Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Last Meal in the US?  (Read 1111 times)

• Liked: 1892
Last Meal in the US?
« on: May 17, 2017, 04:47:09 PM »

What is everyone's preferred last meal before getting on the plane back to the UK?

Last trip it was fried oysters, 6 oysters on the half shell and some Lobster Bisque.  I would have happily gone to Diary Queen for a Heath Bar Blizzard but time was limited.

• Liked: 223
Re: Last Meal in the US?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 05:54:56 PM »
Taco truck.

When we fly out of our small town airport, there's one right on the way from my parent's house. ;D

If we're flying out of the large city airport, it's usually a Five Guys off the interstate. They've got a good veggie option for DH and me and no one else will complain about a stop there.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 111
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 06:10:41 PM »
When I visited the US, I would spend my last night in my hometown and my father would take me to his partner's restaurant before taking me to the airport since it was on the way there. I used to groan outwardly to him because despite he and his partner being together for over 20 years, she wasn't my step-mother and he would insist I would have to say goodbye to her. That part I hated but I absolutely adored her food. She would go into the kitchen and personally make me a plate of huevos ranchero with her very tasty red chile salsa, refried beans with cheese and rice with corn, carrots and peas. She would always make her son go and prepare me fresh-squeezed orange juice (you know he probably hated every squeeze as he didn't like my father for the same reason I didn't like his mother! Lol) so you know it tasted even better! I always secretly loved the attention she gave me and she was frankly an amazing cook. Her restaurant has been going strong for 40 years for a reason.

My family will be moving back to England in a few years but I'll be leaving Houston now since my father has passed away and I have no reason to go to my hometown and have that meal I would outwardly complain about. I can't say I'll really miss much now but I'll probably eat at Pappadeaux's at IAH and eat oysters on the half shell with some champagne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 07:01:00 PM »
My final meal before moving here was at the Melting Pot.  Yummmmy fondue!

Normally my last meal is here, at Bahama Breeze on Rocky Point in Tampa.  Food is good.  Cocktails are AMAZING, view can't be beat!  Photo of actual restaurant here:  http://diveintampabay.com/2012/06/22/bahama-breeze-happy-hour-for-dive-in-readers/

• Liked: 60
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 07:14:15 PM »
I'd like to make Taco Bell my last meal, but my husband would probably roll his eyes until they fell out of his head  ;D This last trip we had our last meal at the baseball stadium!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 08:21:01 PM »
I can't remember what was my last meal before moving here, but I have a visual reminder of my final stateside meal after my last visit!  My first time trying grits!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 154
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 09:31:50 PM »
Before I moved (happened to be my birthday) my parents took me to a local, old, semi famous place called crown candy kitchen. It's been on man versus food once or twice.

GIANT blt

Please note I split this with my mom and we didn't finish it lol

Also had delicious milkshakes

But on a normal trip home I would go for Mexican or Taco Bell depending on how much time I had and a blizzard from DQ

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 09:33:10 PM »
What is everyone's preferred last meal before getting on the plane back to the UK?

Last trip it was fried oysters, 6 oysters on the half shell and some Lobster Bisque.  I would have happily gone to Diary Queen for a Heath Bar Blizzard but time was limited.

Oh a good lobster bisque would be amazing right now.

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 09:33:35 PM »
I can't remember what was my last meal before moving here, but I have a visual reminder of my final stateside meal after my last visit!  My first time trying grits!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That looks absolutely delicious

• Liked: 134
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 12:00:17 AM »
My mom always makes me my absolute favorite meal of oven-fried chicken and potatoes (chicken/potato cubes coated in Parmesan cheese, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper) the night before I fly home.  It's also my chosen birthday meal.

Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 68
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 07:48:42 AM »
My final meal before moving here was at the Melting Pot.  Yummmmy fondue!

Normally my last meal is here, at Bahama Breeze on Rocky Point in Tampa.  Food is good.  Cocktails are AMAZING, view can't be beat!  Photo of actual restaurant here:  http://diveintampabay.com/2012/06/22/bahama-breeze-happy-hour-for-dive-in-readers/

I've got many happy memories of Bahama Breeze!  ;D

• Liked: 68
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 07:52:19 AM »
My last big meal back home was a Greek feast down in Clearwater. Huge plate of gyros and tzatziki...it couldnt get any better! We also had some flaming cheese thing and my sister decided to be brave and eat try octopus legs which didn't go down well, but we had a lot of laughs and happy memories :-) Normally my first and last meal back home is a spicy chicken sandwich meal from Wendy's!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 09:52:26 AM »
If it's a "home trip", then usually my Mom will make me something yummy. She's an awesome cook.

It it's a "work trip", then it's usually whatever is available in whatever business class lounge of whatever airline I'm flying.  Some are better than others. (Yes, I realise it's a rough life to fly business class  ;)   ;D, but we fly business class for any flight longer than 7 hours straight, specifically so we can be refreshed and get cracking on straight away with work)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 10:09:26 AM »
That looks absolutely delicious

It really was!  Those were cheese grits, btw.  So nice!!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 10:17:09 AM »
I need cheese grits in my life
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab