Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Christmas songs  (Read 4490 times)

• Liked: 584
Re: UK Christmas songs
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 01:18:26 PM »
Maybe he means "over and over" as the song gets played repeatedly! That's what I meant by repetitive anyways. It seems like the same few Christmas pop songs that are played constantly.

I see what you mean... you're probably right.  :)
But still, I like the song.  :)

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 01:31:13 PM »
I always found Fairytale of New York completely inexplicable, much like Jimmy Saville.  Why would anybody think that a horrible song about two toothless alcoholics screaming at each other on the street is "Christmasy".

What about finding joy in unlikely circumstances?  They're down-and-out drunks slung into the jail, but still... when they hear the old man singing The Rare Old Mountain Dew and NYPD 'choir' singing Galway Bay, it makes them think of happier times, and home. 

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 02:13:02 PM »
What about finding joy in unlikely circumstances?  They're down-and-out drunks slung into the jail, but still... when they hear the old man singing The Rare Old Mountain Dew and NYPD 'choir' singing Galway Bay, it makes them think of happier times, and home.

Maybe the first time.  After I've heard it a few thousand times....

• Liked: 68
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 02:58:46 PM »
Ive just noticed that the new Tesco advertisement has the "IT'S CHRISTMAS!!!" song in it and sure enough at the end of the advert it shouts that every time.

This is what I get for complaining about it hahaha!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:29:41 PM by BriKH »

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 04:09:24 PM »
[Chorus:]
So here it is, Merry Christmas
Everybody's having fun
Look to the future now
It's only just begun

Repeat x 2000

• Liked: 111
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 05:32:06 PM »
[Chorus:]
So here it is, Merry Christmas
Everybody's having fun
Look to the future now
It's only just begun

Repeat x 2000

That's what I said. Noddy shouts at the beginning and the end (over the chorus but I could be wrong, I'm not about to listen to it if I don't have to) but it's the blinking chorus that is sung over and over until next November until it starts for the next year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 05:38:01 PM »
My MIL puts on Chris Rea's "Driving Home for Christmas" and will literally sob like a child. I asked her why but she just says it makes her emotional. It makes me uncomfortable witnessing it! She and my FIL are visiting for Christmas and she just asked me if she could bring her CD of Christmas songs (it has that Chris Rea song) because she puts it on repeat all Christmas Day and it's a tradition for her. I guess I should buy a few boxes of tissues. ??!!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 06:13:54 PM »
"Driving Home for Christmas"

'Till now I thought that was Marc Cohn.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 08:38:23 PM »
That's what I said. Noddy shouts at the beginning and the end (over the chorus but I could be wrong, I'm not about to listen to it if I don't have to) but it's the blinking chorus that is sung over and over until next November until it starts for the next year...

I've just listened to it, and only heard 'It's Chriiiiiiistmas!' once.  But who knows... maybe there are different edits of the song?

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 08:39:57 PM »
I've just listened to it, and only heard 'It's Chriiiiiiistmas!' once.  But who knows... maybe there are different edits of the song?

You've gone out and listened to it! I knew someone would break down and do it! Bwah ha ha!

• Liked: 387
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2016, 09:11:28 PM »
Yet EVERY year we need to make some kind of purchase and my husband insists on waiting until the Boxing Day sales - only to learn that we could have bought it the same price a couple of months earlier.   ::)

Story of my life, right there!   ;D

And I shall leave this:

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2016, 09:12:43 AM »
As a musician, my December is chukka-blok with concerts, busking, and carol services.  I've already had to start rehearsing said Christmas music.  None of it's pop music, it's all carols, traditional music, etc, and it's very fun when we start. However, between this and all the constant blaring of the pop songs in the shops, I'm pretty sick of Christmas music come the 26th December!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »
Brass in the cold is no fun...always out of tune.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 18
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2016, 06:03:31 PM »
And I shall leave this:

I love it!  That may become my new favorite Christmas song.   ;)

Out today with my sister in law at a very early holiday fair (faire?), and for the first time in many years heard Alvin the Chipmunk's *cough* lovely *cough* voice singing a Christmas song that I can't seem to remove from my brain....

.... I think I'll listen to the Christmas Can-Can a couple dozen more times, that should help.   :P
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

• Liked: 21
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »
I'm in a holiday funk.
I miss my family and the holidays here in the UK seem so much more lackluster than what I'm used to.

I agree. Not that Christmases here aren't nice, it's just not the same. My husband's family isn't as close as mine, so they don't all get together or do anything that special. Christmas is a big deal in my family and they go all out. My husband has spent a couple Christmases in Ohio with my family and he loved it. He compared it to Christmases you see in the movies, like Home Alone or something.

I used to not mind the Slade Christmas song, but it's so overplayed now that I don't care for it. Not a big fan of UK Christmas songs... I too miss the classics! O Holy Night is my favorite. Each year though, I play "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas" just to drive my husband nuts. Gayla Peevey, a child star from the 1950s, sings it. Sounds like she inhaled helium.
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab