Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Christmas songs  (Read 4491 times)

• Liked: 68
UK Christmas songs
« on: November 07, 2016, 04:54:08 PM »
Nevermind that it is far too early for Christmas songs but you can't escape them if you're out and about shopping. However, does anyone else find the Christmas songs here nerve grating and repetitive? One can only take so much WHAM!, Cliff Richard, and "It's CHRISTMAS!!!!"... :P

I miss the classics like "White Christmas" and "The Little Drummer Boy".

And I can't even begin to tell you how much I miss the classic Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer  :\\\'(

• Liked: 1891
Re: UK Christmas songs
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 05:05:25 PM »
I always thought it was me that's such a grinch to absolutely hate the 4 or 5 songs that are constantly repeated!  Like you say, the absolute worst is the Slade song that just says "it's Christmas " over and over and over...

I'm always surprised that Christmas here is focused on staying in your house for a week, getting absolutely hammered and watching TV.   For one solid week!

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 05:21:14 PM »
I'm always surprised that Christmas here is focused on staying in your house for a week, getting absolutely hammered and watching TV.   For one solid week!

Me too. I found it weird that the pubs were always open for a few hours on Christmas, however I have since embraced this  ;D There's also plenty of sales on for alcohol.

But back home, my family never spent the day drinking. Well, maybe Dad but the aim of the day wasn't to get hammered. I thought this was just my family though as no one drinks a lot.

Something else that I've noticed though are the Boxing Day sales. Before I met my husband, I had no access to a car and since buses still dont run on Boxing day, you're out of luck on reaching any sales unless you want to pay an arm and a leg for a taxi. Minor, but something I noticed :-P

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 05:41:37 PM »
I've yet to find a deal in a Boxing Day sale, personally.  I think it's a lot of hype and not much action.   :P

Yet EVERY year we need to make some kind of purchase and my husband insists on waiting until the Boxing Day sales - only to learn that we could have bought it the same price a couple of months earlier.   ::)

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 05:48:25 PM »
The only after Christmas sales I ever liked were BHS. In fact, BHS was my go-to place when I had to find gifts for people I had no clue what to get for them. I don't know where I'm going to go now!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 05:52:26 PM »
The only after Christmas sales I ever liked were BHS. In fact, BHS was my go-to place when I had to find gifts for people I had no clue what to get for them. I don't know where I'm going to go now!

M&S?

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 06:01:12 PM »
M&S?

Do they have the same gift sets like BHS did? They were great! I feel M&S may be a bit out of my price range though!

• Liked: 111
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 06:20:18 PM »
I always thought it was me that's such a grinch to absolutely hate the 4 or 5 songs that are constantly repeated!  Like you say, the absolute worst is the Slade song that just says "it's Christmas " over and over and over...

To be fair, Noddy Holder doesn't say "It's Christmas" over and over but twice. It's actually "Merry Christmas, Everybody's Having Fun" that is sung over and over and over until it freaking plays again and again until November of the next year...

I can't stand Christmas songs in either country, to be honest. If I had to listen to any by choice, I don't really mind Wham! (I'm an 80's lady so...) or Shakey's "Merry Christmas Everyone" and I'll tolerate Wizzard and even Slade and McCartney and his irritating "Wonderful Christmas Time". My absolute hates are "Fairtale of New York" or "All I Want for Christmas is You". Those two make me RAGE! I've been known to leave stores when they come on. They definitely do not put me in a festive spirit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 06:35:42 PM »

Yeah, i'm not a fan either Jim.

Absolutely hate most of the UK Christmas music and you rarely hear my favourites like White Christmas, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Santa Baby, etc.

I'm in a holiday funk.
I miss my family and the holidays here in the UK seem so much more lackluster than what I'm used to.

Edited cause my darn phone autocorrected Santa to Santander.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 08:33:15 PM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 06:37:09 PM »
Do they have the same gift sets like BHS did? They were great! I feel M&S may be a bit out of my price range though!

I think they do have that sort of thing but yes, probably more expensive.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/c/christmas

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 07:09:22 PM »
Hubby usually buys something electronic like a tv on Boxing Day or a few days later. One year it was a 3D tv which we now never use the 3D part of.

I miss American xmas carols too like some of the country music singers singing white Christmas or I'll be home for Christmas
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 07:24:17 PM »
I'm making a Spotify playlist this year so I can have my American classics on Christmas eve and while opening gifts on Christmas day :-) I'll be quite over the fairytale of new York and Wham by that point anyways I'm sure.

• Liked: 584
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 09:41:56 PM »
To be fair, Noddy Holder doesn't say "It's Christmas" over and over but twice.

I'm thinking it's only once he says it.   ???

Anyway, I LOVE the Slade and Wizzard songs -- great nostalgia.  Same with the 1984 Band Aid single. 

However, a quick check of iTunes shows the 3 most-played songs in my Xmas playlist are:

Christmas & Glasgow - Deacon Blue
In The Bleak Midwinter- Smith & Burrows
O Holy Night - Andy Williams

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 08:19:12 AM »
Maybe he means "over and over" as the song gets played repeatedly! That's what I meant by repetitive anyways. It seems like the same few Christmas pop songs that are played constantly.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 10:51:49 AM »
I always found Fairytale of New York completely inexplicable, much like Jimmy Saville.  Why would anybody think that a horrible song about two toothless alcoholics screaming at each other on the street is "Christmasy". 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab