Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Stuff  (Read 3485 times)

• Liked: 149
Stuff
« on: September 27, 2016, 05:51:58 PM »
It's been a couple of weeks since anybody has complained...so....

I'm getting real tired of young folks tearing up the trails I keep trying to fix. Beer cans....parties....etc garbage along the trails near the river. I don't get it....if they can bring all that crap down to the river.....why is it so hard to take it away with you? If they took it away, then "old" folks like me (59) wouldn't care. I just keep plodding away carrying packs of rocks/sand and fixing the trail. I used to fix the trail with larger rocks.....but the b**tards keep throwing the larger rocks in the river.

A point my wife made after 4 years back in the Spokane area......All those people who put up decorations in their yards for Christmas/Halloween etc....blow up Santa's......lots of lights etc. Her response...."If they did that back in the UK someone would destroy the lot just for the fun of it".

As a final whine...complain.....how come the Trump supporters hate Clinton lying/being dishonest (which I agree with)..... but totally ignore Trumps lying/dishonesty? I don't get it.

I love living in the UK.....don't get me wrong.....it's just different things to complain about (damn those supermarket trolleys!!!!).
Fred

• Liked: 68
Re: Stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 08:37:05 AM »
I feel the youth here are far more disrespectful than back home. Don't get me wrong...this is certainly not all kids (I am blessed with a well mannered 12 year old stepson!) but it seems many just have a general disrespect for authority, their surroundings, anything that anyone puts any effort in really. I too want to decorate my door with a wreath for the holidays but fear that the kids in the neighborhood (ones who don't even live in my building) will destroy it. It's sad!

And yes I wonder the same about the hypocritical remarks from Trump and his supporters. I just don't get it. I am baffled how people even believe Trump in the first place. Scaremongering at its best.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 10:35:58 AM »
Vandalism and litter upset me terribly. Antisocial behaviour in general.

I hesitate to compare now/then, US/UK...about whether things have worsened, but I do remember when this kid named Dewayne and I were walking down an alley when we were about 10. We had swords we had made from palmetto branches (always ended with bloody knuckles). There were a couple of old style garbage cans nearby and we grabbed the lids to use as shields (they were almost perfectly designed for this).

Well out of his work shed pops Old Man Daniels. He gives us hell and I remember him saying to me, "You are Peggy's boy....I'm going to give her a call," and my blood ran cold and I asked him to please not do that if he could find a way. Whatever mischief we got into....the threat of our parents finding out always acted as a break.....or at least we were very careful/hid it well.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 68
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 01:21:24 PM »
In my area, sometimes the parents are just as bad. The kids were throwing rocks and putting stickers on the windows of the flat below us. The kids were confronted and the parents came out and threatened the poor victims for telling off their kids! It's a horrible issue though and one that is supposedly being dealt with.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 01:28:11 PM »
You could look your problems with the path from a different angle- people want to go there to party and drink beer because it is nice.? You've got one thing in common with those little barstewards!   They leave trash because they think the council will clean it, it's not personal against you.  They throw rocks in the water because it's natural and fun to do.  If they knew you personally carried those rocks, I bet they would be respectful. 

I'm not sure how you can turn this knowledge into action, perhaps you could leave a sign asking people to take trash away.  Or get the council to install a garbage bin and empty it.  Most importantly, try to be happy that other people want to be in the place you created.  Even if they don't know yet how to behave....

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 03:27:49 PM »
Most importantly, try to be happy that other people want to be in the place you created.  Even if they don't know yet how to behave....

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal; you are the one who gets burned."

- Buddha
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 07:06:24 PM »
Anger.....naaaa.....that can be saved for Trump supporters that refuse to realise his faults ( I was driving a bunch of them nuts on Facebook last night). I have adjusted to only filling my backpack up with a sand/rock mixture. Still gets rid of the mud holes....and you would have to be nuts to get down on your hands and knees to pick that out of the ground. This way I still get to improve the trails.....and the people that see me do it are grateful and think I'm working for the Conservation group (which I really should at least join). 

Just as a side note.....I tried to attach a picture through Dropbox and all I could get it to do was attach my whole Dropbox list.....is there a way to get only one picture? Anybody know? I tried through the attach an image and the hyperlink.
Fred

• Liked: 154
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 08:38:26 PM »
Different from vandalism, but there is so much fly tipping in our area. There's a legal city dump 15 mins away.  It makes it look so...trashy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 09:53:34 PM »
Different from vandalism, but there is so much fly tipping in our area. There's a legal city dump 15 mins away.  It makes it look so...trashy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Are you down south? We don't get much of that around here, but I sure remember a lot of it when I lived in High Wycombe+Newbury back in the 80's.
Fred

• Liked: 537
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 10:43:36 PM »
They're pretty bad in our area with graffiti at the moment. There's a walking tunnel under a road near us and idiot teens have written crap like 'white power' and 'ganga is great' and a cartoon penis and a woman's torso.

And lots of broken glass. It sucks. I have to be so careful with my dogs.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 08:06:58 AM »
Are you down south? We don't get much of that around here, but I sure remember a lot of it when I lived in High Wycombe+Newbury back in the 80's.

No, we live in Cambridgeshire (Peterborough to be exact).  We don't live in the nicest part of town but I still see it everywhere. Drives me crazy

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 08:09:05 AM »
They're pretty bad in our area with graffiti at the moment. There's a walking tunnel under a road near us and idiot teens have written crap like 'white power' and 'ganga is great' and a cartoon penis and a woman's torso.

And lots of broken glass. It sucks. I have to be so careful with my dogs.

I've called the council probably three times because by the park near our daughter's school constantly has broken beer bottles all around and in the grass. I'm always picking it up so kids don't cut themselves.

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 09:18:58 AM »
we live in Cambridgeshire (Peterborough to be exact).  We don't live in the nicest part of town

Just where is the nice part of Peterborough? I lived there for close to a year and never found it.

/kidding..

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 05:43:41 PM »
Just where is the nice part of Peterborough? I lived there for close to a year and never found it.

/kidding..

Haha the outskirts. A lot of new developments going in and those areas are nice, but there definitely are some scummy areas. I think when we buy a house we will venture out a bit. We're kind of stuck as my husband has a daughter from previous relationship.. otherwise we'd both like to move further.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »
As a final whine...complain.....how come the Trump supporters hate Clinton lying/being dishonest (which I agree with)..... but totally ignore Trumps lying/dishonesty? I don't get it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-facts-dont-matter-to-trumps-supporters/2016/08/04/924ece4a-5a78-11e6-831d-0324760ca856_story.html?utm_term=.75f2fddba750
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab