Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: closing bank account  (Read 1908 times)

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
closing bank account
« on: April 13, 2017, 03:26:20 PM »
Is it possible to close a UK bank account from back in the US? I imagine we'll need to keep it open in order to get my husband's last paycheck and our security deposit back but by then we'll be back in the States.

• Liked: 3595
Re: closing bank account
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 03:32:06 PM »
To be honest, if you can. I would keep the account open - you never know when you might need it in the future.

I'm British but lived in the US on a student visa in 2008 - I opened a bank account there and have kept it open ever since (using my aunt's US address), though I don't plan to live in the US again.

It's really useful for when I visit the US as I can transfer money to it and also receive things like US PayPal payments. Plus, having both US and UK credit cards is great for things like iTunes and online payments where a US address/bank account is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 3
Re: closing bank account
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 05:51:30 PM »
Not sure about the rules in UK and how it compares with US banks. Before we left US two years ago I asked the bank about closing the account after we return to UK. They said one must physically go to the bank to close the account. We left the account open do far. However, if there is no activity in the account for 2 years, the account balance will be turned to the State! I do not think the banks in U.K. do the same.  Ask at a branch before you leave for US.

Sponsored Links