Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Five Guys  (Read 5612 times)

• Liked: 1891
Re: Five Guys
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2017, 10:19:08 AM »
That was interesting.  Remind me never to go to a Meat Liquor- "violently loud music" and fake graffiti. 

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2017, 10:20:18 AM »
That was interesting.  Remind me never to go to a Meat Liquor- "violently loud music" and fake graffiti.

Curious to know what "fake graffiti" as opposed to real graffiti? lol
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2017, 10:38:01 AM »
You pay someone to make fake graffiti and they aren't allowed to criticise hipster restaurants.

Five Guys
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2017, 01:21:11 PM »
Breaking News: Byron is better than 5 guys and GBK!

Last Friday, Byron's was giving away free samples.  I was really surprised at how good the burger was, so I popped in for lunch today.  Really nice.

I've tried all 3 places now and proclaim Byron's the best. 

Shame about the fries. 

They gave me a giant pickle on the side. #Lyonaria #HMS_ Seahorse #peoplewholikepicklestoomuch
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:25:56 PM by jimbocz »

« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »
Meehhhh I think it depends on what type of burger you want. I'm not a fan of GBK at all but that might be because I tried it when it first opened near me and I just thought it was SO expensive (like, literally had to pay for a plop of BBQ/Ketchup on the side) for a normal burger - I wasn't adventurous enough to try their other meat.

Byron does a good normal burger, but 5 guys is definitely my favourite as I usually want a burger when I want something that is the exact opposite of healthy LOL. I feel like 5 guys is greasier but I love every minute of the grease fest. Byron does do killer courgette fries though! My friend LOVES Byron so always insists on our group going there for meals before bowling but the service is always crap! Like you have to beg them to give you attention sometimes (but that's not bizarre for most places over here from my experience).

Do you have a 7 Bone near you? I would say that's equally as good as Byron so you might want to check it out if you have one near you :)
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2017, 03:58:37 PM »
7 Bone?  I don't think so, but I'll keep it in mind. 

I think GBK is now the cheapest burger place by far, but only for the lunch special.  You can get out of there for £8 for a burger and fries.  Byron today was £14 for a big fancy burger and crap fries. 

« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2017, 09:05:30 AM »
7 Bone?  I don't think so, but I'll keep it in mind. 

I think GBK is now the cheapest burger place by far, but only for the lunch special.  You can get out of there for £8 for a burger and fries.  Byron today was £14 for a big fancy burger and crap fries.

Are you comparing lunch to lunch? Like I said, I'm sure it's changed since I first went but it left a bad taste in my mouth so I've not exactly been dying to go back and try it again by my own choice when I have other options :)

Here's the website for 7 Bone in case you're curious! http://www.7bone.co.uk/
My, how time flies....

« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2017, 11:48:22 AM »
That food looks good, but the website makes it look like eating in my garage:

Sorry for the screenshot from my phone.

Re: prices:  It wasn't a direct comparison since I didn't order the basic stuff at Byron's that you get with the lunch special at GBK.  Still, £8 for lunch is not bad.  £14 is ridiculous and I have to be careful not to leave that reciept in my pocket.  If the wife finds that I am in trouble. 

GBK is one of those places you only go there when you get a discount, like Yo Sushi.  Going there any day but Monday is nuts.

« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
That food looks good, but the website makes it look like eating in my garage:

Sorry for the screenshot from my phone.

Re: prices:  It wasn't a direct comparison since I didn't order the basic stuff at Byron's that you get with the lunch special at GBK.  Still, £8 for lunch is not bad.  £14 is ridiculous and I have to be careful not to leave that reciept in my pocket.  If the wife finds that I am in trouble. 

GBK is one of those places you only go there when you get a discount, like Yo Sushi.  Going there any day but Monday is nuts.

LMAO yes it's a very "rustic/industrial" type look to it. The friend we went with who LOVES Byron is an electrician and he was flipping his sh*t like "WHY ARE THEY PUTTING THOSE PIPES THERE?! THOSE CABLES FOR THE LIGHTS ARE A HAZARD!" etc. etc. it was hilarious. He doesn't like the "unfinished industrial" look so it just gave him even more reason to say he prefers Byron even though our experiences were nearly identical.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 60
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2017, 03:27:54 PM »
I also didn't care for GBK. I thought it was mediocre.

For those of you in Glasgow or Edinburgh, there's a place called Bread Meats Bread that I thought was just fantastic. A little pricey though - roughly £8 per burger, plus drinks, fries, etc.
http://breadmeatsbread.com/

« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2017, 03:51:46 PM »
I also didn't care for GBK. I thought it was mediocre.

For those of you in Glasgow or Edinburgh, there's a place called Bread Meats Bread that I thought was just fantastic. A little pricey though - roughly £8 per burger, plus drinks, fries, etc.
http://breadmeatsbread.com/

That name is phenomenal.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 585
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2017, 07:50:04 AM »
GBK was fine when it was the ONLY proper burger place in Glasgow, but now there is Byron, 5 Guys, Bread Meats Bread... probably more that I'm forgetting.  Bread Meats Bread is the only one I've not yet tried, and most people do say it's the best, so I really need to go!

Brenzie/anyone in Glasgow... have you been to this place yet?  It looks amaze, but we've only just heard of it and haven't been able to go yet...

http://www.roastersdeli.com/

• Liked: 674
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »
Hi Albatross.  Have not seen that place yet, but it looks interesting. Any clue where it is? It says "west end" but no address given? (Not enough coffee for me yet, maybe, this morning.)

There's a BreadMeatsBread on Great Western just east of Byres Road, and the menu looks ok (if a bit pricey for a burger) but the place was full of what the daughter calls "hipsters" so.... eh? If they ever put a special on I'll try them.

Oh, on the way from City Center on the bus last week I saw on one side of the street "Punk Pizza" and on the other a place that seems to sell Tamales.  Not sure which has the most appeal at present, but going to CC next week and will have to check out the tamales ... If they just had one good tamal, I'd be thrilled. Of course, on the bus with all the neck ricochets trying to take in both sides of the street, I didn't get the name of the place.  ::)  But it's on the bus route, so I'll see it again.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2017, 01:05:59 PM »
Hi Albatross.  Have not seen that place yet, but it looks interesting. Any clue where it is? It says "west end" but no address given? (Not enough coffee for me yet, maybe, this morning.)

Their Facebook page says they're in St Vincent St, but a friend who has been there SWEARS they are in Bothwell Street... neither one would I class as being in the west end, so I really need to go and find out for myself!

There's a BreadMeatsBread on Great Western just east of Byres Road, and the menu looks ok (if a bit pricey for a burger) but the place was full of what the daughter calls "hipsters" so.... eh? If they ever put a special on I'll try them.

LOL... if you tried to steer clear of the hipsters in Glasgow, you'd never leave your house!  I didn't know about that location of BreadMeatsBread... I only knew of the one in the city centre, so that's good to know, cos I do want to try them.

Oh, on the way from City Center on the bus last week I saw on one side of the street "Punk Pizza" and on the other a place that seems to sell Tamales.  Not sure which has the most appeal at present, but going to CC next week and will have to check out the tamales ... If they just had one good tamal, I'd be thrilled. Of course, on the bus with all the neck ricochets trying to take in both sides of the street, I didn't get the name of the place.  ::)  But it's on the bus route, so I'll see it again.

I'm working in the city centre till end of August, and everyone at my new location is talking about Punk Pizza!  Looking forward to checking that out at some point, but will probably go to our brand-new local pizza place, Padrones, first.  But I am VERRRRRY interested in the tamale place... definitely didn't know that was there!!  :o

A quick google reveals that the place is called Topolabamba, 89 St Vincent St, and they're not open yet.  They open on 16 July.  I am away to Sheffield (where there are 2 Taco Bells!) the week of the 15th, but as soon as I get home, I am THERE!

Thanks for the heads-up!  :D

• Liked: 60
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2017, 06:58:33 PM »
Brenzie/anyone in Glasgow... have you been to this place yet?  It looks amaze, but we've only just heard of it and haven't been able to go yet...

http://www.roastersdeli.com/

I'm not familiar with it, but it looks great.

Supposedly Punk Pizza is fantastic, but I haven't been there yet.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab