Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things the British do that I admire  (Read 6296 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: Things the British do that I admire
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2017, 08:43:28 AM »
In the 90's, I worked for the advertising sales departments of The Guardian

They could probably use you back. Dire situation.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 718
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »
The post above on ladies wearing hats made me smile.  When we look at our wedding photos from 1976 it is certainly easy to see what side of the family the ladies in the photos belonged to. All the ladies who were friends and family on my wife's side wore hats but none worn from my side of the family.  Don't know if this was a Durham v Manchester thing or just a peculiarity between our 2 families.

Probably a northern England thing but I like seeing men in flat caps. (even better if they also happen to be walking a whippet)
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 537
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2017, 12:59:02 PM »
The post above on ladies wearing hats made me smile.  When we look at our wedding photos from 1976 it is certainly easy to see what side of the family the ladies in the photos belonged to. All the ladies who were friends and family on my wife's side wore hats but none worn from my side of the family.  Don't know if this was a Durham v Manchester thing or just a peculiarity between our 2 families.

Probably a northern England thing but I like seeing men in flat caps. (even better if they also happen to be walking a whippet)
We've got a whippet! Husband wears his flat cap sometimes. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2017, 01:27:23 PM »
We've got a whippet! Husband wears his flat cap sometimes. Haha.

Brilliant!!

I grew up in whippet country, and Sunday mornings at a local park a short walk from home were always a group of men with their whippets, training them to chase a "hare" with a hand operated device they set up to pull the hare along at great speed.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2017, 01:57:18 PM »
Brilliant!!

I grew up in whippet country, and Sunday mornings at a local park a short walk from home were always a group of men with their whippets, training them to chase a "hare" with a hand operated device they set up to pull the hare along at great speed.
We see that a lot. There was racing done in an old hall field near us every Sunday. We're in South Derbyshire.

We don't do any of the racing with him, though he's from racing lines. He just gets to chase his saluki cross rescue sister around the fields or after balls. He's such a good lad.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2017, 08:52:29 PM »
The "Blood Swept Lands" art installation of poppies at the Tower of London was the best art exhibit I've ever seen by a mile.  Truly honouring, so symbolic, so moving.  And that they held firm that the display would be so short.  Awesome!

We bought three poppies.   :D

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2017, 01:02:03 AM »
The "Blood Swept Lands" art installation of poppies at the Tower of London was the best art exhibit I've ever seen by a mile.  Truly honouring, so symbolic, so moving.  And that they held firm that the display would be so short.  Awesome!

I was at the Tower of London yesterday and we were just talking about that art installation. I got to see it with my husband on my first trip to the UK. It was gorgeous.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2017, 01:37:34 PM »
Volunteer lifeboats are pretty cool.  Not sure why the government won't just pay for it like the Coast Guard in the states, but respect for the volunteers.

• Liked: 82
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2017, 01:51:16 PM »

we saw them when they came to Liverpool. Though the photos of London were much more impressive, it was lovely to see in person

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 134
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2017, 11:26:40 PM »

We bought one, too!  Unfortunately I didn't make it to the UK in time to see the installation at the Tower but the pictures were gorgeous.  The Poppy Wave is in Shoeburyness (the only time it with be in Southern Essex, apparently) so I would love to go see it.

I knew it!  Your Jeremy Corbyn vibe shines through every post. 

Do you have any corduroy jackets with those leather patches on the arms?  Please post pix

Preferably posed next to a lovely manhole cover.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 10:57:31 AM »
Just thought of the neatest thing about living here: The Shipping Forecast!  How cool is that?  At first it's like some crazy beat poetry, then you learn what all the regions are, and before you know it you can tell the weather. 

The nearest thing we had to it in the states was the short wave time station that would announce the current time with a beep every 30 seconds or so.  My dad used to listen to that in the background.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 11:55:29 AM »
One of the very first things that made me fall in love with Britain was the football culture.

I was really bored one day, chatting with a friend who is a huge soccer fan, and told me to turn on the match at the time. What struck me is that the fans were singing off and on. I found it fascinating! I found myself watching week after week and that is what brought me to Liverpool originally so I could study media and football. :-)

• Liked: 210
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2017, 10:15:22 AM »
My wife is from Liverpool, so I asked her about the Sun. She said absolutely. Neat to learn something new. :)

I admire home delivery service. Fresh, cheap, amazing! Really good value.

As someone who can't/won't/doesn't drink coffee, I love that tea is offered to everyone, everywhere. Tea drinkers have a hard time in the US. We pay far more for far less tea, while coffee drinkers get bottomless cups for a tiny price (well, unless you get the fancy drinks).

I think the contraflow is a great road system, although I'm a bit nervous about driving on it.

I also love that car and grocery prices are far more reasonable in the UK than in the US.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2017, 11:36:17 AM »
God, you certainly will get enough tea here.  Sometimes it seems like people think of nothing else. 

Contraflow?  Is that supposed to be British?  I've seen it a few times in the states but I can't think of a time I've seen it here.  I'm thinking about near a coliseum where a 6 lane road might have 5 lanes going towards it before an event and 5 going away after the event. 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2017, 02:10:21 PM »
Had to look up contraflow system, because I've never seen or heard of it?
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links