Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Blue Screen of Death  (Read 2059 times)

• Liked: 533
Blue Screen of Death
« on: March 09, 2017, 06:56:39 PM »
Having spent a frightening afternoon repeatedly getting the blues screen, my wife popped in and told me I had left a CD in a drive and it was causing the error. Two second fix.

Just thought I would pass that on.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 36
Re: Blue Screen of Death
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 07:37:53 PM »
Hi SoS,

When was the last time the computer had a software update? or, also a fresh re-install of Windows?

The blue screen is of course indicative of a serious issue that's caused a fault. It could be anything, software corruption, incompatibility issue, memory problems etc etc and due to the Windows registry becoming corrupted.

I'm guessing it's a home PC and so long as you have all your data backed up, I'd say do a fresh install of windows and then get all the latest OS updates as well.

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 06:34:36 AM »
Hi SoS,

When was the last time the computer had a software update? or, also a fresh re-install of Windows?

I should have posted for advice here first!

Indeed, upon further questioning, my wife  had changed the drive sequence.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 35
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »
With properly functioning hardware you should never get the BSOD, even if you leave a CD in or change the boot order sequence. I would guess you have a hardware issue with your DVD drive.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 11:30:01 AM »
Your wife changed the drive sequence?  From DOS?  She either knows what she's doing or she knows enough to be dangerous. 

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 04:17:56 PM »
Your wife changed the drive sequence?  From DOS?  She either knows what she's doing or she knows enough to be dangerous.

She's good.

But I am reminded of my friend in high school who was a petrol head. His parents bought for him a brand new Trans Am when we graduated. They were terribly under-powered in the mid 80's, so the first weekend he had it he pulled the engine and rebuilt it with all sorts of stuff.

I don't like messing around "behind the curtain" of anything. I like stock settings. Run things at 80%....not 110%.

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 04:23:02 PM »
A Trans Am in the 80's.  Did he have a mullet? 

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 04:26:23 PM »
Mullet with a perm in the back. His name was Ricky.

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 05:04:07 PM »
 I was going to post a link to that song "Hey Ricky your so fine..." But it doesn't exist! 

I did find this article:

http://www.latlmes.com/world/mullets-and-the-patriarchy-1

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 05:15:30 PM »
I was going to post a link to that song "Hey Ricky your so fine..." But it doesn't exist! 

That's because it's called 'Hey Mickey' :P :

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 05:50:22 PM »
Did you link the Bring It On version?!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links