off at 6:01am CA time (9:01am NY time).

I was 17. Changed my life. Changed a lot of lives. My sis lived in lower Manhattan (was at NYU). She has a photo of one tower being standing. I worry about what she breathed in.

What a sh*t day.
what were the box cutters used for? I heard these mentioned in connection with the other flights as well. I think that in many ways 911 changed a lot of lives ... irrevocably.  I pray your sister will be okay.

You know, personally, I don't really talk about it here...and the few times it has been brought up, I tend to sort of shrug it off and move the conversation along. I think I don't want to be seen as the American guy who bangs on about 9/11.

But when thinking on it...and early Saturday morning I clicked on a photo thingie...and got quite emotional over it...looking back in my mind there is a line there, a before and after.

I don't think 911 is anything to "shrug off" and I certainly don't think that a person who talks about it should be seen as a guy who "bangs on about it".  I don't think that soldiers who talk about their experiences in World War II would be considered any less for talking about it. It's the same thing with 911. And yes I agree with you, very clearly, there is definitely a before and after line.

There was a great article in the Guardian on Saturday about Hillary Clinton's work regarding air quality after 911.  According to the article, she worked really hard and did a great job supporting people who were affected while the Bush administration was insisting that there was nothing wrong.  I'm not happy that the big story to come out of the Memorial Day is of her being sick rather than what's really important.  I don't mean to start a inappropriate political argument here, so if anybody wants to argue it might be best to start a new thread.

I don't think you're starting any argument, merely stating what you think.  Unfortunately I think that capital is going to be made out of Hilary being unwell. Let's just pray that she is not.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 06:07:07 PM »
people who argue that 911 was a conspiracy infuriate me.  I don't know how prevalent that view is in the US, but I get it frequently in Europe and the UK.

I've never heard this!  Out of curiosity, what's the supposed 'theory'?  What are they suggesting has happened?

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 06:26:12 PM »

what were the box cutters used for? I heard these mentioned in connection with the other flights as well. I think that in many ways 911 changed a lot of lives ... irrevocably.  I pray your sister will be okay.

The hijackers used box cutters to take control of the planes... They were allowed through security at the time.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 06:28:20 PM »
I've never heard this!  Out of curiosity, what's the supposed 'theory'?  What are they suggesting has happened?

There are a few different one's actually.

The one I hear the most is that the US Government knew that there was a planned attack and rather than stopping it they let it happen so they could put forth all the legislation that happened afterwards. TSA, NSA, all that jazz. People want to feel safe and don't mind their freedoms and right to privacy being infringed upon if they think it will make the world safer.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 06:36:54 PM »
The hijackers used box cutters to take control of the planes... They were allowed through security at the time.

You could do a lot of damage with a boxcutter, especially if it's got a new blade in it. My dad always had a few around, he works construction. I didn't realise that that's another word for a utility knife was until after 9-11. I kind of can't believe they were allowed in carry on luggage though. But I didn't fly anywhere until I was in my 20's.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 10:42:16 AM »
Google it if you like, but be careful because it will all sound plausible at first and you could fall down the rabbit hole.   

Sponsored Links