Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting an NHS number?  (Read 1313 times)

• Liked: 32
Getting an NHS number?
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:27:14 PM »
Hi folks,

Now that spousal visa approval is behind me (yay!) I'm trying to figure out how to navigate the NHS. 

Is the only way to get an NHS number to register with a GP?  Do I need to physically go into an office or can I do this ahead of time on a website?

I'll need pre-natal care within a few weeks of arriving in the UK.  Do I register with a GP first, or can I find an OB and register with them?

Thanks!!

• Liked: 3595
Getting an NHS number?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 12:15:27 AM »
You get an NHS number when you register with a GP - it's literally just the number they use to identify you in their system. You just pick up a registration form from the GP, fill it out, hand it in and you'll get your NHS number in the mail about a week later. You will need proof of UK address though (to show you live within the GP catchment area) so I'd get your name on something ASAP when you arrive.

If you need to make an appointment you normally just have to wait a week or so for them to put you in the system and then you can make as many appointments as you need to.

However, if you want to see an OB, you do it though your GP anyway. You don't 'find an OB' as such... everything OB-related is usually done through your GP's office - if you need to see an OB specifically, normally you need to get a referral to one from your GP first.

See here for information about pre-natal care:
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/antenatal-midwife-care-pregnant.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 12:20:00 AM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 32
Re: Getting an NHS number?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 12:38:22 AM »
Thank you for this.  I am constantly amazed at the wealth of information on this board.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Getting an NHS number?
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 01:17:02 AM »
Feel free to message me about the UK way.  It's VERY different than the US.  Chances are you'll never see an OB, just a midwife.  It's very hands off here.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab