Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Is my job search struggle normal or possibly discrimination?  (Read 2721 times)

• Liked: 5
Re: Is my job search struggle normal or possibly discrimination?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 04:37:12 PM »
So, I guess it's a good thing to know it isn't exactly my experience, my nationality or any nonsense like that, however I could really use some steady income.

I think at first I thought the fact that it could be xenophobia holding me back made me feel better about my rejections because that means I'm not to blame for my troubles, but then I got a little salty about it. Hopefully soon the options start rolling in from the ones I haven't heard back from yet.

I'll definitely look into project management certifications; I agree that could help me out even if not right away.

So, I'll learn to be patient. I don't like it, but I'll learn. Guess I'll have time for that cruise then.

• Liked: 85
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 04:45:50 PM »
Odds on KFDancer are 2/1, get your bets in.

Barb, you can arrange everything, then add it to the CV as your first UK work experience: Project Manager, Nautical Services, London. I'll endorse you on LinkedIn and all.

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 04:56:29 PM »
I can dig a new job title. I think I'll get a nameplate made for my desk I don't have:

Barb
Maritime Management

• Liked: 957
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 06:32:37 PM »
Barb - I know it doesn't help you get UK experience, but you may also want to consider remote contract positions in the US. It can at least keep you employed while you try to get the relevant UK qualifications.

I am in the middle of things, laid off from my job in the US before applying for my marriage settlement visa, and I'm genuinely hoping I can find a remote job because it will pay more than an comparable job earns in London. (Which is insane, considering the difference in cost of living, but it's just how IT in the UK is because they can hire a bulgarian programmer for a fraction of the price.)

*sigh*

It's all so overwhelming. I'm also trying to get my SAS certification (I'm a data/BI person) before I move in hopes employers will see that and know I have some qualifications.

• Liked: 56
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 07:08:13 AM »
Keep chuggin' away Barb, you will get there in the end. Took me almost a year (I had some paperwork kerfuffle too) for a proper professional job (Im in strategy consulting, so a ton of competition) for a 9 month maternity cover that was extended another 9 months (and should really have been permanent but I got thrown under the bus by a real paranoid jerk). I made connections at that job who helped me get two interviews for good next steps, one of which has just made a formal offer for a permanent role.

It will happen for you too, especially with data skills!  And there ARE companies in the North looking for those skills, and willing to pay for them. My partner works on the ingestion side of data and works with some big pharma companies up there. A buddy of his (a Latvian) took a job with crazy good pay and excellent perks in a remote area outside Manchester because they were desperate for his skills. I know its hard to hear after 6 months of looking, but all you can do is keep going, learn and get qualifications (oh,and people love throwing it into your face about how qualified they are, but cant actually do the damn job) to check their boxes, and do what you can.

Finally - I have to agree that UK companies really couldnt manage to plan a picnic in less than a month. Also, they wouldnt communicate said picnic in an effective manner, leading everyone to guess about location, dress code, if they should bring food, etc. It can be a frustrating place to work until you get use to their norms which are, shall we say, a little less urgent than those in the US. But I have also made some awesome friends here at work, both British and Other, so its not all bad! :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 01:11:49 PM »

Finally - I have to agree that UK companies really couldnt manage to plan a picnic in less than a month. Also, they wouldnt communicate said picnic in an effective manner, leading everyone to guess about location, dress code, if they should bring food, etc. It can be a frustrating place to work until you get use to their norms which are, shall we say, a little less urgent than those in the US. But I have also made some awesome friends here at work, both British and Other, so its not all bad! :)

I will second that. It doesn't exactly take over 2-3 months to plan a company BBQ for less then 60 people when it's being held at your office... but that's how long it took them to plan that last one at my last corporate job. They really like their meetings over here...
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 82
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 06:30:09 PM »
It took me 7 months and was a temp job through an agency, it took another tear to get a permanent job. A month really isn't a long time job hunting in the UK. Hang in there.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 68
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 07:06:44 PM »
I've been out of work a year now, so I started my own business, which isn't going well, so I'm back on the job hunt for now. I have two degrees from UK universities and have been working here from 2010-2015. It's definitely not you, just the harsh reality of it all right now as I can see from other's posts as well!

Edited to add: Although I have just read about Amber Rudd's plan to have all businesses declare how many foreigners they're employing, with perhaps an intention to name and shame employers that employ a bit that could be jobs for British people. I do worry this will open legal discrimination in the future :-/
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:58:03 PM by BriKH »

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 10:30:05 AM »

I'm genuinely hoping I can find a remote job because it will pay more than an comparable job earns in London. (Which is insane, considering the difference in cost of living, but it's just how IT in the UK is because they can hire a bulgarian programmer for a fraction of the price.)

