Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Children's book recommendations?  (Read 2997 times)

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
Children's book recommendations?
« on: November 15, 2016, 02:48:23 PM »
Hi all. I need to purchase a book for a baby shower. The recipient is having a girl. I know very little about children's books, and even less about children's books in the UK. Can anyone recommend a really cute book for a baby girl? Or even a small series of books I can purchase in the UK?  Thank you!
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• Liked: 4985
Re: Children's book recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 03:14:00 PM »
"That's Not My" books are always a big hit and very popular.  They are touchy feely books which are great for young babies.

But you can never go wrong with a classic like Good Night Moon.   ;D

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 03:21:03 PM »
For a baby, it almost doesn't matter, just pick one that has some black and white stripes.  I think they are all the same. 

For very small kids, I like "That's not my Train" or any of the ones in that series.  They have textured bits the kids can touch.

Once they are a bit older, the classics are Good Night Moon and The Very Hungry Caterpillar. 

Around that time, there is on of my favourite books of all time:

The lion and the little red bird https://g.co/kgs/x0VTja

Now that I think about it, the lion and the red bird is not far from the plot of "Arrival " if the bird was human and the lion was an alien.  My mind is blown now.

Sent from my iPhone

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 03:21:34 PM »
Snap!

• The Wordsmith Desk
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 06:39:20 PM »
For a baby, it almost doesn't matter, just pick one that has some black and white stripes.  I think they are all the same. 

Sent from my iPhone

I think the idea is to build up a library for when the baby is a little older. :)  Thank you for your suggestions!  I'll check them out.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 07:30:53 PM »
I definitely suggest the following. I loved them as a kid and my nephew does too too.

The Little Mouse, the red ripe strawberry and the big hungry bear. (super cute, is available in a board book)

If you give a mouse a cookie

The Gruffalo (the rhymes in it are SO much fun)

Moo Bah La La La and other books by the same writer. They're board books so they're great for tiny and young children.

They're by  Sandra Boynton

Oh, just saw you're looking for in the UK. The Moo Bah La La La books are available over here. They're fantastic for littles. I bought some for both my nephews when they were little.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 07:32:25 PM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• The Wordsmith Desk
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 10:03:10 PM »
Thanks, Lyonaria!  Yes, I am looking for books that are perhaps more popular in the UK. The reason is that the guest list for this shower is *huge* and I'm hoping to find a book/books that someone else doesn't also get (the shower is in the US). Thanks, again!

Thank you also KFdancer. I missed your post the first time!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 10:24:59 PM »
I'd suggest going to a big Waterston and check out their kids section! There are some great kids books.

One that I love but your never see in the book stores is a book called 'The cinder eyed cats'. It's gorgeous and the story is just lovely. It's about dreaming.
http://www.ericrohmann.com/pages/books/bk_cindereyed.html
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 10:19:10 AM »
One more of my favourites that is better when the kid is about 7:  "The Fish Who Could Wish"

Spoiler Alert :  his last wish was to be like every other fish in the sea.  Since wishing is one thing other fish can't do , this was his last wish that came true.

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 10:24:36 AM »
There's also "Click Clack Moo, Cows that can type " that explores a labor dispute on a farm precipitated by the cows learning to type. 

• Liked: 27
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 08:26:30 PM »
Full disclosure-I was a children's librarian in the UK for seven years, I go a bit crazy when people ask for recommendations.  I'll try and be brief.

I'm biased towards Nick Sharratt-my favourite being Shark in the Park.  All of his books are really colourful.  He also illustrated a book called Pants, which always goes down well, too. There was also More Pants (another classic, in my humble opinion!)  These are all available in the board book format, so able to chew on, drop, etc., all things that are very common with a baby. Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell is another great one, lovely flaps that baby will like, too!

• Liked: 134
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 09:55:17 PM »
I run the children's programs at the library at which I work so reading pictures books is my favorite work-time activity.

Shark in the Park is a great suggestion, and pretty much anything Julia Donaldson has written is very popular (Gruffalo, Stick Man, etc.).

My favorites are the Emma Dodd and Giles Andreae books.  There's a whole series with titles like I Love You, I Love Mum, I Love Dad, I Love Nan, I Love Dogs, I Love Bugs, etc.  Always very sweet.  Emma Dodd does an animals series that is really sweet.

If you're looking for touch-and-feel board books, I use a lot of the "That's Not My..." series at our Baby and Toddler sessions.  Right now we're reading That's Not My Hedgehog, That's Not My Goat, and That's Not My Squirrel.  At Christmas I break out the That's Not My Reindeer and That' Not My Elf.  These also come in a box set with three or four of the books.

If you want something for when the baby is a little older, the Fairytales Gone Wrong series by Steve Smallman and Neil Price is wonderful.  They take classic fairytales and twist them to teach a lesson.  For instance, the series includes "Get Some Rest, Sleeping Beauty" and "You're Not Ugly, Duckling."  Very good but perhaps a bit too old for a baby shower.

Last but not least, I will suggest the Mike Brownlow and Simon Rickerty "10 Little..." series.  I always nab these for Baby and Toddler when they come into the library.  Currently there are Ten Little Pirates, Ten Little Princesses, Ten Little Dinosaurs, Ten Little Monsters, and Ten Little Elves.

Goodnight Moon and the Giving Tree are my go-to shower titles, but those tend to be popular in the US.  Good luck with whatever you pick out!  There are so many good books out that that I am sure you will find something. 
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 09:14:24 AM »
Beatlemania, what books do you recommend for the 3 year old age range?  Would love some Christmas ideas!   ;D

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 01:03:17 PM »
My three-year-old son loves the Oliver Jeffries books (How to Catch a Star, Lost and Found, The Way Back Home), I Don't Want to Be a Frog, Oi Frog, and pretty much anything by Julia Donaldson and Axel Sheffler. Also "Little Blue Truck" and "Go Go Go Stop" - or really anything that's about vehicles or trains!

I love "Click Clack Moo" though it's not my son's favorite. "Duck was a neutral party" gets me every time!

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 02:22:32 PM »
My three-year-old son loves the Oliver Jeffries books (How to Catch a Star, Lost and Found, The Way Back Home), I Don't Want to Be a Frog, Oi Frog, and pretty much anything by Julia Donaldson and Axel Sheffler. Also "Little Blue Truck" and "Go Go Go Stop" - or really anything that's about vehicles or trains!

I love "Click Clack Moo" though it's not my son's favorite. "Duck was a neutral party" gets me every time!

Is there a new little tiny Inversed in the world these days?   :D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab