Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I could care less  (Read 543 times)

• Liked: 533
I could care less
« on: May 07, 2017, 08:24:49 AM »
"There’s a close link between the stress pattern of I could care less and the kind that appears in certain sarcastic or self-deprecatory phrases that are associated with the Yiddish heritage and (especially) New York Jewish speech. Perhaps the best known is I should be so lucky!, in which the real sense is often “I have no hope of being so lucky”, a closely similar stress pattern with the same sarcastic inversion of meaning. There’s no evidence to suggest that I could care less came directly from Yiddish, but the similarity is suggestive. There are other American expressions that have a similar sarcastic inversion of apparent sense, such as Tell me about it!, which usually means “Don’t tell me about it, because I know all about it already”. These may come from similar sources."

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/706/which-is-correct-could-care-less-or-couldnt-care-less
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 537
Re: I could care less
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 10:10:11 AM »
I love the use of XKCD down the page.

My British husband uses irregardles. Drives me mental.

Eta: I personally think it's like that one person said. Someone misheard or left off the contraction and the phrase took hold. Makes logical sense.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 10:14:44 AM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links