Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Please Forgive Me  (Read 3401 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: Please Forgive Me
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2003, 04:26:16 PM »
Yeah for having a strong X!!!  Hmmm do they call those that don't have fragil x syndrome strong x's?  Okay bad joke but I am very very happy to hear your  daughter is progressing!

Hugs!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Liked: 24
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2003, 12:42:49 PM »
Staci, sorry I didn't watch this thread, the notifications weren't working properly at the time. You asked about mannerisms in my son that had me worried. hell, it's still a little worrying. ::)

He sleeps horribly, in phases, a month will go by where he'll wake up 3+ times every night screaming, no reason we can pin it on, the phase will pass and we'll have a couple of weeks with good sleep and suddenly he'll start the bad phase again, seems possible it can be triggered by a change in routine, ie. someone came to visit, stuff like that.

He's improved on this now, hasn't happened in a long time, he's been terrified of light reflections, shadows, patterns. Last summer we went through a period where he was terrified of the textured wallpaper in his bedroom, he wouldn't walk on a rug that was in the kitchen of the holiday house we were at in Wales, he screamed if he saw a reflection of the lights in the windows, etc.

A year ago he was lacking in imaginative play, preferred to line things such as cars up in rows as opposed to pushing them about. He still lines things up occaisionally, but tons more imaginative play. He used to freak out if you moved them. I remember lines of toys across rooms. He had a thing about stacking sofa cushions too, he wouldn't leave them alone, had to stack them. My hubby being a tidy nut, this caused some problems, lol.

We always had trouble getting him to eat, still do.

He also had a noise sensitivity, screamed when I vacuumed, still does at times, covers his ears and screams. Last summer again, I noticed that he'd cover his ears when we went into the town centre, just for the normal traffic noises. Once his uncle took him to the park, and he covered his ears at the sound of a train that was a half mile away.

These were things I had just found odd, until I had read a forum at ivillage.com for parents of Autistic children and found they could be more than just odd.

He wasn't much for eye contact, most of the time he seems to ignore you still, I'm forever repeating myself. Speaking of, he repeats words over and over until you tell him to stop, that's another thing. When he wasn't talking, he could hum about 40 different tunes.

One thing our speech therapist suggest we get, was one of those plastic microphones that amplifies the voice when you talk into it, it's not electronic at all, maybe you know what I mean, if not, let me know and I'll show an example somewhere. I couldn't find one so got a am/fm cassette player with sing along microphone instead, seemed to help some gave them some fun encouragement. The therapist used it with the kids.

After this past year, I personally feel that he may be in the autistic spectrum, but very mildly. He is compulsive-obsessive, and I think that sort of behavior might someday be attributed to the spectrum instead of it being something different. My husband is obsessive-compulsive, but not to the extent that it keeps him from functioning as it does with some people, those who don't leave their homes because they're worried about germs and such. I don't say anything, but as we watch certain programs, that discuss such things, he'll say to me after that he does some of this or that, and I'll just smile, say "I know", and give him a kiss. ;) He is extremely intelligent, a geek, good writer (he wants to write someday when he has the time), and I think it goes along with that. As for my son, despite his odd mannerisms, I'm waiting to see what talents/gifts he'll develop over his life, he loves music, and he's good at drawing, so we shall see. ;D

Glad to hear things are going well. I've been sending good thoughts all along. :)

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2003, 10:19:47 PM »
You know, I'm glad you brought up the "autistic spectrum"...

I hope nobody here thinks me presumptive, but I've been thinking of this a lot lately, for obvious reasons, and I have to say I think in large part the "spectrum" is a load of garbage.

What brought it to mind was, Dagmar lines up her toys sometimes as well.  We were telling our English bf's about this, and the response was, "Oh yeah, our little girl does that too!  It's really good for their hand-eye coordination."  (Plus, dd tends to line up similar objects, as does theirs, so English peds think it's great for classifying similar things as well).

And I thought, well, if our doctors are all concerned about this, and the Brit doctors think this same behavior is good, what does that mean?

Then I found out a dd's Godfather has a friend with an autistic son, and Gf's girlfriend works with autistic children.  Both of them think the idea that dd is autistic is silly.  I remembered as well a girl I used to know with an autistic son, as well as the annual fund-raiser for Judevine, a school for autistic children, that we used to do at my High School, and the stuff we learned from that.

Thing is, "classic" autism is, a child progresses perfectly normally until about 15-18 months of age then regresses, draws into themself.

Now they say autism can't be diagnosed until a child is 3 or 4.  So are they actually diagnosing autism, or have they just taken a group of behaviors, or kids who are a little "different", and slapped the "autism" label on them?

