Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Urgent!! Need kid-friendly London suggestions!!  (Read 1032 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Urgent!! Need kid-friendly London suggestions!!
« on: November 24, 2004, 11:37:26 AM »
I'm going to London tomorrow just for the day to meet up with a very old friend of mine... and her husband and 3 kids who are all under the age of 4!! The youngest 2 are twins and will be in a stroller but can walk. All 3 boys love buses and trains and stuff so I think we'll go to the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden. Has anyone been there? Is it worth it? If not, any other suggestions?

Also, any recommendations for a place for lunch that is kid-friendly and not too far from the museum? My friends are Japanese but live in the US. They are fairly sophisticated about food.

I rarely see my friends so really want to avoid running around in a big kerfuffle if at all possible!

Oh, and if you see a big tall American woman wandering around London looking lost, followed by 3 little  Japanese boys pretending to be airplanes (and their bemused parents in tow)?... that would be me!  ;D
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 1
Re: Urgent!! Need kid-friendly London suggestions!!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 11:42:12 AM »
oh god, is there a giraffe cafe around there?  they are awesome for little kids!!!!!  very kid friendly.

what about the theater museum?  they get to dress up there!!!

• Liked: 1

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 11:44:04 AM »
Covent Garden sounds good.  Just stay there!  Plenty to see, what with street performers and all.  Oh - and you can stop by CyberCandy and The Canadian Shop and stock up on US goodies if you so desire!  ;)

There is a plethora of dining options in Covent Garden and surrounding, as well.  I wish I could remember the name of the "gastropub" we went to with friends (including a toddler)...it's just down the street from the Pizza Hut...oh well.  Henry's or Harry's or something like that.

I know it's a horribly touristy area, but I do rather like Covent Garden.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 11:46:16 AM »
For eating you could try the Rainforest Cafe in Shaftsberry Ave (Piccadilly end) - everyone I know with kids loves it.

Haven't been to the Transport museum but the Theatre Museum in Covent Garden is good for kids, they have various demonstrations going on and the kids get dressed up in the costumes and stuff. (and it's free to get in!)

http://www.theatremuseum.org.uk/whatson/activities.php

http://www.therainforestcafe.co.uk/

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 11:50:07 AM »
Science museum ... more fun than it sounds. London Eye? .... underground and train trips.  London Dungeon or are they toooooo young??
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 11:55:56 AM »
You guys are awesome! Thank you so much!

Peedal, I like the way you think... shopping for me will make it much more worth while. Especially as there's a chance they will be leaving me right after lunch anyway. The parents have tickets for Les Mis at either 5:30 or 7:30. If it's 5:30 I'll be on my own for several hours before I can get the train back...

Anyone wanna meet for a pint?! I'll know later today what time their show is...

Graham, I think they might be at the science museum today and I think the twins are probably too young for the dungeon - and I am too full of vertigo for the London eye!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 11:57:20 AM »
Covent Garden sounds good.  Just stay there!  Plenty to see, what with street performers and all.  Oh - and you can stop by CyberCandy and The Canadian Shop and stock up on US goodies if you so desire!  ;)

There is a plethora of dining options in Covent Garden and surrounding, as well.  I wish I could remember the name of the "gastropub" we went to with friends (including a toddler)...it's just down the street from the Pizza Hut...oh well.  Henry's or Harry's or something like that.

I know it's a horribly touristy area, but I do rather like Covent Garden.

Was the gastropub O'Henry's? Just behind the piazza?

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 12:00:51 PM »
Might have been O'Henry's.  It's got a basement level...the food was really good and they were great about the toddler.  We were sat downstairs, but I'd like to go again with just "adults" and sit in the bar area!

Wow - Balmerhon, my boss is going to be in London all day tomorrow - very tempting to ask for the day off myself and meet you up there!  Need some more Rice-a-Roni from the Canadian Shop!  ;)  (which also has goodies from South Africa & Australia)

- Benjamin Franklin

- Benjamin Franklin

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 02:46:15 PM »

Wow - Balmerhon, my boss is going to be in London all day tomorrow - very tempting to ask for the day off myself and meet you up there! Need some more Rice-a-Roni from the Canadian Shop! ;) (which also has goodies from South Africa & Australia)

Oooh, PM me your ph number again and I'll let you know if I'm being deserted by them or not later tonight.

If plans go as I hope, I'll arrive at Paddington around 11:30 and go straight to one of the museums with them. Then we'll have lunch at which point I'll either be on my own, or they will hang for a little longer. Either way, it would be way cool to meet up.

Ric-a-Roni, the San Francisco Treat!

;D

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 02:57:00 PM »

Was the gastropub O'Henry's? Just behind the piazza?

I looked it up - it's Henry's, just behind the piazza.  And it seems (according to one review) that the Banoffee Martini is to die for... ;D

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 04:36:44 PM »
The Science Museum has been my kids favourite place in London ever since they were little.  The hands on area is just too cool!

Rosie
All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers. ~François Fénelon

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 05:10:50 PM »
The London Transport Museum is pretty good.  My kids have been and liked it.  There's a great shop there too-loads of cool souvineres and gifts.

There's usually a Punch and Judy show around Covent Garden to see too.

The Rainforest Cafe is OK, the food isn't that great, but kids love the whole set-up. 

Wagamama's is pretty kid friendly too. 

The Grottos at the Department stores are pretty spectacular (Selfridges and Harrods) although I'm not sure when they begin. 

• My Myspace
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 07:16:57 PM »
How did it go?  We have 3 year old twins, but haven't taken them into London yet.   They'd probably be bored to death...which is why we usually leave them with Nannie when we go.   :)

Florida > Kentucky > SE Kent

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab