Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Broadband and TV  (Read 2156 times)

• Liked: 0
Broadband and TV
« on: January 16, 2017, 09:53:59 PM »
Hi folks. What do you guys do for broadband and TV?

We don't watch a whole lot of TV in the US. We probably won't here either, although if we really want to fit in maybe we should. :) But we can watch some things over broadband, without getting an actual TV service, right? (I know we'll have to get a TV license.)

A couple of people have said that Virgin Media is the best. But Which? magazine seems to be the Consumer Reports of the UK, and they rated two small broadband providers (Zen Internet and Utility Warehouse) way better than anyone else.

Any suggestions?

Also, question about Freeview. That just means getting TV over the airwaves, right? Is that good enough for most people? What if you want a bit of footy from time to time? Seems like all the best games are on Sky Sports, I think?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:01:28 PM by axlrosen »

• Liked: 4985
Re: Broadband and TV
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 10:09:28 PM »
I would start with a free view TV, then just do Amazon Prime or Netflix depending on what you find may be missing.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 06:14:08 AM »
A couple of people have said that Virgin Media is the best. But Which? magazine seems to be the Consumer Reports of the UK, and they rated two small broadband providers (Zen Internet and Utility Warehouse) way better than anyone else.

In my experience, all of the broadband providers in the UK are in a race to see which one can provide the worst service. We've been with PlusNet for a few years, and they at least have been responsive on the phone when there have been problems. We had Sky for TV and broadband prior to that, and they were terrible.

Also, question about Freeview. That just means getting TV over the airwaves, right? Is that good enough for most people? What if you want a bit of footy from time to time? Seems like all the best games are on Sky Sports, I think?

We switched to Freeview several years ago, and have been totally happy with it. It has all the main channels most people watch, plus a smattering of the others that seem to fill up all the other TV providers' lineups. And yes, it comes over the air. As long as you have an antenna, and a TV with it built in, or a Freeview box to attach to the TV, you're good.

Watching football/soccer here is almost impossible without Sky Sports, which you can add to Sky TV, Virgin, or BT TV. I think you can add Sky Sports to Freeview, but a quick Google search makes it look complicated, so I wouldn't guarantee it.

I would start with a free view TV, then just do Amazon Prime or Netflix depending on what you find may be missing.

I agree. This is good advice.

• Liked: 35
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »
But we can watch some things over broadband, without getting an actual TV service, right? (I know we'll have to get a TV license.)

See here: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

At £12.12 a month I think it is a bargain for getting the BBC.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:00:04 AM »
We built our house in 2015 and never bothered to get an aerial. So we don't even have freeview.   We use BBC iplayer,  netflix, amazon prime, uktv, 4OD, etc etc.  We were watching tv (itv, I think it was) at the inlaws on New Years Day and man, the adverts were driving us crazy. LOL. 

Not sure I can help on the broadband front because I really only have one option where I live and that is BT.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab