Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Somehow already have NHS #?  (Read 3359 times)

• Liked: 10
Somehow already have NHS #?
« on: January 13, 2017, 05:07:27 PM »
I arrived in the UK a little over a month ago on my spouse visa. (woohoo!) I finally got around to going to the GP to try and register there. At first they said I had to be in the UK for 3 months+ before I could register for permanent care, so I filled out a form for temporary care. I handed her that form and then asked for an appointment and when she went to look me up she said I already had an NHS number. Everyone was trying to figure out how, asking me if I had been to the dentist or registered at another GP, but I haven't. How is this possible? I read everywhere that I would get my NHS number AFTER registering with the GP.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Somehow already have NHS #?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 05:23:22 PM »
Well, you don't have to wait 3 months, so no idea what they are talking about there...

Have you had any treatment in the UK before?  A visit o a doctor, dentist, urgent care, pharmacy?  If not, I wonder if they've picked someone else out of the system (my name is pretty vanilla.  I imagine there's someone with the same name and date of birth out there).

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 03:52:58 AM »
Well, you don't have to wait 3 months, so no idea what they are talking about there...

Have you had any treatment in the UK before?  A visit o a doctor, dentist, urgent care, pharmacy?  If not, I wonder if they've picked someone else out of the system (my name is pretty vanilla.  I imagine there's someone with the same name and date of birth out there).

Idk either. My name is pretty generic but I doubt there are many 18 year old who just arrived on a spouse visa with my name as they said the number was in the new format.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 03:53:35 AM »
And no, I've never had any care in the UK before. None whatsoever.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 08:08:26 AM »
Hmm, well, the new format of NHS number was introduced in 1995, becoming mandatory in 1997, so it is possible for an 18-year-old UK-born citizen to have one.

Did they double-check your date of birth and personal details in the system to make sure it was definitely your number and not a mix-up with someone else?

If you've never registered with a GP before or gone to a GP as a visitor in the UK, then there should be no way you could already have an NHS number in the system, as they are only assigned when you register with a GP.

Also, they should have registered you as a full patient because with a spousal visa, and having paid the IHS surcharge, you are entitled to full NHS care from the day you arrive in the UK.

You should only have to register as a temporary patient if you will only be staying in the area for between 24 hours and 3 months... but you have moved permanently, so you are not classed as a visitor.

This is the official guidance from the NHS on registering new patients:

GENERAL GUIDANCE ON ELIGIBILITY TO FREE NHS PRIMARY CARE

ELIGIBILITY
1. Who is eligible?

Free NHS care is generally for those ‘Living Lawfully’ within the UK and considered to be ‘Ordinarily Resident’ in this country i.e. here for ‘Permanent’ settlement or ‘Habitually’ residing here. It is not related to one’s Nationality, how much Tax or National Insurance he/she  has  paid  in  the  past. Most  important: One  must  establish  what  commitment  the  new  arrival  has  made  that confirms his/her permanent settlement in the UK. Another point to confirm is what the individual is intending to do here for the next 6 to  12  months  i.e.  employment,  studies,  renting  accommodation  etc.  The answer  would  confirm  as  to  whether  he/she  can  be considered as ‘Ordinarily Resident’ in the UK.
Note: The onus is always on the patient to prove their eligibility to free NHS care.

2. How do you decide?
- Living Lawfully
–To confirm ‘Legal Status’ – Request Passport, check visa and its validity dates, European Nationals may only produce an ID card. This is acceptable and will confirm whether one is legally in the UK. Recent arrivals from EEU only travel with an ID  card and no passport. Ensure ID photo matches the person in front of you. (EEU Rules: see last page)

- Ordinarily Resident - Confirming or determining a persons ‘settled status’ is key.
For the purposes of the NHS if a new arrival provides documentary evidence that confirms he/she has been or intends to be in the UK for a particular purpose for 6 months or more i.e. Work Permit for a fixed period and tied to a particular post, being a full time student, Spouse joining the other half for settlement as a dependant, Asylum Seekers, Dependents of an NHS Patient etc. In such cases you must provide full registration as they are eligible to free NHS care from the moment they arrive in the UK.
Please note that a newly arrived individual does not have to first live here for 6 months before NHS care can be provided– practices are in error when refusing to register using this reasoning.
(http://www.rotherham.nhs.uk/foi/Guidence%20for%20GPs/Simple%20Guidance%20for%20Free%20NHS%20Treatment.pdf)

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 02:31:35 PM »
Hmm, well, the new format of NHS number was introduced in 1995, becoming mandatory in 1997, so it is possible for an 18-year-old UK-born citizen to have one.

