Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hey Physics Nerds- How about Interstellar?  (Read 1921 times)

• Liked: 1891
Hey Physics Nerds- How about Interstellar?
« on: January 23, 2017, 04:55:41 PM »

Saw it on a plane some years ago, always wanted to watch it "proper ". I really liked it. 

What do you guys think?   Can you actually communicate across time with gravity or is that movie physics?

• Liked: 533
Re: Hey Physics Nerds- How about Interstellar?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 05:10:53 PM »
Saw it on a plane some years ago, always wanted to watch it "proper ". I really liked it. 

What do you guys think?   Can you actually communicate across time with gravity or is that movie physics?

I have watched it several times....

The physics, from my Brian Cox-watching perspective, is woolly. First of all the fall into the black hole would have killed him.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:17:53 PM »
What, the gravity would have squished him like a grape?  Didn't think of that..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 08:36:58 AM »
Well I've read where the future beings have changed the black hole into a worm hole, designed specifically to allow for human entry. So given that work around....perhaps....

Have you seen Edge of Tomorrow with T. Cruise and E. Blunt? 
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 09:35:33 AM »
No, should I?  I was planning to watch Europa Report next.  It got good reviews and is supposed to be notable for scientific accuracy. 

SPOILER ALERT:
One thing:  if the future humans built the wormhole , but present humans had to have the wormhole there to survive, how did it get there?   

• Liked: 170
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 11:42:24 AM »
I tend to get cross about films/ tv adverts (don't even get me started on the John Lewis man on the moon advert!) where there are huge misconceptions passed as fact. Haven't seen Interstellar. Should I or will I just get angry??
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 12:04:44 PM »
Should I or will I just get angry??

Well there are a few things that might trouble you. But remember it's science fiction!

First of all, and this is a common problem....they take a small shuttle down to the surface of a sizeable planet and later leave in it and zip back out to the orbiting main ship. There is no "secret energy source" for thrust....no dilithium crystals. Escape velocity?

Secondly...the whole point of the future beings contacting today-Earth is to give them knowledge on how they can use "reverse gravity" to lift a huge city-sized ship into space. Aside from some stuff I've read about some sort of "opposite force" being responsible for inflation....are they suggesting reverse warping space-time?

But again, the beings are from way out in the future....so maybe....

But it is a great movie....aside from extreme....and I mean extreme fluctuations in the sound mix. It goes from whispered dialogue to house shaking explosions faster than you can man the volume control button. But that is an ongoing gripe of mine....I have a kind neighbour....I don't want to blow him out of his chair.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 12:07:14 PM »
No, should I? 

How it flew so far under the radar I'll never know. I watched it back-to-back maybe six times.

• Liked: 170
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »
Well there are a few things that might trouble you. But remember it's science fiction!

First of all, and this is a common problem....they take a small shuttle down to the surface of a sizeable planet and later leave in it and zip back out to the orbiting main ship. There is no "secret energy source" for thrust....no dilithium crystals. Escape velocity?

Secondly...the whole point of the future beings contacting today-Earth is to give them knowledge on how they can use "reverse gravity" to lift a huge city-sized ship into space. Aside from some stuff I've read about some sort of "opposite force" being responsible for inflation....are they suggesting reverse warping space-time?

But again, the beings are from way out in the future....so maybe....

But it is a great movie....aside from extreme....and I mean extreme fluctuations in the sound mix. It goes from whispered dialogue to house shaking explosions faster than you can man the volume control button. But that is an ongoing gripe of mine....I have a kind neighbour....I don't want to blow him out of his chair.

Sounds like I'm giving it a miss!! But I spose movies of this type written to be scientifically accurate would be a bit 'tamer' and less 'fantastic' than this type of rubbish...
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »
I think you will love it.  The movie is based on physics and tries to present the science about the nature of time realistically. 

One very interesting bit is that they used the movie budget to model a black hole with more power and accuracy than ever before and found some new things:

https://www.wired.com/2014/10/astrophysics-interstellar-black-hole/

At the very least, you have to watch it because I really want to know what you think about it now.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 06:23:18 PM »
Well I've read where the future beings have changed the black hole into a worm hole, designed specifically to allow for human entry. So given that work around....perhaps....

Have you seen Edge of Tomorrow with T. Cruise and E. Blunt?
Oooh. I liked that movie. It was an interesting premise and I like Emily Blunt. Cruise... eh. But I really enjoyed it. 😁
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab