Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Adopting/Fostering Children as an immigrant  (Read 4465 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Adopting/Fostering Children as an immigrant
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 07:51:01 AM »

And yes, for food portions if you ask for a takeout container in the UK you're met with odd looks.

I was met with such attitude the first time I asked for one, I take my own now!   8)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 08:09:25 AM »
if you ask for a takeout container in the UK you're met with odd looks.

In the 30+ years I've been in the UK, I have never been given an 'odd look' in a restaurant for asking to take leftovers home with me.  I've never received anything other than a 'no problem'-type response.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 08:36:38 AM »
I've also not had a problem taking leftovers home.  Some use proper containers, some foil, but I've always been okay to bring it home.   :)

What's hard is for work, we go to an American BBQ place pretty frequently and people love to order the Challenge which is a £40 platter of various meats.  They NEVER eat it all and I can't take it home for my husband as all the sauces contain gluten.  Oh well!  Boy, would he be a happy bunny if I did.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 01:00:43 PM »
I just explain you are not meant to eat the entire meal in one sitting.   ;)  Nor is an appetizer meant to be for a single person.

I honestly don't understand the crazy amount of times I've had to explain this!! Why is it so difficult! AND THEY ACTUALLY COMPLAIN ABOUT GETTING MORE FOOD FOR LESS MONEY! You're basically getting a free lunch for tomorrow, stop whinging!!

(Sorry, bit off topic lol)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 957
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 05:14:14 PM »
I honestly don't understand the crazy amount of times I've had to explain this!! Why is it so difficult! AND THEY ACTUALLY COMPLAIN ABOUT GETTING MORE FOOD FOR LESS MONEY! You're basically getting a free lunch for tomorrow, stop whinging!!

(Sorry, bit off topic lol)

lol, I don't mind veering off topic to something much more lighthearted!

But on topic - if anyone else has experiences with adoption and fostering I'd love to hear them!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2017, 09:48:06 PM »
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to mention for the OP and also KFDancer's friend that US citizens living in the UK can also adopt as US citizens through the US system.  Obviously wouldn't be possible to foster!  I know it's definitely possible for international adoption eg from China etc but I'm 99.9% sure US expats can also adopt "domestically" from the US, either privately or through Social Services.

KFDancer - if your friend hasn't had success reducing her BMI to whatever her UK Social Worker had deemed "acceptable" she might want to explore this route.  Some "sending" countries do have rules regarding BMI but they sometimes make wavers and in the case of China for example I think they require a BMI of under 40 which from your description sounds like it's a lot higher than your friend is being told for UK adoption.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 11:32:12 AM »
I still can't believe the whole BMI thing makes a difference...
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab