Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where to get started on Spousal Visa  (Read 603 times)

• Liked: 1
Where to get started on Spousal Visa
« on: March 17, 2017, 11:19:42 AM »
Hello Again,

At the moment I am living in the UK under a fiancé visa. I have just given my notice of marriage and will be getting married next month. I would like to get started on my spousal visa but don't really know where to start. I just checked the website and am a bit confused on what visa it is that I should be applying for. Please help.

Thank you,
Taylor

• Liked: 3595
Re: Where to get started on Spousal Visa
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »
Okay, where you may be getting confused is that it's not called a spousal visa if you're applying from within the UK... what you will actually be applying for is an FLR(M) extension visa (Further Leave to Remain).

A spousal visa can only be applied for from outside the UK if you are already married before you move. It is valid 33 months and costs £1,195 + £600 IHS surcharge = £1,795 in total.

An FLR(M) visa can only be applied for from within the UK if you get married on a fiance visa (or you get married while living in the UK on a work or student visa). It is valid for 30 months and costs £811 + £500 IHS surcharge = £1,311 in total.

However, the visa fees will be rising next month, so it will be a bit more than this when you apply.

The FLR(M) application is basically the same as the fiance visa in terms of documents you need, except this time you include your marriage certificate instead of evidence of plans to marry. So, you need updated accommodation and financial requirement documents.

Also, instead of your relationship evidence showing visits and communication while apart, you are supposed to include 6 pieces of mail addressed to both of you (either jointly or individually) at the same UK address, evenly spread over the time you've lived together. However, if you have only recently moved and don't have mail in your name yet, then you can explain this on the application.

You can either apply by post, mailing your documents off to UKVI after you are married, but this can take up to 2 months to be processed, or you can pay an extra £500 (or could be more when the fee rise in April) for an in-person appointment - which will give a same-day decision and then your BRP card (visa) will be mailed within 10 working days.

See here for more information about applying for FLR(M):
https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/overview

The application form is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-extend-stay-in-the-uk-as-a-partner-form-flrm

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 11:44:40 AM »
Okay, where you may be getting confused is that it's not called a spousal visa if you're applying from within the UK... what you will actually be applying for is an FLR(M) extension visa (Further Leave to Remain).

A spousal visa can only be applied for from outside the UK if you are already married before you move. It is valid 33 months and costs £1,195 + £600 IHS surcharge = £1,795 in total.

An FLR(M) visa can only be applied for from within the UK if you get married on a fiance visa (or you get married while living in the UK on a work or student visa). It is valid for 30 months and costs £811 + £500 IHS surcharge = £1,311 in total.

However, the visa fees will be rising next month, so it will be a bit more than this when you apply.

The FLR(M) application is basically the same as the fiance visa in terms of documents you need, except this time you include your marriage certificate instead of evidence of plans to marry. So, you need updated accommodation and financial requirement documents.

Also, instead of your relationship evidence showing visits and communication while apart, you are supposed to include 6 pieces of mail addressed to both of you (either jointly or individually) at the same UK address, evenly spread over the time you've lived together. However, if you have only recently moved and don't have mail in your name yet, then you can explain this on the application.

You can either apply by post, mailing your documents off to UKVI after you are married, but this can take up to 2 months to be processed, or you can pay an extra £500 (or could be more when the fee rise in April) for an in-person appointment - which will give a same-day decision and then your BRP card (visa) will be mailed within 10 working days.

See here for more information about applying for FLR(M):
https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/overview

The application form is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-extend-stay-in-the-uk-as-a-partner-form-flrm

Thank you!!! This is super helpful, and to think I thought the hard part was over.

T

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 11:53:48 AM »
Thank you!!! This is super helpful, and to think I thought the hard part was over.

T

You still have to take it just as seriously but FLR(M) seems easier because you have done it all before.  :)

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 12:01:17 PM »
You still have to take it just as seriously but FLR(M) seems easier because you have done it all before.  :)

Is there a list of all documents somewhere in existence that basically just spells it out for me? I have my original packet with me and checklist, I just don't want to leave anything out. LOVE THIS FORUM.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 01:03:13 PM »
Is there a list of all documents somewhere in existence that basically just spells it out for me? I have my original packet with me and checklist, I just don't want to leave anything out. LOVE THIS FORUM.

It's basically the same as your fiancee visa except send the marriage certificate instead of the wedding plans and any items of mail you have at the same address.

Same proof of financial and accommodation requirements needed, assuming the circumstances are unchanged.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »
If you do category A this is what I sent off last month, + the proof of accommodation.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=89736.msg1161794#msg1161794
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 39
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 11:01:10 AM »
Hiya

Sorry to hijack your post but you prompted a question I have been pondering .. we are just waiting for one more piece of paperwork before we apply for the first fiancée visa but I am already thinking about the next step ...
which I had read and this post has confirmed it can take up to 2 months by post... so when do you apply for it? 2 months prior to the initial visa finishing ... is there an "earliest" time you can apply, if for instance we got married 3 months after him being here.. can we apply then or do we have to wait? how late do we wait to apply for it?

Im sure there is a simple answer but Im not finding it :-/
UK born and bred, Bringing my partner here from US
Online Fiancé application: 05/04/17
Biometrics appointment: 12/04/17
Package sent to Sheffield: 12/04/17
Acknowledgement Email: 21/4/17
Decision E-mail: 12/06/17
Visa received: 14/06/17
Married: 11/08/17
FLR(M) granted: 11/1/2018
FLR(M) granted: 05/08/2020

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 11:06:37 AM »
You can apply for it any time from the date you are married to the expiry date of the fiancé visa.

It doesn't have to be processed before the fiancé visa expires, you just have to have mailed the application before the expiry date.

If your fiancé visa expires before the FLR(M) has been issued, your current immigration status will be extended until it has been processed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 11:19:49 AM »
I see ... thank you so much .. now to just think about what to collect as evidence for it so were not caught out scrabbling for lost email and logs lol

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 11:24:03 AM »
Well you don't need any email or call logs for the next visa.

You will need the same accommodation and financial requirement documents as for the fiancé visa, but for relationship evidence you send:

- your marriage certificate
- 6 pieces of mail in each of your names addressed to both of you at the same UK address (either joint or separately addressed) spread evenly over the time  you've lived together.

As you will only have recently arrived, you may not be able to provide 6 items yet, but best thing to do to prepare is to get your name added to as many things as possible when you arrive, and start saving all your mail (you'll need to do this anyway, for all the visas over the next 5 years).

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 11:28:06 AM »
Thank you ...

I have read many times over to get him on the council tax bill ... because there will not be much with his name on it, would you also get his name on utilities? or is there somewhere else/something else we can do?

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 11:30:45 AM »
You can get his name on the following things:
- council tax
-tenancy agreement (if applicable)
- water bills
- gas/electricity bills
- phone/TV bills
- registering with the NHS (normally you get sent your NHS number in the post)
- applying for a provisional licence (letters from DVLA count)
- opening a UK bank account (this can be tricky though)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 11:32:04 AM »
It'll be hard to get his name on much during the first six months.  Easiest places to start will be council tax, a bank account, and possibly utilities.  It may even be difficult to get him on at a GP's surgery as his fiancé visa won't allow free point-of-service treatment, could also be tough to get a provisional license until after he has his FLR(M).  Just get what you can.  You'll need something to be able to give notice at the registry office but I doubt you'll have much luck with too much else. 

x-posted with ksand

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 11:38:09 AM »
Thank you for all the replies ... we will have to get on that much quicker than we have this first visa lol

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab