Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US to UK shipping recomendations.  (Read 975 times)

• Liked: 52
US to UK shipping recomendations.
« on: December 08, 2016, 03:31:18 AM »
So we are starting to do the cost benefit analysis of what to leave behind and what to bring. Of course this all depends on the cost of the shipping. I see a couple of people have used upackweship......anyone have any good experiences with any other shippers????

Thanks,

NWKH
UK Spouse Visa
Married: 2001 (Both Living in the US)
Biometrics: 27 Dec 2017
Received in Sheffield: 02 Jan 2018
Decision email: 24 Jan 2018 (17 Bus. Days)
Returned mail: 28 Jan 2018 It's a YES!!!
Landed in UK: 11 Feb 2018
Granted FLR(M): 22 Oct 2020
Granted ILR:  28 Feb 2023
Citizenship Granted:  18 Jan 2024

• Liked: 0
Re: US to UK shipping recomendations.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 06:58:56 AM »
I'm doing some research myself. I found USPS to be the cheapest, I dont know how reliable they are. They ship max 70lbs. Fedex and UPS are so expensive.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 08:26:59 AM »
I'm doing some research myself. I found USPS to be the cheapest, I dont know how reliable they are. They ship max 70lbs. Fedex and UPS are so expensive.

If you don't have a lot to ship, you may be better off paying for excess baggage and flying your things over with you. It would be worth asking your airline what their policy is.

I have also seen Transglobal Express recommended enthusiastically here on the forum. Apparently they give huge discounts on the usual carriers' prices.

http://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/

• Liked: 537
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 10:50:07 AM »
I'll second Larrabee on excess baggage. I brought over a second suitcase, over 50 pounds, for an extra $100 at check-in on my American Airlines flight. Two suitcases and 1 carry on all stuffed to the gills. I've got some boxes back in my parents house that I need to ship over sometime though... It's mostly books that I can't replace (they have different covers over here.

USPS is semi-relaible, but it's not a good idea to ship during the holidays and your packages WILL get stuck at customs for some unknowable amount of time, longest I've seen personally was about 9 days. I had a package that was being tracked and it didn't move for that long, it took over 2 weeks to get to me. They could also cause you to pay tax or duty on the items. My friend sent me a gift last month and I had to pay 25GBP for a single framed image that was listed as a gift. *sigh*
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 04:10:17 AM »
I'm flying American (using my miles). They allow max 4 bags. I have all these photos that would basically cover one whole suitcase. I was thinking of shipping that over instead. I've also got 20 pairs of shoes (which I have reduced down from 50). I might have to cut down more. So hard to chose what to bring.

Upak can ship two boxes for $250. Not sure what to do.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 10:00:34 AM »
I'm flying American (using my miles). They allow max 4 bags. I have all these photos that would basically cover one whole suitcase. I was thinking of shipping that over instead. I've also got 20 pairs of shoes (which I have reduced down from 50). I might have to cut down more. So hard to chose what to bring.

I don't know what kind of a timeline you're working to but I would recommend scanning your photos if you can. That way your precious memories are safe should the worst happen. Also, if you do that, you don't necessarily have to take them all with you assuming you have someone who can look after the rest.

If you do have someone you can leave things with, do that and  when you  return to the US to visit, exit the UK with empty cases and bring back more of your things each time you come back.   :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 10:56:34 AM »

Dang... 20 pairs of shoes? To be fair. I did have that many but only kept the ones I actually wear a lot. No sense in a pair of shoes thst only goes with one outfit I wear once in a blue moon. That outfit didn't make the cut either.

Remember the UK is VERY wet all year. People tend to wear boots, flats and classic pumps over here. As well as, right now, slightly platform boots, think doc martens.

Again. I agree with KFDancer. I've got a few real photos but most of mine are digital and I can print them out here for cheaper than it would be to ship them! And they're safe if the worst happens.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 52
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 04:30:19 PM »
Thanks all .. all very good ideas. 20 pairs of shoes....not gonna happen...lol..
UK Spouse Visa
Married: 2001 (Both Living in the US)
Biometrics: 27 Dec 2017
Received in Sheffield: 02 Jan 2018
Decision email: 24 Jan 2018 (17 Bus. Days)
Returned mail: 28 Jan 2018 It's a YES!!!
Landed in UK: 11 Feb 2018
Granted FLR(M): 22 Oct 2020
Granted ILR:  28 Feb 2023
Citizenship Granted:  18 Jan 2024

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 12:47:45 PM »
I brought so many pairs of shoes that just sat in my closet, untouched. Definitely consider the weather!

We did the excess baggage route, and crammed everything into giant duffel bags. Granted, we ended up buying a lot when we got here as well (we brought so much for our kid and not enough for us!) but it was still cheaper than using a shipping company.

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 08:05:34 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. I have managed to put all my photos in 3 small heavy duty boxes. Transglobal quoted me $260 for 43kg. I thought that was a decent price.

My question is what do you put on the custom forms and how do you put a value on personal belongings. I have mixed my photos with various things. Do I list each item? Or can I just put personal belongings?

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 02:27:54 PM »
Can I second the advice to scan those pictures?  On our last trip to the States one of our bags went missing and the process to get it back was haphazard and disorganised.  If that bag had contained all my pictures, I would have gone nuts.

Sponsored Links