Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I escaped the UK...here's my experience so far  (Read 8489 times)

• Liked: 210
Re: I escaped the UK...here's my experience so far
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 10:46:11 PM »
Oh goodness, California to London? That must have been a huge culture shock! So glad you are enjoying NYC. Hope that you continue to enjoy your time back in the US.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 533
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 06:08:34 AM »
french toast bagel

This exists? Heavens!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
I concur! There are no good raised donuts here. Krispy Kremes are a thing into themselves. But I would kill for a lovely raised donut with chocolate icing and rainbow jimmies.

I tell people here that there aren't any proper donuts that I've found yet over here and they are like "But Krispy Kreme!!" ...but Krispy Kreme nothing! Not when you've had like proper American full-fat donuts! haha If I'm going to take the additional carbs, I want it to be worthwhile. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't turn down a Krispy Kreme or a normal grocery shop donut, but I consider it bottom level donut haha (does that make me snobby???). I miss a place nearby to my parents called Kane's Donuts. They have MASSIVE coffee rolls that I could literally have for breakfast for days. It's weird explaining to people here that donuts are/should be eaten for a special treat for breakfast and not as a cake! hah
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 09:44:55 AM »
This exists? Heavens!

It absolutely does and it's AMAZING. I usually can;t choose which bagel I want so I will get a few and have a bagel for breakfast and a bagel for lunch hahaha

It's literally one of the places I HAVE to go for food when I'm back in the US. I cannot not go at least once. You have to go early though as this place has a massive queue just before rush-hour time but if you wait to late, they start running out!! The best part is that it's SO cheap. I would kill for a shop like this over here in the UK (near me, obviously! No Taco Bell repeats where it's northern-focused only! haha)

http://www.bagelworld.net/menu.html :D
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 10:02:29 AM »
Yeah a Krispy Kreme hot off the fryer/conveyor belt is a magical thing... We had one for awhile, they eventually went out of business though. But damn are they good when they're fresh.

I loved one of our local bakeries for cinnamon twists. My dad used to bring home donuts on saturday mornings.

To be honest, I loved the raised donuts from my local grocery store, they absolutely covered the chocolate in sprinkles and their chocolate tasted nice. And they came in star, tree and heart shapes on occasion. Yes, I loved that!

I totally agree, donuts are a breakfast food. Not a dessert. I found a coffee shop up in sheffield that made a nice cake donut! Very expensive though.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 10:17:37 AM »
Ahhh, as a kid, we used to get amazing donuts from the local gas station!
And we used to know a guy who worked for a really amazing donut store called Mr Donut, which is long since gone, but they used to have these donuts that were stuffed with frosting that probably had a day's worth of calories in one.   

As any good New England girl, I did get Dunkin Donuts too and I was always partial to the 'dunkin donut' which was was basically their 'old fashioned' donut with a handle. 

I can't really imagine eating donuts for breakfast now. Way too sweet!!   ??? :-X

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 10:31:33 AM »

As any good New England girl, I did get Dunkin Donuts too and I was always partial to the 'dunkin donut' which was was basically their 'old fashioned' donut with a handle. 

I miss munchkins!!! hahah
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 537
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 10:39:13 AM »
There was a donut shop on my bus route when I was a kid and once or twice our bus driver stopped and let us get donuts. It was amazing! Probably illegal. But dang. We werent all allowed off, just a few of the older kids to go get them and we all chipped in 50 cents. It was so nice. It was Daylight Donuts. They ended up moving to a new location not long after.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 10:39:38 AM »

To be honest, I loved the raised donuts from my local grocery store, they absolutely covered the chocolate in sprinkles and their chocolate tasted nice. And they came in star, tree and heart shapes on occasion. Yes, I loved that!

Oh, I meant grocery shops over here! I think just overall, donuts are just different here! Where-as you could get amazing donuts from grocery stores over in the US that are superior to any donuts here (at the risk of sounding like a donut snob! haha)

But yeah...I do find that any "better" donuts I find are all SO expensive and I can't justify spending that kind of money or traveling to get them (as there aren't any I've found pretty locally). I've mentioned time and time again the struggle of explaining donuts are breakfast not cake! hah
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 56
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 10:39:59 PM »
Dont get me started on the donuts here  - the ring ones are a waste of calories, the jam ones will do when you are desperate, and nothing else is worth eating. Krispy Kreme is NO, and there is a Dunkin near Baker St,but the tourist hordes put me off going over there. We had either proper bakery in my Midwestern hometown or Winchells on the west coast - oh the smell when you would walk in!  My other half craves any sort of maple longjohn. And in Minneapolis there is this place that serves HUGE hot, fresh cinnamon rolls right from the oven, slathers them in frosting, and then there is a giant tub of additional frosting set out by the coffee creamer if you want to put your own on. Tiny shop that only did scones and cinnamon rolls.

Lalala - congrats on finding the best place for you. I got hit with severe homesickness in the last week or two and given we are EU.... always good to have a contingency. I don't think we are ready to bail yet, but like you I have put on weight since moving here and everything seems frustrating and/or heaving with people all.the.time. We are doing fine with income and sock away a lot of money every month, but I do think about how much more we could be paid in the US, especially Other Half, and buying a place that isn't massively overpriced compared to the build quality (honestly, a two bed flat in a West Hampstead Victorian conversion will run you more than a cute little house/condo with an ocean view in Malibu - I am NOT joking about that). At the same time, we would want to head towards the West Coast and I really can't deal with commuting so, for the time being, its work the day job and figure out another solution at night.

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 10:47:58 PM »
there is a Dunkin near Baker St

Don't bother! Went to a dunks in Cambridge I believe it was thinking "ohhh a taste of home! I must check it out!".... SO disappointing! Donuts were basically identical to Krispy Kreme (not like dunks as all) and I thought "finally a place to get actual iced coffee and not a latte! And maybe they'll have the US flavours and creamer!" But NOPE. Literally iced latte and standard flavours you'd get at any other coffee chain. And milk was used not cream (which is fine as I'm used to it now). Was just disappointed as not a single thing there made me feel like I was at home. Don't even bother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 13
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 11:26:54 PM »
I'm so hungry right now! I could eat a house! I hear you guys about all the donuts, etc. I found baked goods in general weren't the same but got used to it. I craved a fluffy moist American cake with thick frosting but some people in London think it's gross or too sweet.

When I was in London though I introduced my husband to Cinnabon. Even though it's the kind of thing you sort of feel guilty getting, we both loved it.

and @x0Kiss0fDeath I so missed cream with iced coffee. Husband is addicted to this too.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:38:05 PM by Lalala75 »

• Liked: 13
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 11:35:14 PM »
@BertineC Thanks :) And I hope your homesickness wasn't too bad :( Yeah, I tried really hard to make things easier but sometimes never succeeded. I'm not sure why it seems every little thing I attempted seemed like a headache. For instance it took us a month to get internet with BT and here it took one day. But even small things, would end up not working out. It's a really strange thing. And I catch myself doing the London walk: the charging fast walk. But both me and my husband said we felt mean! I have to keep reminding myself to slow down and there's no reason I need to walk at such a pace!

I too would like to head back west one day or just somewhere even more laid back and cheaper. I hope you guys find something that works for you soon. Are you in London? What part?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:38:58 PM by Lalala75 »

• Liked: 533
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 06:49:57 AM »
This is doing me no good! I may block this thread.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 585
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 08:04:29 AM »
Krispy Kreme's doughnuts are terrible... and EXPENSIVE!!!  I only like 'cake' doughnuts, and KK don't seem to do them... the first time I went, they had a chocolate cake one with chocolate icing, and it was lush, but when I went back a couple of weeks later for one, I was told they're not doing that one anymore, and they had no other cake doughnuts in it's place.  :(

But near my work, we have a tiny local bakery called Villa, and O..M..G... it's cake doughnut nirvana!  They do simple proper fried doughnuts with either just sugar, or with icing in various colours, and with sprinkles on... and the price?...... 35p!!!  ;D

I try to stay away, but sometimes the urge just overtakes me... I had a plain sugar one this morning with my coffee and it was so, so good.

Sponsored Links