Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Very worried! BRP card -forgot to change address -spousal Visa renewal coming up  (Read 4629 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi everyone,

My wife's spousal visa renewal is coming up in September 2017 - we've only just realised that you need to inform the UKVI of changes of address. None of her Biometric Residence Documents that were given to her indicate this, she has a document that has a vague reference to informing them of any changes that may affect your residency status - eg a breakdown of your marriage - but not your address changes.

We have moved twice, for more than six months and we have failed to notify them of this - I can't sleep now, I keep thinking that this is going to cause her next visa renewal to be refused when we give them our supporting documents that show these addresses.

Help? I know, I will see a solicitor etc - but I really can't sleep - I've been losing sleep over housing act requirements etc for our new room for the past few days and now I'm going to end up going to bed again at 5am tonight.

:(

Just change your address using the appropriate method and stop worrying! It doesn't matter.

Really? Someones post over on the expat forum made me worried to hell - renewal in doubt - see a solicitor. etc.

Updating our address isn't straight forward either, there is either the MCC form which doesn't give us an option to tick a spousal visa, just tier 1, 2, 4 etc - and an online one which is meant for people with stamped passports.

We have a BRP guide from Solihull immigration office and it mentions nothing about this, I even asked them at the desk when we did our one day visa whether I had to inform them of a change of address and they just asked me if I was a criminal?!

British Bureaucrats are the worst...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 01:55:19 AM by thomas88 »

• Liked: 6110
Please don't worry.
We see people here all the time who didn't know to change their address or who forgot to do it at the time. I've never seen a problem resulting from it.  :)

That is the correct form. You can just write in spouse visa as the option is not there.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:31:48 AM by larrabee »

• Liked: 107
My wife and I recently went through FLR(M) (spousal visa renewal). Between our initial visa application and our appointment we had changed our address two times. Nobody battered an eyelid and it wasn't even questioned. They have more serious things to worry about rather than whether you've moved or not.

Do not worry. It's not an issue.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 08:09:28 AM by Ben1989 »
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 4985
My wife and I recently went through FLR(M) (spousal visa renewal). Between our initial visa application and our appointment we had changed our address two times. Nobody battered an eyelid and it wasn't even questioned. They have more serious things to worry about rather than whether you've moved or not.

Do not worry. It's not an issue.

Ben, to be fair, your wife's visa would have been a sticker in her passport, not a BRP.  The rules are different.

But to the OP, no need to worry.  Send the form in.  You get ZERO notification that they've received it anyway.  It'll just help you sleep at night.

And yes, you will see by the form how bothered they are.  There isn't even a spouse/partner option!   :P

• Liked: 342

And yes, you will see by the form how bothered they are.  There isn't even a spouse/partner option!   :P

They want the address so that if the sponsor no longer wants to sponsor them, UKVI have an up to date address to send their 60 day notice as their visa has been revoked. It doesn't matter if it is a spouse visa or points based visa, if they lose their sponsor they get 60 days and that letter gives them their end date.

If they have moved and not told UVKI and the letter is sent to an old address, that is the problem of the visa holder. They would have missed their chance to try to regularise their stay or leave during that 60 days and would have become an overstayer.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:27:15 AM by Sirius »

They want the address so that if the sponsor no longer wants to sponsor them, UKVI have an up to date address to send their 60 day notice as their visa has been revoked. It doesn't matter if it is a spouse visa or points based visa, if they lose their sponsor they get 60 days and that letter gives them their end date.

If they have moved and not told UVKI and the letter is sent to an old address, that is the problem of the visa holder. They would have missed their chance to try to regularise their stay or leave during that 60 days and would have become an overstayer.

True about the letters for curtailment of leave.

But would it be that hard to update the form so that ALL categories are included?  Even just an "other" box?

Thanks everyone, this has made me feel a bit better - I will still contact a solicitor though.

Sirius, do you think this is an issue or only an issue if she overstayed?

Thanks everyone, this has made me feel a bit better - I will still contact a solicitor though.

What is it you think you will gain from a solicitor?  Seriously, it's nothing to worry about!  We would tell you if it was.

• Liked: 342

I'm not an immigration solicitor :) If you want my opinion, this is one of the only two forums I have found that actually keep up to date with regualtions/realise the laws are changing and give out the correct information. I would believe what they tell you on this site. IMHO this is one of the good immigration forums and perhaps the best for partner/spouse visas?
Even some solicitors give out incorrect advice.

Don't worry, as people on here have told you, it's no big deal. Lots forget to give their change of address. I haven't seem anyone post on forums that they got refused a visa as they didn't update their address.

e.g.
Some visa holders have to report their changes to the police because of the country they are citizens of and this is a requirement on their visa. Many of those have reported they forgot to do that and then got a warning of late reporting stamped from the police. I haven't seen any of those say they have been refused a visa either.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:51:10 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab