Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Job  (Read 1378 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Job
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 10:19:58 AM »
i truly had an honest conversation and was told UK unemployed people would get a job faster than someone coming overseas. it's like we taking their jobs. Going back home,

Has anybody else had this experience? Just very curious as I've never had this issue in terms of applying for jobs and being compared to unemployed brits. In fairness, I've only ever worked at one company here and changed roles internally, but have interviewed outside the company and have never felt as though being from overseas was made into an issue. The most that's happened is they say "Just to check, you can legally work correct?" and I say "yes, I'm here on a spousal visa so all is fine there" so they know they wouldn't need to sponsor me or anything. Curious to hear about other people experiences in this area as I'm curious if maybe people coming from certain areas have more of a "they're taking our jobs!" mindset with companies over here than others?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 533
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 04:44:15 PM »
I think that is the basis for the "UK work experience" situation - which is a handy way of being anti-immigrant.

But then again I remember seeing "please attach recent photo" in ads and the old "so, planning on starting a family?" crap.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 116
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 04:47:23 PM »
Has anybody else had this experience? Just very curious as I've never had this issue in terms of applying for jobs and being compared to unemployed brits. In fairness, I've only ever worked at one company here and changed roles internally, but have interviewed outside the company and have never felt as though being from overseas was made into an issue. The most that's happened is they say "Just to check, you can legally work correct?" and I say "yes, I'm here on a spousal visa so all is fine there" so they know they wouldn't need to sponsor me or anything. Curious to hear about other people experiences in this area as I'm curious if maybe people coming from certain areas have more of a "they're taking our jobs!" mindset with companies over here than others?

I have encountered a couple of jobs (from temp agencies) that require indefinite leave to remain.  I laughed a little because if I am still unemployed and looking around temp agencies in 5 years just to get some work experience just kill me.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

Sponsored Links