Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting asked about Trump.  (Read 2749 times)

• Liked: 149
Re: Getting asked about Trump.
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 04:22:32 PM »
Damn.....and now I have to agree with jimbocz. I need another beer........sexism and racism have been there all along....just hiding and biding their time. I don't like it. But people have been in denial for a long time hoping things had just gone away.....
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 04:33:05 PM by F4mandolin »
Fred

• Liked: 35
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 04:41:39 PM »
My wife is:

• Female
  • Mexican
  • Disabled

The next president must really despise her. And that is how she feels. :( Any yes, she is having to field questions about him every time she goes out.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 04:55:14 PM »
Damn.....and now I have to agree with jimbocz. I need another beer........sexism and racism have been there all along....just hiding and biding their time. I don't like it. But people have been in denial for a long time hoping things had just gone away.....

I've been called a "wetback", "darkie", "spic" (amongst others I choose not to share) and been told countless times that I "need to go back to Mexico" or the taunts that "la migra" was coming and that I should hide or other stuff since I was five years old. I've also been hired at a job not due to my skills but to fill a quota. All of this since Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, PM Major, PM Blair, W and Obama. So, it's always been there. My mother used to say that the words, the taunts, the crap said more about the people giving the insults than me. It's NEVER got me down. Sure, it would be great not to have to put up with it in the first place but I just deal with it and now other people know what some of us have always lived with.

To be honest, I'm feeling sad because of what is said to me from my fellow Mexican people and women. The Mexicans tell me that I am an embarrassment to my ethnicity or call me names like "coconut". Women in my friendships and family have called me a "disgrace to women everywhere". All I have done is voted Republican.
So, who is intolerant now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 05:16:39 PM »
I've been called a "wetback", "darkie", "spic" (amongst others I choose not to share) and been told countless times that I "need to go back to Mexico" or the taunts that "la migra" was coming and that I should hide or other stuff since I was five years old. I've also been hired at a job not due to my skills but to fill a quota. All of this since Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, PM Major, PM Blair, W and Obama. So, it's always been there. My mother used to say that the words, the taunts, the crap said more about the people giving the insults than me. It's NEVER got me down. Sure, it would be great not to have to put up with it in the first place but I just deal with it and now other people know what some of us have always lived with.

To be honest, I'm feeling sad because of what is said to me from my fellow Mexican people and women. The Mexicans tell me that I am an embarrassment to my ethnicity or call me names like "coconut". Women in my friendships and family have called me a "disgrace to women everywhere". All I have done is voted Republican.
So, who is intolerant now?
I don't get the point. I "think" I'm pretty tolerant. Mexican neighbour.....never had one(well, way back when I got out of college....nice folks)....wouldn't bother me for a second. Black neighbour.....same thing. Asian etc etc etc. The only A**hole neighbours I have had are white. I'll take a decent Martian any day.......
Now.....the worst neighbours I have had were Germans.....does that mean Germans are crap? (I lived 10 years in Germany). I also had some really nice neighbours there.....really nice. People are nice/crap everywhere.

The only question I have.....are you a good person? If so.....glad to have you as a neighbour.

Discrimination/prejudice are not going away any time soon. The EU might find that out next.......Italy voting coming up in early December.
Fred

• Liked: 111
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 05:52:30 PM »
My point F4Mandolin is that firstly, racism has always been around. To me, I've experienced it first hand since as far as my memory goes back (1975) to today. Back in the day, it was sadly led by people who were different from me. Now, it's people who are Mexican and female, just like me. The difference is that I didn't vote like them. So much for the "tolerant" left.

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 06:00:04 PM »
So much for the "tolerant" left.
Spot on.......
Fred

• Liked: 134
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 06:25:47 PM »
I like to think that I am pretty tolerant.  I think what makes this different is just how divisive Trump has been throughout his campaign.

I can understand why people are conservative.  I can understand why they vote Republican.  I don't agree with them, but I can understand.  What saddens me with this election is that those people cannot see how, in this election, their vote for the Republican candidate condones the racism, misogyny, xenophobia, and bigotry seen throughout his campaign.  You don't have to exhibit racist tendencies yourself to condone racism.  That is my problem.  It's not that my candidate did not win.  It's that a candidate who could be so derogatory towards so many groups of people was elected to the highest position in the country.

So, yes, I cried when I heard the news, not because I am a sore loser, but because I am legitimately worried about how my family and friends may be affected. 
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 537
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 06:38:17 PM »
That's not fair, I dislike all this racism and sexism as much as the next person.  I'm also very unhappy to have to admit to myself that half of America is willing to vote for racist policies. I've got a lot of thinking to do about my future relationship with the US and what I'm going to tell my kids. 

I was just suggesting that crying and being physically sick about it for three days is maybe not a healthy reaction.  I'm no shrink, but it might be worth exploring ways of dealing with political dissatisfaction in better ways. 

Anyway, sorry to hear about your migraine and hope you feel better.

Uhm. Not even remotely Jimbocz. I never said you thought racism and sexism was okay. Just that you don't understand where some of us are coming from.

Unless you've been sexually assaulted you couldn't possibly understand my issue.

I never said I've been crying for 3 days. Just that I cried on Wednesday too. I cried once. It was extremely disappointing.

And my migraine has been exacerbated from the election sh*t all over my Facebook and Twitter, but not caused by it. I've had migraines since I was 7 years old. 3 days isn't sh*t on the 15 day one I've had.

So thanks for the well wishes. I'm feeling better today.

But people have been in denial for a long time hoping things had just gone away.....

We weren't in denial. We all just thought that since we didn't see it happening that it had actually gotten better. Sadly, we were all wrong.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 06:47:02 PM »
We weren't in denial. We all just thought that since we didn't see it happening that it had actually gotten better. Sadly, we were all wrong.
[/quote
We? It's been in the news pretty constantly. Black lives matter? Police profiling and/or shooting people, etc etc. If people didn't see it happening.....they weren't looking.
Fred

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 07:07:12 PM »
We? It's been in the news pretty constantly. Black lives matter? Police profiling and/or shooting people, etc etc. If people didn't see it happening.....they weren't looking.

Seriously? I said we thought it was getting better not that it was no longer an issue. How could we know that SO many 'regular' people were hiding their true feelings behind closed doors?

And I mean all the sh*t going down where people are treating hispanic/Latino/muslim/black people terribly.  Of course I know about profiling. Only an absolute hermit wouldn't know about that. I'm talking about all the hate crimes and mistreatment that have gotten worse since Wednesday. Those things that weren't so unbelievably wide spread.

Did you look at that twitter link? I'm betting you didn't.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 35
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 07:23:48 PM »
My wife has been subjected to periodic racism most of her life in the US. Sometimes from strangers, sometimes from family members.

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 07:24:44 PM »
Did you look at that twitter link? I'm betting you didn't.

You would be right. From your post I assumed it was a bunch of nut-jobs.....why would I need to look at people being bad people? How have you come to the conclusion that I think Trump.....and the bad people who voted for him etc(or bad people anywhere).....is OK? Where have I ever indicated this?  I certainly don't think all Trump supporters are bad people.....but there are always plenty of icky people out there. My personal opinion is that there are a higher % on the Trump side of things.

I just went through a bunch of the Twitter posts.....about what I thought. Bad people. Again.....where have I ever indicated that Trump was a wonderful choice for Pres?

Again back to your previous post......I don't know how you could have thought things were getting better (and they likely are slowly....oh so slowly).....it's all over the news....constantly. I know you pay attention.....so I was just wondering about that comment. I can barely imagine what it would be like to be in some people's shoes......I, fortunately for me, have a good life.....and I am grateful for it.

Now.....I could be an ass and say this......In the last couple of weeks, I am better off financially with the Trump win. I would be more than happy to trade that in for Trump NOT to be the Pres. I think you are trying to paint a darker picture of me than is there.......
Fred

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2016, 08:07:03 PM »
You would be right. From your post I assumed it was a bunch of nut-jobs.....why would I need to look at people being bad people? How have you come to the conclusion that I think Trump.....and the bad people who voted for him etc(or bad people anywhere).....is OK? Where have I ever indicated this?  I certainly don't think all Trump supporters are bad people.....but there are always plenty of icky people out there. My personal opinion is that there are a higher % on the Trump side of things.

I just went through a bunch of the Twitter posts.....about what I thought. Bad people. Again.....where have I ever indicated that Trump was a wonderful choice for Pres?

Again back to your previous post......I don't know how you could have thought things were getting better (and they likely are slowly....oh so slowly).....it's all over the news....constantly. I know you pay attention.....so I was just wondering about that comment. I can barely imagine what it would be like to be in some people's shoes......I, fortunately for me, have a good life.....and I am grateful for it.

Now.....I could be an ass and say this......In the last couple of weeks, I am better off financially with the Trump win. I would be more than happy to trade that in for Trump NOT to be the Pres. I think you are trying to paint a darker picture of me than is there.......

You're putting words in my mouth. I never said anything other than you didn't look at the link.

I only said that 'we' thought the events being tweeted about in the twitter link were happening less often and not so brazenly as they had been in previous decades. And therefore thought that minority relations were getting better. We all wanted that to be true. And since this election cycle we've been seeing events like these happening more and more brazenly since this election cycle started.

It's so disheartening.

And how can you call people "nutjobs" for tweeting/posting about what has happened to them since the election results? They're simply documenting their experience.

And yeah, it was a bit asinine to say that. I already know you're better off. You're a white American male. It's pretty obvious.

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 08:11:17 PM »
My wife has been subjected to periodic racism most of her life in the US. Sometimes from strangers, sometimes from family members.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I know it happens, but I always hoped that it was happening less often. I'm white so I didn't see it as often.

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2016, 08:41:23 PM »
You're putting words in my mouth. I never said anything other than you didn't look at the link.

I only said that 'we' thought the events being tweeted about in the twitter link were happening less often and not so brazenly as they had been in previous decades. And therefore thought that minority relations were getting better. We all wanted that to be true. And since this election cycle we've been seeing events like these happening more and more brazenly since this election cycle started.

It's so disheartening.

And how can you call people "nutjobs" for tweeting/posting about what has happened to them since the election results? They're simply documenting their experience.

And yeah, it was a bit asinine to say that. I already know you're better off. You're a white American male. It's pretty obvious.

By nutjobs.......I am meaning people who are behaving badly.......not people who are videoing it. Thought it was obvious........ why would you think I am calling someone who is just videoing something a nutjob? The definition I see states "mad or crazy person". I lump people who do bad things to other people into this catagory.

And you have the guts to say since I am an American white male I'm obviously better off? Wow! Yep.....once you've seen one American white guy you've seen them all.....
Fred

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab