Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Antenna not the right size.  (Read 2295 times)

• Liked: 9
Antenna not the right size.
« on: September 18, 2016, 01:54:41 PM »

Bought an antenna and it doesn't fit. Any idea of an adapter?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
Re: Antenna not the right size.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »
Someone may make an adaptor....

What is going on here? Is that a television and an old analogue antenna? Because I think TV is all digital now.....you need a digital box....
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 02:24:23 PM »
No. It's a LCD TV that's from the USA. I used a digital antenna with it in the USA

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 02:47:51 PM »
There seem to be a lot of adapters about but no idea which kind you would need.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tv+aerial+adapter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=1ZneV5X_IcfU8gfS7rSQCQ

Will your US TV even work here?

You may be better off asking that question here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/

• Liked: 36
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 08:02:19 PM »
Hi,

You've semi answered your own question!

The connector on the LCD TV is a screw type connector and often used with Satellite/Cable TV box outputs or a 'digital antenna' as you mention.

It sounds as though the TV is over 'here' in the UK (from the USA) and it'll most likely not work via the Ant In connection as it'll be a USA model which uses the NTSC video system. The UK uses the PAL system so unless internally the TV has a multi region / decoding feature it won't work to receive UK television broadcasts, be that over the air or via a satellite/cable tv box.

Your best bet would be to purchase a new UK television.

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

• Liked: 63
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 08:11:56 AM »
I brought my TV from the US in 2011. I use a Freeview box which works just fine. (Mine was dual voltage, so no need for a converter.) The picture via the Freeview box is actually better than I got with a digital antenna. I connect via the HDMI connection.

The TV is a bog-standard Vizio, and was not expensive, and as we had a 40' container there was no cost to ship over and above everything else that was coming over, plus I have the advantage of watching all my DVDs via an ancient dual voltage multi-region DVD player that has both NTSC and PAL output.

Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 06:18:33 AM »
Funny workaround. Bought a USB stick that will work with my PC.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 09:38:02 AM »
The connector on your equipment is called an 'F' type and the connector on your cable is called an RF connector.

Here is an ebay link for the adapter you need, although if you are comfortable working with cables and plugs, you could cut off the RF connector and buy a 'F' connector from somwhere like B & Q or Screwfix and fit it yourself.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-F-Male-Plug-to-PAL-Female-Jack-Straight-RF-coaxial-adapter-F-type-Adapter-/262044515401?hash=item3d0311fc49:g:0wQAAOSw9r1V8uOJ

However as others have said if your TV is analogue it will not work in the UK as all Free To Air broadcasts here are now digital. If you wanted to use it you would need a seperate Freeview box,  if you can't pick up a cheapy second hand unit, the cost of a new one might make replacing the TV the more economical option.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab