Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Expat of 20 years, but first time ever looking for support online!  (Read 704 times)

• Liked: 1
 Hello forum users,

I can't believe I haven't thought to look at a online forum before. It feels really great to be here, and to know that we can link up to share info and support.

I am an American, I moved to Cornwall, UK in 1997, (wow I can't believe it). I came with my husband, at the time, who is English, we had two very small children. I was young and very naive about the while thing! We wanted adventure, and I guess we found it.

It was much harder than I ever thought. Some things have been great about raising my children in Cornwall. It is a lovely place.

I have been through a lot since coming here....
Divorce, been self employed, employed (always found work extremely difficult to get), bought and renovated property, raised two children that are now at university in the UK. I have a large family in the US and find it very hard being away from them....

That is a bit about me. I am happy to share stories, advice and insight. Looking through some of the blog topic, reminds me of different issues I have gone through.

I have just files three years of taxes for the USA, and feeling overwhelmed when it comes to finances. I am at the point where my children are nearly finished University and we are all looking at possibly moving or traveling from the UK. I am struggling to come up with a plan, because I can't get my head around a financial plan.

I need a financial adviser that understands UK and US rules. I have looked online, but most of these firms look impersonal and large. I would like to hear if anyone has had a good experience and would recommend someone. I don't have complicated finance but need advice to do with property and pension planning.

Thank You!

• Liked: 1892
Re: Expat of 20 years, but first time ever looking for support online!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 10:52:37 AM »
I'm afraid I don't have much to add as I could use the same thing.  Except I can tell you to be cautious and be aware of how anyone who you trust to give you financial advice is being paid.  If you are not paying this person, then someone else certainly is, and the advice will suit the person paying the bills.   

I don't know if you are a fan of Reddit, but the financial advice threads in there can be pretty helpful.

Good luck! 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab