Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Want to start a business. Don't know where to go from here.  (Read 634 times)

• Liked: 0
Want to start a business. Don't know where to go from here.
« on: March 20, 2017, 08:27:06 PM »
Hey to anyone reading. So I will attempt to make this as simple as possible. I am an American, looking to move to the UK to start my own business and pursue a career path in the business i choose. I targeted the business idea, talked it over with a friend in the UK, and they are also on board with getting the business started. I am fully ready to make the move, commitment, etc. The issue I'm running into right now is working through the Visa situation. It would seem the most logical step for me is to pursue the Tier 1 entrepreneurial Visa, but the terms on the website are starting I need invest funds of £50,000 endorsed by the department of international trade, or £200,000.  Are there no other easier ways around this?

I do understand the logistical standpoint behind the numbers. They don't want someone unfunded coming in setting up shop only to fail or need assistance. And they want to make sure that said immigrant is serious in their endeavors.  I've been trying to study the immigration site for a few days and it all just leads back to the Tier 1 since this is something I want to do on my own, but I'm just at a bit of a dead end. Any and all advice as to what to do and where to go would be greatly appreciated.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Want to start a business. Don't know where to go from here.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:03:12 PM »
The £200,000 route is the only one I've heard of people using.  There's another one that's £1 million.

The UK is incredibly anti-immigration, so they just make it really hard.  If you have money, they'll happily let you in though.   ;)   What is the reason for the UK?  If it's that the business idea will only work here, you should be able to find investors (with hard work).  If the business idea will work elsewhere, you'll likely find another country that is easier to do business in.

Plus with Brexit - I think the market is going to tank.  Not everyone shares my view, but I think things are going to get BAD and take some time to get better.  Granted, that also means it could be a great time to invest as the bottom starts to fall out of the economy.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 01:01:24 PM »
But is that it, there is no other way to enter on a permanent basis? I really don't understand why it's so difficult when someone wants to move. I get the country doesn't want to get stuck taking care of people that can't do it for themselves, but the steps you have to go through are so overwhelming.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 01:13:09 PM »
Yep, that's it.

You either qualify for the Tier 1 entrepreneur visa or you try a different visa:
- Tier 4 student visa
- Tier 2 sponsored work visa

It's difficult because the UK is trying to reduce the number of people moving to the UK - due to a perception that immigrants are taking UK jobs and claiming UK Benefits and putting a strain on our resources (like healthcare)... they aren't but that's what people think.

If you think getting to the UK is hard, other countries are just as difficult. The US isn't exactly easy to move to either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »
The UK just voted for Brexit, which some would argue is economic suicide because it was one way to limit the number of foreigners in this country. 

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 02:25:53 PM »
But is that it, there is no other way to enter on a permanent basis?

Why do you want to enter on a permanent basis?  Even the Tier 1 isn't permanent without continued additional investment...

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 02:28:47 PM »
Because it's just somewhere I personally want to be for a permanent basis. The career path I have also would like to forge lends itself well to the area that I would like to be in. There are other factors as well, but personal preference and career are the two most prominent.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 02:32:34 PM »
Because it's just somewhere I personally want to be for a permanent basis. The career path I have also would like to forge lends itself well to the area that I would like to be in. There are other factors as well, but personal preference and career are the two most prominent.

Then hunt down those investors!  And keep them sweet.  You'll need more money after a couple of years.   :)

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 02:34:07 PM »

Do you have a British significant other? If you do, it would probably be much easier to move to the UK permanently on a partner/spousal visa than it would be to qualify for a Tier 1 visa (though you would likely need to get married to qualify).

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 01:20:24 PM »
Unfortunately no, not anyone like that. Here's a question, if you form an LLP or LP with a current UK citizen does that give you any type of right to be there? Or will they not even let you get that far into the process because they'll only allow UK only partnerships
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:21:47 PM by Gameboy88 »

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 01:40:46 PM »
Unfortunately no, not anyone like that. Here's a question, if you form an LLP or LP with a current UK citizen does that give you any type of right to be there? Or will they not even let you get that far into the process because they'll only allow UK only partnerships

No, unfortunately not.  The options you have looked at and been told about are literally the only options.

I cannot stress how anti-immigration the UK is.  They are desperately doing everything they can to keep people out (and trying to encourage the ones who are here to move).  It's really not a nice place to be as an immigrant.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »

I cannot stress how anti-immigration the UK is.  They are desperately doing everything they can to keep people out (and trying to encourage the ones who are here to move).  It's really not a nice place to be as an immigrant.

Although it is true that the criteria for obtaining a visa are strict and not likely to get any easier, I don't think it's as bad as that!
Just to present a different perspective, my husband, the immigrant, loves it here and has pretty much been treated like a Rock Star by everyone he meets.   :)

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 01:57:19 PM »
Although it is true that the criteria for obtaining a visa are strict and not likely to get any easier, I don't think it's as bad as that!
Just to present a different perspective, my husband, the immigrant, loves it here and has pretty much been treated like a Rock Star by everyone he meets.   :)

I should clarify and say that the GOVERNMENT wants to encourage immigrants to leave and that is where the anti-immigration sentiment comes from.

But I'm white and speak English.  I know I am treated differently than someone from the middle east.  Maybe it's just the area I'm in?  Luckily people have learned to not say that I'm "the right kind of immigrant."  That doesn't go down well with me!

I've certainly never been treated like a rock star though!   ;D

Sponsored Links