Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Foods you have NOT learned to love  (Read 6601 times)

• Liked: 585
Re: UK Foods you have NOT learned to love
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 12:50:19 PM »
I like black currant and spoke squash

Trying to work out what your auto-correct changed to 'spoke'!

Maybe I'm buying the wrong thing, but every time I buy minced meat and use it for things like tacos, it never really gets broken down small. I can't explain it. Lol but to me it's just not the same.

I like my mince a bit chunky, but my OH hates it, and wants the mince to really small and fine.  To get the texture he likes, I buy bags of frozen mince, and he says it's perfect.  Maybe try that?

For me, I will never eat haggis (tried it once, before I knew what was in it), or any other offal.  No tripe, no kidney, no liver, no pluck... no organs, EVER!!!  [smiley=puke.gif]
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 12:53:05 PM by Albatross »

• Liked: 154
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 12:50:58 PM »
Trying to work out that your auto-correct changed to 'spoke'!

I like my mince a bit chunky, but my OH hates it, and wants the mince to really small and fine.  To get the texture he likes, I buy bags of frozen mince, and he says it's perfect.  Maybe try that?

For me, I will never eat haggis (tried it once, before I knew what was in it), or any other offal.  No tripe, no kidney, no liver, no pluck... no organs, EVER!!!  [smiley=puke.gif]

Ahh apple sorry! Auto correct got me ha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 134
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 12:52:47 PM »
I also hate the butter on sandwich thing. First time I met my MIL she made us ham sandwiches for lunch and I hate ham and then add butter to it had to force it down.

I cannot stand this!  And every pre-packaged sandwich seems to have mayonnaise slathered on it.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 537
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 01:39:34 PM »

Maybe I'm buying the wrong thing, but every time I buy minced meat and use it for things like tacos, it never really gets broken down small. I can't explain it. Lol but to me it's just not the same.

I made tacos for the first time and it started out weird and not the texture I wanted. I found if I mashed the meat together before it cooked in the strings from the grinder I could get my taco meat to the texture I like.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 09:09:34 PM »
I've been away from England for 13 years now but the husband and kids still insist on me going to the British grocer outside our subdivision to buy certain foods that I still can't take: piccalilli, blackcurrant anything, custard from a can, Bisto, Heinz beans (they taste of nothing to me) and pickled onions (why?!?!) and I pay top dollar for it too! Bleh!

I echo the sentiment of butter on sandwiches. No!

Trifle is sweet and wet bread. Ugh. Mexicans have a similar dessert called "Tres Leches" cake and it's gross too.

I don't mind Marmite nor haggis and black pudding. I wouldn't ask for it but I could eat it.

I truly cannot drink UHT milk. That is vile!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 223
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 09:24:10 PM »
This butter convo is interesting.

I remember growing up in the US we'd get PB&J sandwiches with butter on the jelly side.

I remember being told it was so the jelly didn't soak through and make the bread soggy. I don't know if it actually did any good and I don't do it now myself.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 116
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 09:57:04 PM »
I also hate blackcurrant.  I also don't like/really understand squash.  I never seem to get the right consistency.

My husband and I just had a conversation about mayonnaise and why the British seem to like it more than the Americans.  No idea really but I'm not a fan.

I like a Sunday roast dinner but I hate roasted potatoes.  They taste too starchy to me!  I'd prefer chips or mash.  (Or none, and an extra Yorkshire pudding.)

I'm sure I'll think of more foods later, but those are the ones that come to mind.  I have tried haggis and I actually liked it so that's something.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 10:13:05 PM »
British Mexican food is often disappointing.

I'm not going to pretend that American Mexican food is the real deal, but I do miss good guac and salsa with tortilla chips. I miss non-greasy tortilla chips, although I do appreciate that the Sainsbury's tortilla chips are only 50p.

We went to Wahaca once and all the vegetarian dishes seemed to have cactus. It wasn't our cup of tea and we haven't been back since.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 10:37:20 PM »

We went to Wahaca once and all the vegetarian dishes seemed to have cactus. It wasn't our cup of tea and we haven't been back since.

I'm impressed that nopales/ cactus is actually used over at Wahaca. I grew up eating them. Interesting to know.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2017, 10:41:28 PM »
I actually liked Wahaca but we're not vegetarian, so we had a lot of choices.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 11:34:02 PM »

I'm not going to pretend that American Mexican food is the real deal, but I do miss good guac and salsa with tortilla chips. I miss non-greasy tortilla chips, although I do appreciate that the Sainsbury's tortilla chips are only 50p.

Is it that the chips are greasy? When I eat tortilla chips and corn shells here they seem to be stale, like when you leave the bag open and have the swamp cooler on. They simply aren't crisp. Or not getting crisp/chip bags closed in a humid climate.  (I'm originally from MN and that happened to chips on the regular)
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 82
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2017, 11:39:43 PM »
I've been away from England for 13 years now but the husband and kids still insist on me going to the British grocer outside our subdivision to buy certain foods that I still can't take: piccalilli, blackcurrant anything, custard from a can, Bisto, Heinz beans (they taste of nothing to me) and pickled onions (why?!?!) and I pay top dollar for it too! Bleh!

I echo the sentiment of butter on sandwiches. No!

Trifle is sweet and wet bread. Ugh. Mexicans have a similar dessert called "Tres Leches" cake and it's gross too.

I don't mind Marmite nor haggis and black pudding. I wouldn't ask for it but I could eat it.

I truly cannot drink UHT milk. That is vile!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ohhhhh i love bisto

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 03:01:12 AM »

Try M&S lightly salted tortilla chips.  Can get on offer 2 bags for £2.  Not cheap but not greasy and the best I've found.  Gluten free which is a bonus in our house!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 05:31:22 AM »
My husband said he can't get corn tortillas like they have here, that makes me a little sad.  I haven't seen many ethnic food choices where I will be and that makes me sad too, I really hope to find a good Thai place.  I do like black currant jelly, a coworker introduced me to it.

I don't get the chip buttys or whatever, my husband is part Irish, I get they like potatoes but...a sandwich with just fries?  I get doing that with burgers for crunch, but on it's own I don't know.  I have not tried it so shouldn't really judge it yet.

I don't like blood pudding, husband is determined to get me to like it.  He said he found a sausage that has it mixed in so he hopes I will like that and eventually like blood pudding.

I don't really like fish and chips...maybe I'm not much of a fish person, I don't know...maybe I want a more flavorful batter?  Husband says it's all about the delicate taste of the fish and the batter should overpower it...but the fish doesn't taste like much to me....maybe I will learn to enjoy it.

Going to miss good guac and I hope avocado is the same as here, not sure what to expect fruit wise...I want delicious mangos, which unfortunately not even US has, so prob can't expect it in the UK.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 05:43:45 AM by ConsuelaLemonPledge »
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 08:27:00 AM »
Is it that the chips are greasy? When I eat tortilla chips and corn shells here they seem to be stale, like when you leave the bag open and have the swamp cooler on. They simply aren't crisp. Or not getting crisp/chip bags closed in a humid climate.  (I'm originally from MN and that happened to chips on the regular)

We don't usually have issues with tortilla chips going stale, but if we are pacing ourselves and they do go stale, we put them in the oven on a low heat to dry them out. Same with taco shells.

It's just the grease we can't get rid of. :-[
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:55:31 PM by TravelingFrog »

Sponsored Links