Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Facebook  (Read 922 times)

• Liked: 1260
Facebook
« on: May 02, 2017, 09:56:02 AM »
So there's a UK-Y Facebook page but it seems like it gets used mainly for political/financial/legal happenings in our world. I know there are area-specific Facebook pages as well. Curious to know if - realistically - people would join just an overall UK-Y Social Facebook page for idle chit-chat etc. that weren't all serious communications?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1891
Re: Facebook
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 09:57:54 AM »
Not me, I refuse to use Facebook as much as possible. 

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 09:59:41 AM »
Not me, I refuse to use Facebook as much as possible.

haha fair enough :) I was honestly just wondering what people's thoughts on that were
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 11:27:16 AM »
Don't let me kill the thread though, if other people want to chat on Facebook don't let me stop you.

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 11:28:51 AM »
hahah nahhh not killing it at all! I imagine it may just be me but I've moved on anyways as I'm not browsing Reddit, so don't worry! :p The Bank Holiday Tuesday has begun!!
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 537
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 11:44:57 AM »
Possibly. I only really check the group's I'm on every once in awhile on there.

Facebook is one of those things where it controls what I see and I kind of hate it for that, but I love seeing what my friends are up to.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 11:59:54 AM »
Yeah I totally get that. I think I use it more during work hours than home hours strictly because I get bored at the office when it's not busy "month end/quarter end" time so I'm happy to scroll through whatever anybody is posting just to help the day go by. I had just read a few comments on older posts relating to how people had trouble finding friends or people with similar interests and I thought about how in some ways, Facebook can be a better way to get to know people in the chance of making friendships because it can be a bit more personal in that sense (just in my opinion).
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 537
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 12:20:08 PM »
Yeah I totally get that. I think I use it more during work hours than home hours strictly because I get bored at the office when it's not busy "month end/quarter end" time so I'm happy to scroll through whatever anybody is posting just to help the day go by. I had just read a few comments on older posts relating to how people had trouble finding friends or people with similar interests and I thought about how in some ways, Facebook can be a better way to get to know people in the chance of making friendships because it can be a bit more personal in that sense (just in my opinion).
My work doesn't want us on our phones at all other than our (2) 10 minute breaks and lunch.

I really need a new job.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 12:25:58 PM »
My work doesn't want us on our phones at all other than our (2) 10 minute breaks and lunch.

I really need a new job.

I don't think I'd survive if I couldn't use my phone or have access t Facebook/Reddit/etc. on my browser. I would just be WAY too bored haha
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 584
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 12:59:26 PM »

Same here.

I'm not sure if I'd use a UKY FB group... my FB usage has slowed waaaay down in the last year due to people pissing me off, people who don't want to be tagged in stuff, people that don't like all the greyhound pics & videos I share... :o  >:(
I also have a situation where I no longer check in on FB when I go to a pub or restaurant in Glasgow, as I have a VERY annoying colleague who will turn up wherever I am and then just dominate the conversation about what a hard life they have, and how they suffer so much, and are such a victim.  And I really hate that sh*t.

But on the other hand, if the UKY FB group was more 'fun', and not just droning on about visas all the time, I could maybe be persuaded.  I just feel like it's hard enough to get a 'fun' topic started here on the forum... very few people bother to join in.  Would a FB group really work?

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 01:13:19 PM »
haha oh my goodness! I never check in to places I'm at anyways, but I certainly wouldn't be doing it if I had people I didn't want just showing up! That is madness! Totally get the people pissing you off in various ways thing. I have just unfollowed so many people and my newsfeed consist mostly of memes and cute animals now with a few people peppered in between, I swear! haha  As mentioned, I think I only have such high usage of Facebook because the first half of the month at work is SO slow that I almost have too much time on my hands so some days I feel I'm constantly refreshing Facebook for anything that will keep me even remotely interested and distracted to help the day pass!

And I do agree about how hard it is to start a fun conversation on here but I guess my thought was more a place you could casually post a one-off picture or vent about something without needing to make sure it fits into a particular category on here but then that might come down to how I use Facebook. Like for example, I'm on a page for the village I live in and people will mostly post looking for suggestions for businesses (which irritates the Sh*t out of my because I think "google it?" or "literally search the group because somebody asked this yesterday), but on occasion you'll have somebody post a joke they heard (sometimes super inappropriate ones but I have a filthy mind so definitely laugh but shocked they'd put it on the village page hah) or they will share a photo of what they got up to or share events happening and I was just thinking about whether or not  more "lighter/fun" Facebook for expats would work beyond just the local group pages. I appreciate the overall one UK-Y is quite serious and deals with the important issues, but it would be nice to have just casual chit-chat sometimes where it wasn't all doom and gloom and seriousness.

I think I probably look for casual chit-chat more because I am so bored at work (I should probably look for another job in that free time haha but it's hard to leave a comfortable position where your biggest problem is mainly just boredom!) so there are times I just want to be like "Is anybody else bored?" but I don't feel like that warrants a thread post devoted to my boredom where-as on Facebook I might be more inclined to post that.

Also....I just want to say, I don't think you post enough greyhound pictures and videos on here! I would definitely appreciate the pet stuff! haha
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 584
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 01:26:00 PM »
I have just unfollowed so many people and my newsfeed consist mostly of memes and cute animals now with a few people peppered in between, I swear!

Me too.
I even have to 'hide' some of my partner's posts occasionally, because he uses his FB to rant and wage his own personal war against the world!  ::)

Also....I just want to say, I don't think you post enough greyhound pictures and videos on here! I would definitely appreciate the pet stuff! haha

LOL... noted!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 01:27:16 PM by Albatross »

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 01:30:03 PM »
hahaha my husband RARELY uses Facebook (he probably uses it mostly to tag me in funny memes and to look at what I've tagged him in). He doesn't really post statuses or anything so I don't deal with too much of that from him thankfully - but I do have some people that were just drama-llamas and I had to stop viewing their stuff because it was irritating to see people be so openly dramatic. My husband I think has stopped following nearly everybody on his friends list so their posts won't show up on his feed, it's all just posts from the pages he likes hahah
My, how time flies....

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 01:48:18 PM »
How would A Facebook discussion be different?  This format works for the most part, especially for Visa questions. 

I agree that some more fun topics might be nice.

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »
I guess it wouldn't in essence. But, as mentioned, I do feel less comfortable just starting random topics to have idle chit-chat as I feel like it's not really warranted to start a thread just to say "anybody else bored?" or post up a random picture or something.

I think my usage for Facebook vs this forum are obviously different than a lot of people on here - which is totally fine  :) Was asking merely to see other thoughts and I think - for me - I would find making actual friends easier on Facebook than a forum like this (mainly because I feel like there's less anonymity in Facebook than the forum. I think there's more likely a chance you will add a person you're having a good chat with as a friend on there and develop more of a friendship with vs on here because "adding as a friend" on facebook is kind of the next natural step there (maybe over thinking that? But I do find different usages of different social media sites an interesting topic so I can't help it! haha). But then on facebook you run the risk of totally ruining a potential friendship as you might add somebody that you regret adding because you see a whole different side of them that you wouldn't see on this forum.
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab