Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Possible to vote in UK elections while still in the US?  (Read 689 times)

• Liked: 0
Possible to vote in UK elections while still in the US?
« on: March 11, 2017, 06:18:09 PM »
I recently became UK citizen via registration (by descent) and am still resident in the US.  Is it possible for me to vote in UK elections?  I read that there is a 15 year rule for UK expats (they are not allowed to vote) and they are thinking of getting rid of the restriction.  Thanks.

• Liked: 718
Re: Possible to vote in UK elections while still in the US?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 07:57:01 PM »
I recently became UK citizen via registration (by descent) and am still resident in the US.  Is it possible for me to vote in UK elections?  I read that there is a 15 year rule for UK expats (they are not allowed to vote) and they are thinking of getting rid of the restriction.  Thanks.

From my reading of below it seems that you have to have registered to vote in the UK within the last 15 years.

https://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/register-to-vote/british-citizens-living-abroad

You must have been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years and be eligible to vote in UK Parliamentary general elections and European Parliamentary elections.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 07:59:06 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 35
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 10:41:24 AM »
I'm curious to know why you want to vote in UK elections.

I live in the UK but vote in US Federal elections because: a) I am subject to US tax law regardless of where I live, b) the result of US Federal elections can affect the whole planet, not just the US.

But can the same be said of the UK? If you are living in the US the effect of UK election results would be minimal I would have thought. Unless you are subject to UK tax, then voting makes clear sense.

When I moved to the US in 1999 I went through the hassle of registering to vote in the UK. This involved going to a UK consulate as I didn't know any other BCs living there. When I later moved inside the US I gave up - too much hassle - I had no UK income and didn't live there, so didn't affect my life. Sure, my family was all living in the UK but they had their votes they could use.

To be clear - I'm not criticizing, just interested in understanding - perhaps I overlooked something in my thinking all those years ago when I gave up with it, so would like to understand your thinking here.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 11:51:28 PM »
I am possibly moving to the UK in the future so taxes, NHS funding, Brexit, and whatever else does impact me. 

Sponsored Links