Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Worried about getting back to the UK in our senior years  (Read 14690 times)

• Liked: 37
Worried about getting back to the UK in our senior years
« on: March 29, 2017, 07:38:02 PM »
Can anyone help please?
I married an American in the USA we've been married 3 years he's 65 and I'm 68, we want to move back to the UK asap, I have family there, I'm just not clear on the most expedient way to do it, as we are both retired. We have around $30,000 in savings and I am in receipt of my UK pension
Any advice will be welcome as I'm totally confused with all the jargon contained in various forms.
Janette
Met for the first time 2012
Married in the US May 2014
Biometrics for husband 12th June
Package mailed priority  to Sheffield 13th June
Email confirmation from Sheffield 16th June.
Decision received 11th July 😀 17 BD

• Liked: 4985
Re: Worried about getting back to the UK in our senior years
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 07:44:29 PM »
What is your joint annual income from your pensions?  Does it equate to £18,600 a year minimum?

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:50:04 PM »
Hi KFDANCER
Thank you for your reply, yes my husbands money alone amounts to around £32,000

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 08:37:23 PM »
Then you are good to apply.  Have a read through the application.  https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/home/welcome

You'll qualify under category E.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525708/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

You'll also need somewhere to live when you first move over.

Ask away as you have questions.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 08:56:12 PM »
Thank you KFdancer...great news I'll take a good look at the forms....I'll get back to you if there is something I don't understand 😊

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 07:16:27 PM »
I'm confused about getting back to the UK as although my husband and I have adequate means through our pensions that seems to satisfy the criteria,isn't there something that requires you to have a certain amount of money in a savings account ?

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 07:30:27 PM »
I'm confused about getting back to the UK as although my husband and I have adequate means through our pensions that seems to satisfy the criteria,isn't there something that requires you to have a certain amount of money in a savings account ?

No, that's only ONE way of meeting the financial requirement. If you have enough income in pension per year (£18,600 or more), you don't need ANY savings.

The various ways to meet the income requirement are:

Category A and B: UK employment income of £18,600 or more per year

Category C: non-employment income of £18,600 or more per year (things like rental income from property, interest from stocks and shares, academic grants or stipends)

Category D: cash savings of £62,500 or more (if you have no income)

Category E: pension income of £18,600 or more per year

Category F and G: UK self-employment income of £18,600 or more per year

So, in your case, if you have annual pension income of £18,600 or more per year (either individually, or combined) that you have been receiving for at least 28 days, and it will continue in the UK, you can meet the requirement under Category E: Pension Income, and you don't have to worry about the other categories.

See here for more information about the categories and how you can meet the financial requirement:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525708/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:34:02 PM by ksand24 »

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 07:32:21 PM »
No, there are several ways to meet the requirements.

As you meet the £18,600 a year through pension income, you don't have to have savings (nor do they want to see what you have, they just want to put a tick in the box). 

Alternatively if you had zero income, you'd have to have £62,500 in savings to qualify!

Xposted with ksand

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 08:19:19 PM »
Ksand24
Thanks so much I can't believe it's such a minefield. ..I'm from Norfolk UK and  I married my US husband in the states, we've lived out here for 3 years now, but he retired before xmas last and we both want to move back to the UK asap I have children and grandchildren there.
If I download the immigration form and apply for him now do you have any idea of the cost, or how long the procedure will take? because we were considering going back with him on a 90 day visa and applying from the UK....time's very important right now as I have a very sick son who would appreciate my bring there.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 08:22:39 PM »
KFDANCER
Once again thanks for your input but I'm afraid it's only the former option that's open to us as we really don't have that amount of savings and at our age I doubt we could raise anything like it.
I'm just grateful that our pensions will enable us to get back.

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 08:30:26 PM »
If I download the immigration form and apply for him now do you have any idea of the cost, or how long the procedure will take? because we were considering going back with him on a 90 day visa and applying from the UK....time's very important right now as I have a very sick son who would appreciate my bring there.

A few things:

1) if he went to the UK as a visitor, it would be a 6-month visa, not 90 days.

2) However, if he did that, you couldn't apply from the UK anyway because he would not qualify for the visa and it will be refused - you cannot switch from a visitor visa to any other kind of visa from within the UK.

3) It's not quite as simple as downloading the form and applying. The application process and the documents required are very specific, and you really need to do your research before you apply.

4) There are actually two forms to complete - the online application and the paper VAF4a Appendix 2 form

5) The spousal visa itself costs £1,195. Then you also have to pay an IHS surcharge, which is a levy to give free access to the NHS... this is £600 paid upfront when you apply. So the visa is £1,795 in total.

There are 3 main requirements you must meet for the visa:

- financial requirement... your pension income of £18,600 per year
- accommodation requirement... you must have guaranteed accommodation to live in in the UK, with evidence in the form of permission from the landlord/homeowner to live there
- relationship requirement... evidence of your marriage and of living together in the US for the last few years

Your timeline should be:

1) research the visa requirements, the documents you must gather and the format that each document must be in

2) gather all the documents together and make sure your timing is all sorted because certain documents have to be dated within 28 days of the date you submit the online application (which will be one of the last things you do)

3) Read through the paper version of the online application form, to get an idea of how you will need to fill it out (though some of the questions are slightly different)

3) Print and complete the second half of the application form, VAF4a Appendix 2... this contains all the questions about how you meet the requirements for the spousal visa

4) When you are completely ready to apply, with every document in your hands, complete the online application form

5) Submit the online application form and pay for the visa and for the IHS surcharge. You will then be prompted to book an appointment to give biometrics (fingerprints and photo) at a USCIS Application Support Center

6) Attend the biometrics appointment with your US passport and appointment confirmation letter. They will stamp the letter, take your fingerprints and photo and send you home

7) Within 5 days of the biometrics appointment, you must mail your application forms, passport, stamped biometrics letter and all your supporting documents to Sheffield for processing

8 ) there is an option to purchase settlement priority processing for £450 to get the application put to the front of the processing line. This is definitely worth paying for at this time of year (and through the summer) as processing times can be anywhere from a couple of weeks up to a few months.

9) Wait for the visa to be processed and mailed back to you

10) book flights to the UK and move :).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:33:58 PM by ksand24 »

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 08:32:14 PM »
KFDANCER
Once again thanks for your input but I'm afraid it's only the former option that's open to us as we really don't have that amount of savings and at our age I doubt we could raise anything like it.
I'm just grateful that our pensions will enable us to get back.

It's nothing to be concerned about - you're very lucky that you meet the requirement with your pensions and don't have to worry about using savings or employment income.

So many people really struggle to meet the requirements and either have to spend months or years apart in order to meet the financial requirement or they have to accept they will not be able to move to the UK at all.

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 08:56:27 PM »
Ksand24
Thank you for going to so much trouble, your instructions are very clear, however I took a look at the paper form and I'm having difficulty understanding which is our category? there's nowhere that mentions our circumstances. ..remember I am a UK citizen living here in the US with my American born husband, we married here and have lived here since then. The form speaks of joining a spouse or partner living in the UK so that's why I'm confused. When, and if we are allowed to go back we'll be travelling together.
Am I missing something?

Worried about getting back to the UK in our senior years
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 09:40:49 PM »
No, you're not missing something - it's just that the wording is confusing.

Basically, you are applying for a 'join spouse in the UK' visa... you just have to be a UK citizen... you don't actually have to actually be living the UK when he applies... you can be moving back at the same time as him.

The visa type he will apply for on the online application  is:
Settlement -> Settlement -> Husband

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 09:45:36 PM »
Ksand24
Again you've put my mind at rest, so thank you for responding so speedily  :)
No doubt I'll have more questions lol but hopefully not too many.j

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab