Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Keeping Health Insurance  (Read 1405 times)

• Liked: 6
Keeping Health Insurance
« on: April 09, 2017, 05:03:35 AM »
I don't know if I need to try and keep some sort of health insurance in the US.  Our plan is currently to live in England, however we don't know if due to family we may have to move to the US later. 

If we return to the US at some point I don't know how easy it will be to get insured.  Anyone had any experience in the past with this? I don't know if to maybe keep some sort of policy, I think it's called catastrophic insurance plan that helps with major issues.  I don't have any major pre-existing conditions.  So is insurance back in the US probably overkill? I would be happy to not have the extra expense as money is going to be tight if my current work situation doesn't work out well.

Also, my visa says no "no public funds".  Does that mean I can't get free health insurance in England?  Do I need to start looking for insurance coverage in England?
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 82
Re: Keeping Health Insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 08:17:40 AM »
I didn't keep my insurance up in the US. And no, you don't need to buy any health insurance in the UK unless you want private insurance. The NHS isn't a public fund and you can use it from the day you land on a spouse visa. It's why you pay the ihs surcharge.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 09:25:49 AM »
Also, my visa says no "no public funds".  Does that mean I can't get free health insurance in England?  Do I need to start looking for insurance coverage in England?

No, the NHS is NOT public funds and is completely separate.

You have paid the £600 IHS surcharge specifically to give you 'free' access to all NHS healthcare in the U.K.

A list of what is considered public funds is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds--2/public-funds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 134
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 03:41:29 PM »
Most people probably just take out travel insurance when you return to the US for visits.  If you move back, I would imagine you would arrange health insurance at that time.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab