Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Foods you have NOT learned to love  (Read 6570 times)

• Liked: 3
Re: UK Foods you have NOT learned to love
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2017, 09:43:36 AM »
We have a lovely local bakery chain called Harry Gows which makes amazing cakes.  If you're lucky enough to get a Harry Gow birthday cake, life is good! 

I've got a funny US-UK story though about cake. I volunteer with a group called Children with Diabetes, which is a US based charity and they have huge conferences in Orlando every year, but started doing  UK conferences about 7-8 years ago.  The charity has dieticians who are amazing and work with the kitchen staff to get accurate carb counts and to cater for Coeliacs (Because Type 1 Diabetes and Coeliac go hand and hand).  So working from afar, they had requested that one of the lunch desserts to be yellow sheet cake with chocolate frosting (the very thing US school cafeterias are really good at).
Well I'm not sure why the kitchen staff didn't ask for clarification or at least hit up google or something, but out came this strange gloopy concoction that was definitely not yellow and no chocolate frosting!  I'm guessing they were trying to make something like tiramisu ,but it didn't work and was really pretty gross.   

The next year, they asked for sponge cake with chocolate icing  ;D

A similar dessert confusion episode happened at the Thanksgiving event that was catered by the UK dining hall staff at my university. The American student group that organised the event made a list of the food they wanted to have and then the catering staff made it. The group requested "pumpkin and apple pie" and that's exactly what was made. A pumpkin pie with apples it, rather than pumpkin pies and apple pies. It was an interesting dessert. The staff who made it must have thought that Americans are so strange.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2017, 05:45:21 PM »
Why does the cottage cheese taste off?  And skipjack tuna is not a favourite of mine.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 68
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »
Why does the cottage cheese taste off?  And skipjack tuna is not a favourite of mine.

Never even noticed until you mentioned it but yes, the cottage cheese does taste a bit more sour doesn't it?!

• Liked: 11
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2017, 06:02:30 PM »
How do people find good coffee (beans)? I think it always seemed like all the supermarket stuff had no oils on it and was really bland, so presumably you need to order it online? And I was not impressed with instant coffee being served in lieu of the real thing...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Liked: 68
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2017, 06:25:58 PM »
How do people find good coffee (beans)? I think it always seemed like all the supermarket stuff had no oils on it and was really bland, so presumably you need to order it online? And I was not impressed with instant coffee being served in lieu of the real thing...

I have a small independent coffee shop by me that sells good coffee beans. Perhaps try to find one near you? I think Starbucks beans are okay too but can be expensive (and I've only tried the ones from the US to be fair so not sure it's the same here?)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:45:24 PM by BriKH »

• Liked: 957
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2017, 08:42:40 PM »

I never understood the instant coffee everywhere! I actually started bringing some from the US for my trips to see my husband, the coffee from tesco just doesn't compare. I will probably stock up again before I move but it only stays fresh for so long! I will definitely be seeking out the small good cafes wherever we live (sounding like it will be in/around Bromley) because a perfect cup of coffee is one of my favorite things. :)

• Liked: 154
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2017, 08:15:23 AM »
The more I drink instant the more I can tolerate it, but when I get real coffee that's actually good I'm in heaven.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2017, 10:50:10 AM »
Ground coffee can be like sawdust. It is true.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 116
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2017, 09:27:53 PM »

There are several types at M&S that I like.  Worth the trial and error there--sometimes they have deals on.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 7
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2017, 10:12:02 PM »
English bacon is an abomination. I miss crispy bacon.

• Liked: 584
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2017, 10:17:39 PM »
Buy streaky instead of back bacon.
Or pancetta.  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2017, 10:28:35 PM »

The best streaky bacon I've found is from Tesco! They have smoked and unsmoked versions. Just make sure there is enough fat on it or it's weird.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:33:12 PM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 11
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2017, 11:53:15 PM »
The high quality streaky bacon was always nicer than most stuff we get in the US! But I preferred their normal bacon when I still ate mammals. Re: coffee, does anybody know if there is shade grown coffee easily available? Trader Joe's has a nice one. I'm thinking about bringing a ton from here and vacuum packing it, which I think would work OK.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2017, 01:12:51 PM »

Sometimes Aldi has a really nice smoky streaky bacon. 

• Liked: 533
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2017, 01:16:13 PM »
I'm thinking about bringing a ton from here and vacuum packing it, which I think would work OK.

I think I saw on a show or something once that drug dealers often use coffee as a way to disguise/mask their product.

Would showing up with a lot of sealed bricks of coffee get you pulled aside?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab