Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I escaped the UK...here's my experience so far  (Read 8447 times)

• Liked: 78
Re: I escaped the UK...here's my experience so far
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2017, 08:43:23 PM »
Just got to find a look that works for you!  I have found that I tend not to wear sweats quite as often out and about as I used too, but I am no where near as glam as some of the people I see. 

Then again, I am in Essex rather than London.  I have come to accept that, no matter how hard I try, I will just never look as fabulous as those women in their matching bejeweled track suits with wedges, spray tans, and acrylic nails pushing their prams to Baby and Toddler Rhyme Time.  C'est la vie!

LOL thank you for the laugh!! It's so weird, because in California we have that look too but because I'm from here, I don't give a damn really what they think. I think the issue comes from my desire to want to be liked and to fit in, etc, so I take it to heart a bit more.

I'll be in Hertfordshire, so hopefully won't be as bothered. I have found that people enjoy talking to me on nights out even though I'm the only chick in the bar wearing sneakers  :P
California, USA

Relationship started: October 2014
Engaged: September 2016
Married: December 23, 2016
Priority visa application: March 31, 2017
Biometrics: April 13, 2017
Document confirmation: April 18, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017
Outcome: Approved!

« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2017, 08:44:21 PM »
That really surprises me! I guess it depends where you live in London and there probably are some areas where women dress up every day and may be intimidating. It has been the opposite of me and I returned home having lived in the Caribbean for many years. Even though I use make up every day (I look half dead without it!) I can go out here in the same skirt and or top as often as I like because nobody cares or even takes notice of that. In The Bahamas, I would have hesitated to wear anything too often! And the women there spend loads on their hair and nails, clothes and accessories. So I feel very relaxed here in comparison.

Hayleeonfire, I hope when you come over, you do  not feel 'less than' anyone you meet and that you are happy here.

Thank you for the kind words! I'm sure I'll find my little niche - its probably just fear of being an outsider.
California, USA

« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2017, 08:47:49 PM »
@hayleeonfire I too was coming from California so was used to a more bohemian look. And I'm not really a fan of the over made up, banker kind of look in London but it made me uncomfortable that it seemed like there was almost nobody that had that laid back SoCal kind of look so I felt like I stuck out even though I probably didn't.

But if it helps, I've heard many guys (British) complain about too much make up, etc that women have in London. It seems like it's a thing that only "lads" would like.

No one has really treated me differently, but I feel insecure there because I'm afraid that they might. If that makes sense? I don't want to compromise the kind of person I am or the style I enjoy just to fit in, but seeing as how I'll be living there, I do want to enjoy it!  :P
California, USA

• Liked: 73
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2017, 09:21:46 PM »
I quite understand. I spent more than half my life living in other countries and, whilst I enjoyed my time, I always felt a little different. As if I had to prove I was acceptable. It is not a nice feeling.
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2017, 07:22:15 AM »
Then again, I am in Essex rather than London.  I have come to accept that, no matter how hard I try, I will just never look as fabulous as those women in their matching bejeweled track suits with wedges, spray tans, and acrylic nails pushing their prams to Baby and Toddler Rhyme Time.  C'est la vie!

Please, please, please don't try to look like those women - most (normal) British women wouldn't be caught dead looking like that. They look fake and cheap and are often looked down upon/ridiculed (especially those from Essex because of TOWIE). It seems to be a symptom of the current generation that you need to have fake tan and extensions and a ton of make-up to look good, and it's just not true.

There's even a TV show (Snog, Marry, Avoid) which takes women who look like that off the street and gives them a 'make-under' to a more attractive, natural look. They show men on the street the 'before' and then 'after' pictures and ask if they would 'snog, marry or avoid' - most of them say 'avoid' for the before and 'snog' or 'marry' for the after.

As a British woman, I say go for the more natural look anytime :).

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2017, 08:37:39 AM »

There's even a TV show (Snog, Marry, Avoid) which takes women who look like that off the street and gives them a 'make-under' to a more attractive, natural look.

That's one of my guilty pleasure TV shows! haha
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 584
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2017, 09:58:37 AM »
There's even a TV show (Snog, Marry, Avoid) which takes women who look like that off the street and gives them a 'make-under' to a more attractive, natural look. They show men on the street the 'before' and then 'after' pictures and ask if they would 'snog, marry or avoid' - most of them say 'avoid' for the before and 'snog' or 'marry' for the after.

There's a similar TV programme called '100% Hotter' or something like that... It's addictive, watching these things!  Like a car crash you can't look away from...

So many of the young girls in my work have gone for that TOWIE style, and I just think they look completely ridiculous.  And the selfies... oh dear God, please make the selfies STOP!  :-X
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:00:21 AM by Albatross »

« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2017, 10:04:40 AM »
hahaha agree about the wreck you can't look away from!
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2017, 11:39:39 AM »
Yeah, I was just about to say that. Those awful pouty selfies.

I can see them looking back with embarrassment at those in a couple of years...

• Liked: 584
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2017, 12:26:06 PM »
Yeah, I was just about to say that. Those awful pouty selfies.

The hand on the hip with the elbow pointing out is another one I hate, but that one's not limited to the pouty/car-crash girls.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »
Please, please, please don't try to look like those women - most (normal) British women wouldn't be caught dead looking like that. They look fake and cheap and are often looked down upon/ridiculed (especially those from Essex because of TOWIE). It seems to be a symptom of the current generation that you need to have fake tan and extensions and a ton of make-up to look good, and it's just not true.

As a British woman, I say go for the more natural look anytime :).

Don't worry, I just stare at them in a mixture of awe/disbelief.  It doesn't help that people from the TOWIE gang have been known to visit our environs.  I much prefer the more natural look.

I have been known to binge Snog, Marry, Avoid on occasion.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:23:52 PM by Beatlemania »
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2017, 02:59:40 PM »
I know I've already expressed my preference for women with a more natural look, but aren't you ladies being a bit narrow minded?   I personally believe that people should have the freedom to dress however they like , including veils or whatever as long as they extend the same courtesy to me.  It's Okay with me if they want to take duck face selfies, I've certainly done my share of stupid things.  I'm all for variety, and if that includes members of TOWIE then whatever.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2017, 03:04:38 PM »
I know I've already expressed my preference for women with a more natural look, but aren't you ladies being a bit narrow minded?   I personally believe that people should have the freedom to dress however they like , including veils or whatever as long as they extend the same courtesy to me.  It's Okay with me if they want to take duck face selfies, I've certainly done my share of stupid things.  I'm all for variety, and if that includes members of TOWIE then whatever.

I see pretty girls making themselves look ugly by troweling on makeup and contorting their faces.... it's silly.

I'll look forward to seeing you in a veil though.  :)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2017, 03:40:06 PM »
I just noticed on the other thread that we were criticising the Shoreditch hipsters for lack of originality, and criticising Essex people here because they don't look just like us.   Seems funny to me. 

« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2017, 04:04:26 PM »
Lol I just let people do as they please. Not my taste, not my problem haha
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab