Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: 6 months upfront --- TWICE?  (Read 2923 times)

• Liked: 0
6 months upfront --- TWICE?
« on: April 28, 2017, 11:49:01 AM »
Eh,

So we came here, rented a house where we had to pay 6 months upfront. The lease is over soon and when we came they said it would be turned over into a monthly payment contract. Now they sent us the renewal contract where we are AGAIN asked to pay 6 months upfront.

Is this normal? How do we get into a monthly payment situation?
We did save up the rent we didn't pay monthly on the side so we could potentially do it again, but this is really very inconvenient and weird.

Any suggestions?
FO

• Liked: 1891
Re: 6 months upfront --- TWICE?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 01:02:31 PM »
That does seem strange and not what you agreed.  I'd bet the estate agent was simply not paying attention and simply made a copy of your old lease.  Call them and ask what's going on. 

Paying 6 months up front is a massive favour for your landlord.  If they demand it, you should negotiate a %10 rent decrease since they are forcing more risk on you .  If you've been a good tenant you've got a lot of power.

• Liked: 35
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 01:08:55 PM »
They are trying it on...  ::)

Check what your lease says. It might say that at the end of the six months it automatically switches to month-to-month without you having to do anything or agree to anything new. They would need to send you the paperwork so you can set up a "standing order" for the monthly amount with your bank.

See the section "At the end of a fixed term":

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/assured_shorthold_tenancies_with_private_landlords

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 02:11:17 PM »
I thought it was fishy, too.

Our contract says that if the landlord agrees it would turn into a month-to month-contract at the end of the fixed term.

But there is also another clause in there that we shall pay £114 for any tenancy agreement for any extension of the tenancy.

So basically it's up to the landlord to decide what type of contract we'll get, and they may have decided to have us pay the upfront rent again. The letting agent is checking back with the landlord at the moment. Which means that they might have just decided themselves to do the extension contract.
Let's see what happens.

Do you think after 5/6 month in the UK paying our bills, council taxes,  earning a salary, having a bank account and paying rent we would be eligible for a "normal" rent contract? I.e., would a tenancy check come back positive? If they want to make us sign another upfront contract we'd consider moving out. But of course, only if we can get another place without upfront payment. 

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 02:13:14 PM by FloridaOrange »

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 02:44:44 PM »
I think the landlord will change his mind quickly if it looks like you are going to move out over it.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 03:18:57 PM »
Our contract says that if the landlord agrees it would turn into a month-to month-contract at the end of the fixed term.

That doesn't sound right to me. I suggest you post your questions about what can legally happen next along with wordings of the lease to the forums at money saving expert. There are a lot of people on there that know a lot about renting, in particular what the landlord can and can't do. Just because the landlord says something or puts a clause in the lease doesn't mean they can do it.

When we first moved to the UK we had to pay six months up front. One month before the end of the six months we shopped around, found a better house, passed the credit check, gave our one month notice and left.

• Liked: 36
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 01:36:30 PM »
Hi,

Some good advice above, definitely speak to the Agent about this so that they can talk to the landlord and get a much more normal 1 or 2 months deposit and monthly payment type contract.

If the landlord comes back and tries to keep those terms, then once you've arranged another property, move there.

Some landlords are stupid and greedy, demanding 6 months upfront is just ridiculous. Let them try to find tenants with that much cash in hand just for rent whilst you find somewhere much more reasonable.

I'd love to buy more properties around here and only rent them to UK-Yankee forum members as I'm one of those cool landlords !  pets, redecorating to your colour choices etc is all fine with me! .. pity the prices are way beyond ludicrously insane :(

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

• Liked: 56
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 08:32:03 PM »
I've only heard of someone laying out 12 months rent in CASH (and this for a £3K a month flat in NW London) because the market was super competitive last summer, they wanted that place, and welp, guess they had the money. Insane to me but what can you do?

Six months rent beyond the first six months is stupid - did the letting agency forget to change the contract terms? There seriously are monkeys working on most of those shops.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 08:25:17 PM »
I'd love to buy more properties around here and only rent them to UK-Yankee forum members as I'm one of those cool landlords !  pets, redecorating to your colour choices etc is all fine with me! .. pity the prices are way beyond ludicrously insane :(

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

Hah, that would be nice. It was hard enough to find this place but it has green carpet everywhere and we aren't allowed to hang pictures. Talk about downsizing... from being homeowners in our own 2,000 sq ft place to this... bah.

I really want this to resolve itself though  - I don't want to pay more money on moving crap around for a while.

Below find the eloquent response from the agent:

"...Good morning
It was been requested to be paid up front, if this is an issue I can go to the landlord and ask if this is ok.
Please let us know
Thanks..."

I'm waiting since five days for an update.

FO

• Liked: 223
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 10:09:46 PM »
6 months upfront is ridiculous, especially for a lease renewal and definitely if you've been good renters and paying on time.

Below find the eloquent response from the agent:

"...Good morning
It was been requested to be paid up front, if this is an issue I can go to the landlord and ask if this is ok.
Please let us know
Thanks..."

Our estate agent used to send emails in Comic Sans. ::)  I work in publishing and died/giggled a little each time we got an email from her. She was very nice, but her font choice wasn't one I'd make for a business situation.

FO

Hahaha. It took me a second to realise this was your sign off (FO - FloridaOrange). I first read it as F- Off, which might be appropriate for the situation. ;D Maybe good to send in Comic Sans. ;)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 02:48:48 AM »
I completely agree that they are "trying it on".  Initial six months is one thing, the second time is unheard of.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 09:01:41 AM »
Seriously, try and find somewhere else to move.  6 months upfront is crazy!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 09:31:55 AM »
we aren't allowed to hang pictures.

As long as you fill the holes and touch up the paint when moving out (which everyone who rents has to do) I believe there would be no loss to the landlord and therefore no grounds to do anything about it.

I'm waiting since five days for an update.

They could be running down the clock - stalling to get back to you until you are stuck there for longer (did you find out about month-to-month?) because you don't have time to give notice and leave before the end of the six months.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 05:54:23 PM »
Soo, we got an update:

The landlord is happy to have us pay monthly.

Not sure what went on here, maybe they really didn't notice / didn't bother to ask the landlord about his opinion in the matter.

So we're going to stay here for another year. I had contacted a few other lenders on rightmove, but none even got back to us. Has anyone noticed that finding a place is getting more difficult since the referendum? Moving again just isn't what I want to do / spend money on right now.

Cheers

FO.
(Lovely username I have, it reflects my mood perfectly)

• Liked: 116
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 07:58:47 PM »
How is it related to the referendum?

We had trouble finding the flat we're currently being referenced for.  Really had to move fast as in our area there isn't enough housing for younger couples without children, and there are a LOT of younger couples without children in the area.  We learned that in such a competitive area, if you like the place you can't think on it for a few days; you have to just say then and there that you want it.  That's what we did yesterday for this flat, paid our fees immediately to hold it, and it worked.  Also, it helped that the letting agent had shown us other places and I had spoken with him on the phone several times.  We had a decent relationship with him before even seeing the flat.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

Sponsored Links