Do you have some numbers on the salary difference between London and the US?  I've often wondered how big it really is. 

I've only worked with Bulgarians once, the overwhelming nationality that works for well below the market rate is Indians.  Occasionally you get Romanians or Moldovans. 

One plan of the Brexiteers was to take advantage of the lack of EU protections and allow businesses to hire even more foreign IT workers., but not from Europe (they meant India). This would benefit companies because they can pay their IT workers less, and IT joins the long list of industries that once had good jobs that allowed you to live like a human.  I'll be competing on pay with poor guys who are forced to leave their families, live in overcrowded slum conditions and work for less than the minimum wage. 

I'm not sure if this approach is the latest plan because who knows what the plan is?

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 12:03:20 PM »
Closing dates for interview applications can be 1 month long, add on time to review applications, put them forward to the relevant department for further review, time to find a date when interviewers are all in the office etc etc etc. It can take a long time to hear back so, although I know it's frustrating for you, don't be too surprised.

When I started looking for work when I'd been out for a while, or was in a new country, I signed on with as many temp agencies as possible and accepted everything that was offered. Getting in country and recent work experience showed that I was employable, and references from those employers helped me to get the eventual permanent job.

Good luck, I know it might seem like you're in an impossible situation but keep plugging away and you'll find something :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 02:36:51 AM »
Do you have some numbers on the salary difference between London and the US?  I've often wondered how big it really is. 

...... .....

I'm not sure if this approach is the latest plan because who knows what the plan is?

I'll give examples that I know of from personal experience -

My DH is a mid-level/senior Java platform developer. He'd *easily* be earning $75k USD here in Buffalo, probably more, where a small house in a nice area costs less then $100k USD for the mortgage. I'm pretty sure he's underpaid, but earning about 45k GBP in London, where a tiny flat rental costs significantly more than my mortgage. In NYC his skills would be a 6 figure salary. He's worked with Bulgarians in all of his jobs around London, so that's where the comment came from. My old company had 2/3 of our technology staff in India, working long hours for a fraction of the pay. Super awesome to have them be a "peer" and know you're living a significantly better life.

I have another friend who immigrated to Switzerland. The company wanted to hire him in London, but the "competitive" pay they could offer him was 2/3 of what he was earning in the US - hardly worth uprooting your life for. He's now earning over 200k (I think - it was a generous offer but can't remember exact #'s) in swiss currency for the same company, because while the cost of living is more pay is significantly more competitive there.

For me - I'm a mid-career business intelligence dev (SAS/Cognos/Business Objects) but without a degree/certifications, so I expect around 60k USD. In 5 years I'd anticipate earning 15-20k more in Buffalo, it'd be more in bigger cities. All the jobs I've found posted with a salary are in the 30-40k GBP range, occasionally 50. It's definitely closer with BI than straight programming, possibly because there's a bigger need to understand the data you're working with and communicate the findings, but to me it's not relative to cost of living *at all*.

So - with the current exchange rate, and the challenges that seem to happen with finding a UK employer and this crazy declaration of foreign workers on the horizon, if I can find a remote job I'll be a lot more secure. The news of this week has honestly caused me panic attacks because I was starting to be frightened of the move with Brexit, now it seems like they want a noose around the neck of foreigners who have every right to be in the country and working.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 02:45:21 AM by margo »

• Liked: 533
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2016, 08:36:36 AM »
. The news of this week has honestly caused me panic attacks because I was starting to be frightened of the move with Brexit, now it seems like they want a noose around the neck of foreigners who have every right to be in the country and working.

We are entering strange territory. And I can't see, any way I look at it, a change in the direction of Government for at least 15 years.

I think the only possibility is a crash.....either China..... London property...world debt.....to shake things up.....but that is terrifying.

As it stands now....this language we are hearing.....
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2016, 11:51:50 PM »
Thank you everyone for all the words of encouragement... I actually was just offered the role of Design and Development Manager at a web design company very close to where I live in Lancaster! I got the call to set up an interview the same day I was moping and complaining on here about not being able to get any bites, go figure. I'm elated. :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2016, 11:11:42 AM »
Thank you everyone for all the words of encouragement... I actually was just offered the role of Design and Development Manager at a web design company very close to where I live in Lancaster! I got the call to set up an interview the same day I was moping and complaining on here about not being able to get any bites, go figure. I'm elated. :)

Fantastic!!!  I hope it's a perfect fit.  :)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2016, 11:18:30 AM »
Congrats on the offer Barb!  Don't forget to negotiate hard on your salary, some jobs will shamelessly take advantage of those who don't negotiate.

Sponsored Links