Take your son, Leah.  Could be there's a problem.  Could also be that he's a picky eater, as I was.  His hearing could be more sensitive because he has "perfect pitch" or something (you said he loves music) and off-pitch noises offend him.  He might not make much eye contact because he's busy concentrating on what he's doing.  I was terrified of shadows etc. when I was a kid, and have always been a light sleeper- I actually used to wake up fine in the night, but pretend to have nightmares because I was bored and lonely.  He might have such a vivid imagination that "imaginative play" is boring for him.  We've come to suspect that part of the reason dd lines things up is because we do-it looks neater that way...pictures lined up on the shelf, books lined up, remotes lined up on the coffee table..

I'm not trying to say that you're wrong for thinking your son may be on the spectrum.  I just sometimes wonder if it is such a good thing to immediately classify individualism or personality quirks as a disorder.  They recently did a study where they found that shy parents tend to have shy children.  They talked about this like shyness was some kind of neurological problem ("beware!  If you were shy, your child is at risk for shyness as well!"  This is pretty much the exact wording.)  It's like they tell us that kids are all different, but expect them to all act the same way, you know what I mean?

Anyway, I'm glad to hear he's doing more imaginative play, we've noticed this increasing in our dd as well, so I know what a relief that is!  And thanks for the response.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2003, 10:40:24 PM »
I hope this is okay to bring up...

The thing you mentioned, SAF, about autism seeming to occur around 15-18 months, reminded me of the supposed connection between vaccinations and autism.  I am a little nervous about taking my 14-month old for her MMR shots.  What if she develops problems afterwards?  I know a lady whose daughter developed a mysterious ailment/high fever after her MMR, and they said it had nothing to do with it.  She had to be taken to the hospital, if I remember correctly.

What do you guys think?
Someday, after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love. Then for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire.

Tielhard de Chardin

• Liked: 24
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2003, 10:46:28 PM »
That has been a huge controversy about that here. Apparently the alleged problem with MMR is the combination of the 3, so you can have them each separately, though here you have to pay for it I think, they may have changed that. My two year old has not had her MMR, husband is worried about it, thus no MMR. :-/ I worry about her not having it. Especially as it's not required and there are so many immigrants. Difference is, here in the UK, immunizations are not required by law for schooling, where back in Iowa they were. At least that's my understanding, I might be wrong.

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2003, 11:14:02 PM »

The thing you mentioned, SAF, about autism seeming to occur around 15-18 months, reminded me of the supposed connection between vaccinations and autism.  

Actually, the fact that autism usually surfaces around that age is exactly why they started wondering if there is a connection.

My personal feeling is that it's a coincidence.  I had a long talk about it with her ped and she said the same..thing is, kids who don't have the vaccine have been diagnosed autistic as well.  They've done lots of studies discounting this as well.

I think there's something to the thinking that if your child has a genetic predisposition to autism or autistic behaviors, perhaps the vaccine can exacerbate that...
Dd did have it, it is required by law, (you're exactly right Leah) and my personal feelings on vaccines, while not a subject we should really get into here, is that they are necessary.  But that's just me. :)

But, if you can get them separately, and that would ease your mind, by all means do so.  Have a talk with your doctor, talk with several.

(Just take any online "scare stories" with a grain of salt..I once saw a post in a Babycenter forum on epidurals where the poster claimed that "a friend" had an epi and the anesthesiologist "missed", shot the med into her heart and paralyzed her.  Never mind that that would be a colossal miss, the meds in an epi don't damage your heart...and she didn't explain how a lydocaine injection to the heart would paralyze someone!)

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2003, 10:50:20 AM »
I hope this is okay to bring up...

The thing you mentioned, SAF, about autism seeming to occur around 15-18 months, reminded me of the supposed connection between vaccinations and autism.  I am a little nervous about taking my 14-month old for her MMR shots.  What if she develops problems afterwards?  I know a lady whose daughter developed a mysterious ailment/high fever after her MMR, and they said it had nothing to do with it.  She had to be taken to the hospital, if I remember correctly.

What do you guys think?

My first 2 children I just vaccinated like the docs say they should and didn't think about it.  My second daughter got vaccine induced measles when she was 15 months old.  Then I began learning a bit about vaccinations and it got me kind of worried.  My youngest I waited until she was 2 before I gave her any vaccinations and then I was picky about it.  I would not allow her to have the oral polio since it's a live virus.  Instead I had her have the dead virus in an injection.  

I think vaccinations can be a bit worrisome, but I always recommend parents educate themselves and then decide.  I have no regrets in waiting with my youngest.  She handled her vaccinations much better since she was a bit older.  

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab