Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: First time doing foreign taxes  (Read 1860 times)

• Liked: 8
Re: First time doing foreign taxes
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 09:12:57 AM »
The company is called expattaxonline and they are US/UK based so extremely helpful with preparing US taxes for expats. They have an office in Austin TX where I'm from so I had my sister check on them and she said they were extremely helpful with providing details so I could do my taxes.

I had 3 years to file and am now receiving my refunds. I did have to pay $249 per year of filing and that was straight filing as Texas doesn't have a state income tax so not sure how much they charge for additional services such as state taxes added on.

If you are worried, of course, contact the IRS online. They no longer have an office in London but they have info on the irs.gov website. My tax forms were sent to me so that I could sign before the accountants sent them off and they are all about 58 pages long.
Apr 2010 First visit to the UK
Oct 2010 We were married
May 05 2014 Received 1st FLR (M)
May 27, 2014 Landed in the UK
July 25,2014 Started Working
January 2nd FLR M
November 28, 2019 ILR

• Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 09:33:42 AM »
The company is called expattaxonline and they are US/UK based so extremely helpful with preparing US taxes for expats. They have an office in Austin TX where I'm from so I had my sister check on them and she said they were extremely helpful with providing details so I could do my taxes.

I had 3 years to file and am now receiving my refunds. I did have to pay $249 per year of filing and that was straight filing as Texas doesn't have a state income tax so not sure how much they charge for additional services such as state taxes added on.

If you are worried, of course, contact the IRS online. They no longer have an office in London but they have info on the irs.gov website. My tax forms were sent to me so that I could sign before the accountants sent them off and they are all about 58 pages long.
Thank you so very much you have no idea how helpful this is.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 09:38:32 AM »
See I always filed myself, my dad taught me how. But now all of a sudden I feel nervous.

I am  also worried as what I thought was a minor victory ( being added to my husbands 1-2-3 account..which means I've built up credit here) may be a downfall as we use for house savings and it's nearing the ten thousand pound mark. It wasn't until recently I realised there's some sort of limit on your bank accounts?

Also, I think I messed up with state taxes. I never declared I left and last November I renewed my American license using my parents address, so they probably think I live there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm a bit lost on the savings bit. I don't think I have heard that before there's a mark on savings?? What does it effect and what's the limit ? I also was unaware we needed to let anyone know we were moving I also renewed my licenses before I elft bc it was time and I had changed my name to my married one so everything matched.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 09:27:30 AM »
HM I've sent you a message, not sure if you've seen it?
Apr 2010 First visit to the UK
Oct 2010 We were married
May 05 2014 Received 1st FLR (M)
May 27, 2014 Landed in the UK
July 25,2014 Started Working
January 2nd FLR M
November 28, 2019 ILR

• Liked: 537
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 09:44:23 AM »
I'm a bit lost on the savings bit. I don't think I have heard that before there's a mark on savings?? What does it effect and what's the limit ? I also was unaware we needed to let anyone know we were moving I also renewed my licenses before I elft bc it was time and I had changed my name to my married one so everything matched.

She's talking about FBAR's. If an account has $10k at any point it has to be declared on your FBAR. It's why I am not on our house savings account.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 10:14:27 AM »
She's talking about FBAR's. If an account has $10k at any point it has to be declared on your FBAR. It's why I am not on our house savings account.
Does this mean you are required to pay taxes on anything over the 10k??

• Liked: 716
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2017, 10:20:12 AM »
Does this mean you are required to pay taxes on anything over the 10k??

No. Only income from savings gets taxed, not the savings themselves.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 102
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 10:45:07 AM »
An FBAR is not a tax return.

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2017, 10:48:38 AM »
An FBAR is not a tax return.
Yes I have gathered that

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2017, 10:48:53 AM »
No. Only income from savings gets taxed, not the savings themselves.
Okay great thank you

• Liked: 102
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2017, 10:54:21 AM »
HMcartlidge - the income tax return is not due to be filed until 15 June 2017, at the earliest. As this is your first year outside the United States, you may need considerably longer if you need to qualify to elect to claim the foreign earned income exclusion.

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2017, 10:55:25 AM »
HMcartlidge - the income tax return is not due to be filed until 15 June 2017, at the earliest. As this is your first year outside the United States, you may need considerably longer if you need to qualify to elect to claim the foreign earned income exclusion.
Well that's a relief.  That's great news thank you!

• Liked: 154
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2017, 12:05:03 PM »

Yeah I really regret this. But oh well ...

• Liked: 537
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2017, 12:28:33 PM »
Yeah I really regret this. But oh well ...

Hindsight is 20/20, right?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2017, 02:10:03 PM »
"An" is a small word, but in this context it could have a large financial consequence (penalties).

The FBAR is required if the aggregate of the max. value of all foreign accounts during the year totals $10,000. A current account of $4,000, a savings account of $4,000, and a joint account of $4,000 means an FBAR must be filed.

Sponsored Links