Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Working remotely for US company while legally able to work in the UK  (Read 1808 times)

• Liked: 674
Hi Guys, just throwing one more out there - we are leaving for the UK in two days, our stuff is already destined for the slow boat out of Long Beach.... we are frazzled, tired, and ready to be gone.

My current employer has had a hard time finding a replacement for me. They want to hire me back on a "temporary recall" appointment for a few hours a week later this summer to work remotely. I am coming in on an EU/Irish visa, so am considered "settled" on the Irish part or legally there on the EU part - since we're bringing my daughter in on an EU-dependent visa I believe I'm having to go the "EU" route on this.  So, I'm seeing lots of discussion about working remotely while on a visitor's visa being no bueno.  Can I legally work in the UK for a US company, remotely, while on my EU passport?   

They would pay direct deposit into my US bank account.  I assume I'd have to report it to Her Majesty's R&C people are income earned in the UK, but would I be running afoul of any other rules?  We can't consider doing this until August, and it would be for less than 20 hours a week at the most. If we can manage it, I'd love to do it for the extra bucks.

Would it also then cause me to be considered as employed enough to qualify as a worker, or would there be too few hours involved?   Hope to be able to log in tomorrow to see if anyone has responded, then they're cutting the internet off and we're in limbo until we are set up at the other end.  Thanks in advance! - N ;D

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: Working remotely for US company while legally able to work in the UK
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 04:21:04 AM »
This should be fine. You will probably have to register as a sole trader in the UK, but as long as you have permission to work here remote work is allowed.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:44:25 AM »
Hi--just wondering how this worked out. I might be in a similar situation --able to work remotely for a US employer while in the UK. Just wanted to see how things worked out or if you found out any more specifics (taxes, etc.)

Good thing there is venmo if you have to have direct deposit to a US bank account--easy to transfer $$ to yourself in the UK ;)

Also, when I lived in Beijing, Bank of America had a relationship with a Chinese bank so you could pull out money at any ATM in Beijing at that Chinese bank for free. Maybe there is one like that in the UK (HSBC?)

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 06:43:46 PM »
Sent in a written request for clarification, received word back from someone who said they were not exactly the person to help, said to phone the helpline. The reason for writing was, of course, to avoid the helpline and get something in writing...

My opportunity dried up for at least 90 days, so I'm still investigating. I know my now ex-employer will have work for me to do remotely at busy times of the year, and it'd be nice to get the money, but... still don't know the legalities.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 07:05:53 PM »
Sent in a written request for clarification, received word back from someone who said they were not exactly the person to help, said to phone the helpline. The reason for writing was, of course, to avoid the helpline and get something in writing...

HMRC said that? Seriously?  ::)

I would write straight back. You never get the same person twice! I had to do that when someone replied to me using a lot of words but they didn't actually answer my question.  That was annoying, but I got there in the end!  ;D

• Liked: 957
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 01:40:35 AM »
Also, when I lived in Beijing, Bank of America had a relationship with a Chinese bank so you could pull out money at any ATM in Beijing at that Chinese bank for free. Maybe there is one like that in the UK (HSBC?)

I'm kind of in the same boat, it's seeming like my opportunities will be better in the US for what I do (haven't seen many postings for remote BI programmers in the UK doing financial things, and US pay is loads better with the current exchange rate *sigh*).

But for banking, depending on your relationship level, with HSBC you can definitely have global accounts with very little in terms of transaction fees. They've been my bank for ages and I've stayed with them simply for that reason. I know there are others as well, but their focus has always been on catering to expats. But - I will definitely be comparing their transfer rates to transferwise when the time comes because I don't have their "premier" relationship.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 09:27:40 AM »
Yes, more or less, that's what they said.   ::)   Basically if the company has a presence in the UK they handle the taxes etc, otherwise I'd have to handle the taxes etc, and to contact the new employer's hotline for information.

Bank of America has a connection with Barclays that allows us to draw cash from a machine here, but they hit us with 3% of the total as a fee. (It used to be free.) Other than that, there is no useful connection for us between BofA and Barclays. There might be if you have quite a large amount of money with them - I believe I remember seeing with HBSC if you had a large balance you qualified for a special type of account that gave you global access. No use to us peons, but if you have a stash-o-cash it might be your ticket. For our purposes, Transferwise-ing blocks of money a few times a year is looking to be our most cost-effective option - to cover the rent and the things that must be direct-debited. Capital One credit cards are our go-to for everything else, as we get points for use and the exchange rate is great, and there is no overseas transaction fee.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 12:52:47 AM »
Nan - I was once an employee so I rolled over my 401k into an IRA with them (I don't think you have to be an employee to do this, it was just how I found out I could), and eventually that will be a stack of cash to maintain the account status. I would have literally no money without my retirement savings!

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 12:18:33 PM »
Margo  - Hi. Can you clarify who "them" is? BofA, HSB, Cap One? Thanks!  n

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 05:05:15 AM »
HSBC is where I put my IRA to keep the account status, that was the only bank I mentioned in my previous post so I apologize for not being more clear. It was in response to this section but on my phone I suck at quoting, much easier on the web!

I believe I remember seeing with HBSC if you had a large balance you qualified for a special type of account that gave you global access. No use to us peons, but if you have a stash-o-cash it might be your ticket.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 06:53:31 PM »

My opportunity dried up for at least 90 days, so I'm still investigating. I know my now ex-employer will have work for me to do remotely at busy times of the year, and it'd be nice to get the money, but... still don't know the legalities.

Hi Nan,

I just learned on another thread that HMRC now have a webchat service!

I don't know if you're still working on this but it would be a much faster way to try to get the info you're after, in writing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/self-assessment

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 08:21:08 AM »
Cool,  Thanks!

They referred me to how to set up payment of taxes.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/when-and-how-an-employee-operates-paye-on-their-employment-income

They also said to report it as foreign income on next year's taxes, no need to register as self-employed as I would not be self employed. Basically, as long as I make the tax payments monthly I can do it. (Saved the chat transcript just in case there are questions later.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 03:35:11 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »
Cool,  Thanks!

They referred me to how to set up payment of taxes.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/when-and-how-an-employee-operates-paye-on-their-employment-income

They also said to report it as foreign income on next year's taxes, no need to register as self-employed as I would not be self employed. Basically, as long as I make the tax payments monthly I can do it. (Saved the chat transcript just in case there are questions later.)
Nan, I'm essentially in the same boat. I'm a contractor and they want to keep me on part time while I move and job hunt because there's such a large work queue. Is there anything special I'll have to do, or just file the foreign earned income and pay taxes on it in the UK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 11:14:30 PM »
Hi Margo. I did not pursue this further, and my memory isn't what it used to be. Suggest webchatting with HMRC? (Sorry I can't be of help!)

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 03:11:02 PM »
Hi Margo. I did not pursue this further, and my memory isn't what it used to be. Suggest webchatting with HMRC? (Sorry I can't be of help!)
Will do. They have employees in other countries but not the U.K. so have to make sure I do things properly! They'll be checking with their accountant as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links