Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Gifts from the US?  (Read 556 times)

• Liked: 1
Gifts from the US?
« on: March 19, 2017, 11:18:30 PM »
My husband and I are visiting the UK soon to see my relatives and do a little scouting around to make sure we actually want to move. I want to bring some gifts from the US (specifically Portland, OR), but have no idea what they would like, particularly my cousins' kids aged 14 (boy), 13 (girl), 9 (boy), and 3 (girl).

Any idea what kinds of things British kids might like from the US? Maybe something they've seen on TV but can't get there? I'm not sure what that might be in the Internet age, but there must be something! Suggestions for the adults would be welcome too, of course.

Thanks!

• Liked: 537
Re: Gifts from the US?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 11:59:14 PM »
Chocolate wouldn't be the best idea unless you're going for some of the more expensive brands. They like their cadbury's over here.

Have you tried asking your cousin what the kids are into? It would help you narrow it down a bit.

If the youngsters are into Disney you could bring anything Moana that they can't get here.

The teens...
Might go for some junk food not easily gotten here? Like Hostess products, pop tarts, etc.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 12:17:03 AM »
Haha, yes, I'm aware of how the rest of the world views our chocolate! Speaking of which, we're arriving right before Easter, so some (non-chocolate) Easter candy  might be fun -- do they have Peeps over there?

As far as other junk food, I'm not sure what you can or can't get (easily) in the UK. Hostess and Pop Tarts are a good start. Personally, I think both are gross, but I'm sure my husband will be able to provide some guidance there!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 12:40:38 AM »
Haha, yes, I'm aware of how the rest of the world views our chocolate! Speaking of which, we're arriving right before Easter, so some (non-chocolate) Easter candy  might be fun -- do they have Peeps over there?

As far as other junk food, I'm not sure what you can or can't get (easily) in the UK. Hostess and Pop Tarts are a good start. Personally, I think both are gross, but I'm sure my husband will be able to provide some guidance there!
Peeps would be good, and maybe jellybeans? The starburst ones used to be nice, or no? They don't have peeps here at all. They don't have Butterfingers here either, but that could be a bit more hit or miss. I remember Butterfinger eggs.

Yeah, people really like Twinkies for some reason and they're really expensive. I'd love a box of HoHos myself. Mostly for nostalgia. Haha.

I don't like pop tarts either. I so wish you could get toaster strudel or eggos.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 12:52:27 AM »
Super helpful, thanks! I don't think I've had the Starburst jellybeans, but that's definitely a thing -- I'll pick some up!

• Liked: 584
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 08:07:39 AM »
I so wish you could get toaster strudel or eggos.

They're not branded as 'eggo', but I have bought frozen toaster waffles a year or 2 ago, which seemed to me to be identical to Eggos.  Look in the freezer section near all the frozen cakes and pies.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 08:38:40 AM »
My husband loves the Welch's strawberry liquorice things. I also brought back a pack of pixie sticks for my stepson last time I went home. He said he liked them all except one flavor. Can't really go wrong with flavored sugar for kids.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 08:49:32 AM »
Peeps would be a good shout, but bring a single pack.  They are going to react VERY strangely to them so it'll be more a novelty factor than people actually eating them.  Kind of like cheese in a can.

Cinnamon gum usually goes down a treat.  Jelly Belly's are a good idea.  They *can* be found here in tiny quantities and cost a fortune, so it's unlikely they've had them.

Yup, Albatross is right.  Birds Eye sells frozen waffles and they are pretty good.

*munches on her Pop Tart while she types*

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 11:22:54 AM »
I'd suggest some sports clothes for the olde kids if he's interested.  Some teenagers would kill for a Chicago Bulls hat, but you've got to know exactly what they want. 

One thing you cannot get here is the Easter Egg colouring kits.  That would be a fun activity everyone can do together. 

They also don't do those giant mixed baskets here, they do one giant egg. 
I think pop tarts are widely available.  Atomic fireball candies are not available here.

• Liked: 21
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 11:45:22 AM »
My mom always put Peeps in my Easter basket. I know some people dislike them but I actually love them. Then again, I like pretty much anything marshmallow.

TK Maxx (same thing as TJ Maxx) often has Jelly Belly jelly beans cheaper than what you would find in candy shops or supermarkets. My husband is a huge Jelly Belly fan so that's where I go if I ever need to get any.

The 13 year old girl may like a nice lotion/body spray/body wash set. There's no Bath and Body Works over here, so perhaps she'd like that? We do have The Body Shop, but they don't have nearly as big of a selection as B&BW.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:54:42 AM by Karlee »
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

Sponsored Links