Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can I have both a UK and a US licence?  (Read 2247 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: Can I have both a UK and a US licence?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 11:05:04 AM »
I've done driving lessons with an instructor in a Manual because I drove one back in the States and didn't want to take the test again to drive any car. 😖 When I get nervous I fall back on a lot of US habits I have that are NOT okay for driving here.

I lean more towards this line of reasoning and think we should all consider this more.

The urge is to get the license as soon as possible (not the least due to American social construct)....but I have always thought that we may not take our driving responsibilities seriously enough. 

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 585
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 12:22:03 PM »
but I have always thought that we may not take our driving responsibilities seriously enough.

Who is the 'we' in your comment above?  And what makes you think this?

• Liked: 533
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 12:50:26 PM »
Who is the 'we' in your comment above?  And what makes you think this?

Well I am biased....treasurer of the local terrible driver club.

But don't we hear pretty often that under stress sometimes ingrained habit can pop out and the car ends up momentarily on the wrong side of the road? Chances are no harm is done, but....

I am not saying people should not drive in foreign countries....just that it is a pretty big responsibility....
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 585
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »
Well I am biased....treasurer of the local terrible driver club.

LOL!

But don't we hear pretty often that under stress sometimes ingrained habit can pop out and the car ends up momentarily on the wrong side of the road? Chances are no harm is done, but....

I am not saying people should not drive in foreign countries....just that it is a pretty big responsibility....

Driving is actually one of the few things I am really good at.
Or so I thought...
until this past summer when I was driving a hire car in Dallas and, for the first time ever, ended up on the wrong side of the road!  :o :o :o
Thanks to a couple of cars honking at me, I realised quite quickly and no harm was done, except to my pride.   :-[

• Liked: 107
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »
It is ridiculous here in the UK - insurance costs are shockingly expensive.

My wife was allowed to drive here on her license (for an additional £100 which is fine) when she was at her most naïve, inexperienced period of driving in the UK but after a year when she is more experienced she has to get a license? My biggest complaint is with insurance. She is then treated as a BRAND NEW driver with no reference to driving for 10 years prior, insurance then shoots up to an additional £700 a year. Stupid
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 21
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 02:04:32 PM »
Look into Aviva car insurance. They're the only insurer over here that took into account my US driving history and no claims. I did get quotes from other insurers, but they all treated me like a brand new driver, so the insurance rates were outrageously expensive. I got my UK license (automatic) back in October, and I've stuck with them.

I've kept my Ohio license. Last year I spoke to a rep at the BMV and explained my situation. She told me that I can still maintain my Ohio license living in the UK. I still hold an address in Ohio, too, so it's not like I'm just using a random friend's address or something. My license comes in handy, plus there's a strong chance we may move to Ohio in a few years, and I don't want to retake another test (though now that I've passed the UK driving test, I feel I can pass most anything!).
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 107
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 03:00:52 PM »
Fantastic to know! Thanks Karlee!
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 08:35:24 PM »
We are with Aviva for the exact same reasons, Karlee. Saved us literally thousands of pounds. I've still got my Kentucky license too - I just renewed it the last time I was there. I was going to give my parents' address but they didn't even ask.

• In my nothing you meant everything to me
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »
Look into Aviva car insurance. They're the only insurer over here that took into account my US driving history and no claims. I did get quotes from other insurers, but they all treated me like a brand new driver, so the insurance rates were outrageously expensive. I got my UK license (automatic) back in October, and I've stuck with them.

I've kept my Ohio license. Last year I spoke to a rep at the BMV and explained my situation. She told me that I can still maintain my Ohio license living in the UK. I still hold an address in Ohio, too, so it's not like I'm just using a random friend's address or something. My license comes in handy, plus there's a strong chance we may move to Ohio in a few years, and I don't want to retake another test (though now that I've passed the UK driving test, I feel I can pass most anything!).

I also found this extraordinarily helpful. Thank you. I am just now looking into the logistics of driving in the UK and the meerkats told me insurance would be at least £800/year for me!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 06:06:34 PM »
It definitely depends on the state. Some don't care; some (VA is one) require you to report any change of address within 30 days, and also specify that a license is ONLY issued to a resident of VA. If you use a relative's address, you could face criminal prosecution. (I know that sounds harsh, but that's the way it is there.)

You also need to be aware that retaining a US license can be used to deem you resident for state tax purposes. Again, this varies by state, but is something you need to consider if you don't intend to return to the US in the foreseeable future.

What? Why is VA such a pain.  I am so confused now.  So since I don't own property and my current address is my parents house, if I ever make it to England. Do I have to report a change of address?  I guess I can understand if I owned a house and sold it and had no address at that point and therefore using a relatives' address would be wrong. I have tried to find the answer on VA DMV and I am obviously not looking in the right place. I dont want to lose my license, I just renewed it lol...though its still in my maiden name and my husband wants me to change it, but it all seems like too much of a hassle and we applied for the uk spouse visa 7 days after we got married which didn't allow for a new passport, or license etc.
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 07:51:32 PM »

You need to look at this: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#applying.asp. You must show proof of legal presence and proof of VA residency. Also read this: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#legal_presqa.asp, including the links to specific documents.

Owning (or not owning) property is not proof of residence or legal presence. You can own property in VA, but not be resident (think beach houses at VA Beach as one example). VA is VERY clear that you must have a legal address (and actually live in VA) to have a license. If you use your parents' address, and heaven forbid are involved in an accident, you may also be charged with driving without a license. Also, if you use false information to obtain a license, you could be prosecuted. And, while you can drive on a valid US license for 12 months in the UK, if that license is found not to be valid....well....insurance might not pay if there's an accident.

You need to get a UK license as soon as possible - forget holding onto that tie to VA. It's no advantage whatsoever.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

Sponsored Links