Did they double-check your date of birth and personal details in the system to make sure it was definitely your number and not a mix-up with someone else?

If you've never registered with a GP before or gone to a GP as a visitor in the UK, then there should be no way you could already have an NHS number in the system, as they are only assigned when you register with a GP.

Also, they should have registered you as a full patient because with a spousal visa, and having paid the IHS surcharge, you are entitled to full NHS care from the day you arrive in the UK.

You should only have to register as a temporary patient if you will only be staying in the area for between 24 hours and 3 months... but you have moved permanently, so you are not classed as a visitor.

This is the official guidance from the NHS on registering new patients:
(http://www.rotherham.nhs.uk/foi/Guidence%20for%20GPs/Simple%20Guidance%20for%20Free%20NHS%20Treatment.pdf)

They did double check my date of birth. When I handed her the temporary care card it had my first and last name on it as well a date of birth. She then asked if I happened to have a middle name, and I said yes. She said I already had a number. I tried explaining to her that I was a permanent resident but she was saying it was just the rules and that's how it was so I didn't say much because I wasn't sure.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 02:32:05 PM »
Is there a number that I can call to talk to someone about this and figure out what the hell is going on??

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 02:46:12 PM »
What is a temporary care card?

I would just ask the receptionist to verify that the person they selected didn't have an address or medical history listed.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 03:02:08 PM »
I tried explaining to her that I was a permanent resident but she was saying it was just the rules and that's how it was so I didn't say much because I wasn't sure.

You don't need to be a permanent resident to have an NHS number. If you ever visited a GP (or perhaps even a hospital) while on vacation in the UK before you got your visa, you may already have an NHS number.

If there is absolutely no way you could have one, because you have never been anywhere near a UK GP or hospital in your life, then it's worth contacting the NHS to find out what has happened.

You could try here:
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/thenhs/records/nhs-number/Pages/what-is-the-nhs-number.aspx
Which has this email address: nhsnumber@nhs.net for questions about NHS numbers

You could also look for contact info here:
https://www.england.nhs.uk/about/regional-area-teams/

Or here:
https://digital.nhs.uk/article/301/NHS-Number

• Liked: 134
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 03:05:05 PM »
Is there any chance now that paying the NHS surcharge leads to the creation of an NHS number for applicants who do not already have a number so that they can register with a GP right away?  would be awfully coordinated for immigration and healthcare...
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 05:09:08 PM »
Is there any chance now that paying the NHS surcharge leads to the creation of an NHS number for applicants who do not already have a number so that they can register with a GP right away?  would be awfully coordinated for immigration and healthcare...

I wouldn't have thought so - since NHS numbers are not allocated until you register with a GP. It's automatically assigned to you when you register for the first time.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »
What is a temporary care card?

I would just ask the receptionist to verify that the person they selected didn't have an address or medical history listed.

It was a care card I had to fill out until I could register as a permanent patient (After 3 months of being here). I was told I could still get care and all that but I just couldn't be a permanent patient. IDK.

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 08:04:22 PM »
I'll definitely go back and ask if there's any medical history or address attached to the NHS number they thought was mine. TY guys!

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 11:49:22 AM »
Hiya just to give you guys an update it IS my NHS number. I went back and asked if there was any address attached to it or any health history. I was told there wasn't and they gave me a number to call the health authority. The woman I spoke to on the phone said it's actually quite common for people from abroad to have an NHS number on entry now. She said that only getting it when registering is how it used to be, but it isn't like that anymore.

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 11:51:03 AM »
Wow!  It's like the NHS is stepping into technology.  Thanks for letting us know!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab