Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: W8-BEN Form and US Tax  (Read 10686 times)

• Liked: 111
Re: W8-BEN Form and US Tax
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2018, 07:32:25 PM »
[ETA: I discovered the "Where's my refund?" service and the IRS2Go phone app. Both say they can't give me any information, which is a bit concerning considering it is more than two months since I submitted my 1040NR]

Hat tip to Guya.

See post #18
"The IRS promise a 6 month delay in processing refunds on 1040NRs..."

https://www.taxprotalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10584

Also, post #25 on the same page (from juro)
"The IRS delayed the refund for six months, while they sent me notices asking for more information."

It could be to the different types of refunds,.......?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2018, 02:02:52 PM »
I tried to register with the IRS to check if they actually had a record of a credit from fidelity. Guess what, although I have an ss# I can't because I don't have a us address.
 I'm wondering whether to get a us accountant to file this time to show me how to do it. When I gave up my resident alien status I forgot to tick a box on a form Took them 4 months to tell me demanding a reply in 3 weeks.

I'll have a look at the forms required before I decide. I'd appreciate knowing what you filed.

Thanks very mich for your help with this.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2018, 04:46:27 PM »
Hat tip to Guya.

See post #18
"The IRS promise a 6 month delay in processing refunds on 1040NRs..."

https://www.taxprotalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10584

Also, post #25 on the same page (from juro)
"The IRS delayed the refund for six months, while they sent me notices asking for more information."

It could be to the different types of refunds,.......?

Somewhere in the ether, one of my former posts recounted the various issues that would delay my refund by several months, one of which was that residing overseas delays things and that it also means I have to receive any refund by check (checque). I was thinking that after 2 months I might at least be told "We have received your 1040-NR".

It's worrying that we essentially have to wait several months before finding out whether our tax return was even received.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2018, 05:07:07 PM »
Somewhere in the ether, one of my former posts recounted the various issues that would delay my refund by several months, one of which was that residing overseas delays things and that it also means I have to receive any refund by check (checque). I was thinking that after 2 months I might at least be told "We have received your 1040-NR".

It's worrying that we essentially have to wait several months before finding out whether our tax return was even received.

Have you tried using this site?

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-time-guide-check-refund-status-online-with-wheres-my-refund

With your SSN and exact value of expected refund you might at least see if it has been received.  I have used this site successfully in the past although not since I've been residing overseas.  Last tax year (2016) I asked that the refund be applied to next year's taxes.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2018, 05:13:34 PM »

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-time-guide-check-refund-status-online-with-wheres-my-refund

With your SSN and exact value of expected refund you might at least see if it has been received.  I have used this site successfully in the past although not since I've been residing overseas.  Last tax year (2016) I asked that the refund be applied to next year's taxes.

I just tried using the site for my 2016 return and it couldn't find it despite me filing electronically and having the confirmation email from the IRS of the exact date it was accepted. Oh well....

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2018, 06:09:41 PM »

That was the site I was referring to in my earlier post (the one on Jan 9th). I also installed the app. I just tried again, and same result from both sources:

Refund Status Results

We cannot provide any information about your refund. Be sure to:
verify your filing date;
check with your tax preparer

If you filed a complete and accurate tax return, your refund should be issued within six weeks of the received date. However, processing may take longer under certain circumstances.

- I don't mind waiting (well, I do, but I almost expect it), it's the uncertainty and inability to at least obtain confirmation of receipt in this information age that I find hard to take.

It just adds insult (we're going to keep you guessing for another 4 months) to injury (we're going to take $5,000 from you even though it contravenes the DTA, and make you wait 18 months before you see it again")

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2018, 08:19:49 PM »
That was the site I was referring to in my earlier post (the one on Jan 9th). I also installed the app. I just tried again, and same result from both sources:

Refund Status Results

We cannot provide any information about your refund. Be sure to:
verify your filing date;
check with your tax preparer

If you filed a complete and accurate tax return, your refund should be issued within six weeks of the received date. However, processing may take longer under certain circumstances.

- I don't mind waiting (well, I do, but I almost expect it), it's the uncertainty and inability to at least obtain confirmation of receipt in this information age that I find hard to take.

It just adds insult (we're going to keep you guessing for another 4 months) to injury (we're going to take $5,000 from you even though it contravenes the DTA, and make you wait 18 months before you see it again")

I did miss you saying that you had already tried that site, sorry about that.

At least when you owe taxes you know when the cheque is cashed or money withdrawn. I once didn’t receive my refund from Louisiana IRS and eventually called them. They said they had lost my return and would I send the return in again. (This was back in the day before online filing). I did refile and eventually got my refund.

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2018, 11:17:15 AM »
Augh! Letter in the mail from IRS today (mailed on 20-11!). I didn't sign the bloody 1040!

Form now signed and sent back. What an idiot.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »
am v interested in this topic but cannot see how to subscribe to the thread; does this feature exist?

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2018, 04:20:26 PM »
am v interested in this topic but cannot see how to subscribe to the thread; does this feature exist?

At the top and bottom right corners of each thread are 4 buttons. The first button is "Reply" the 2nd button is "Notify", which is what you click to get notifications on the thread. (same as subscribe)

Sponsored Links