Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tory changes to sponsored based visas.  (Read 1522 times)

• Alors, tu te rappelleras tout ce que je te dis là
  • Liked: 150
Re: Tory changes to sponsored based visas.
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 02:23:29 PM »
My fear is that even if current visas do get grandfathered into the old rules, it will only count for actual visas and not applications. My visa might not come in before the election, so we'll be stuck with whatever new rules they determine. :(

There's really no way they'll be able to implement sweeping income policy changes in that short of a time -- I wouldn't worry about this at all, on a personal level. It won't affect us. Still morally repugnant, though.
Met UK 30/05/2016
Married US 03/03/2017
Applied spouse visa 17/04/2017
Decision 31/05/2017
**Visa Approved**

• Liked: 107
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 02:25:44 PM »
Do you pay for IHS when applying for ILR?
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 342
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 02:27:26 PM »
Do you pay for IHS when applying for ILR?

No. Those on ILR and British citizens residing in the UK, use the NHS without being billed.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 02:30:50 PM »
I don't think anyone expects the IHS to stay at £200 a year? That was the figure used for the Immigration Bill going through Parliament and the Lords, to end  'free NHS for everyone legally living in the UK'.

We know that IHS money is held by central government and that the cost of any treatment for those who paid the IHS, does not come from that NHS Trusts budget, as they claim this cost back from this central fund.  I guess at some point they will know if the money in equals the money out? A straightforward birth is something like 3k.

I agree, I don't think any of us ever expected to see the IHS fee remain at £200 a year.

BUT, having just given birth on the NHS (woohoo, getting my tax payer dollars worth  ;)), not once was I ever asked about my immigration status or required to show any proof of visa, etc.  Which would lead me to believe my trust isn't claiming back for my costs - which was not straight forward.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 02:31:35 PM »
My fear is that even if current visas do get grandfathered into the old rules, it will only count for actual visas and not applications. My visa might not come in before the election, so we'll be stuck with whatever new rules they determine. :(

Your application will be considered based on the rules on the day you applied and your visa will be issued accordingly.

So, if you paid your fees and submitted your application on 1st April, your application would be evaluated by the rules in place on the 1st of April. If the rules had subsequently changed on the 2nd of April, any applications submitted after that date would be considered based on the new rules but yours would be based on the old rules.

Now, if your application on the 1st of April was denied, you would then have to meet the conditions of the new rules for your new application.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 02:34:26 PM »
I agree, I don't think any of us ever expected to see the IHS fee remain at £200 a year.

BUT, having just given birth on the NHS (woohoo, getting my tax payer dollars worth  ;)), not once was I ever asked about my immigration status or required to show any proof of visa, etc.  Which would lead me to believe my trust isn't claiming back for my costs - which was not straight forward.

Then that is their  loss and the IHS central funds gain.  :)

• Liked: 210
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 02:41:33 PM »
I don't think it will come in that quickly? When are you applying?

It's EU rules that can be backdated, not usually UK immigration rules.

Sadly, I come from the land of He Who Shall Not Be Named and who institutes instant fiats. So I don't take anything for granted.

Still, glad to know this most likely won't affect us, even if (as nonmerci says) it's morally repugnant.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
Your application will be considered based on the rules on the day you applied and your visa will be issued accordingly.

So, if you paid your fees and submitted your application on 1st April, your application would be evaluated by the rules in place on the 1st of April. If the rules had subsequently changed on the 2nd of April, any applications submitted after that date would be considered based on the new rules but yours would be based on the old rules.

Now, if your application on the 1st of April was denied, you would then have to meet the conditions of the new rules for your new application.

Eh, I wouldn't be so confident of that.  For example, the IHS fee was introduced after I was on my path and I wasn't grandfathered in.  Same with fee increases, etc.  People who have ILR are still affected by continuous changes (BRP to prove right to work for example) and not based on the rules in place when ILR was granted.

While I would encourage no one to panic, also know that we are completely at the mercy of the rules and attempting to live in a very anti-immigration country.  It's certainly not going to be an easy ride to remain in the UK.

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 02:47:43 PM »
There's really no way they'll be able to implement sweeping income policy changes in that short of a time

It's not really sweeping changes though as it is just raising the financial amount. The changes came in 2012.

In 2012, they wanted to put it through on 26k (the poverty cap on the benefit Tax Credits, for 1 child) but then settled on just over the couple rate poverty cap for Tax Credits, which is 18k.

As they have just brought in the 2 child limit for the benefits Tax Credits and Housing Benefit, based on MAC reporting;  and the changes to public funds for those subject to immigration control and the 'making work pay' benefit cuts under the Welfare Reform Acts, I can't even guess what they will set this new amount at. Can anyone else?  TBH, I thought  they might bring back the Primary Purpose rule instead, but didn't like to mention it on here.

The various EU routes are the highest number of migrants to the UK (EEA citizens and non-EEA citizens) followed by the family route visas it seems.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:18:28 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 210
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 03:03:54 PM »
Eh, I wouldn't be so confident of that.  For example, the IHS fee was introduced after I was on my path and I wasn't grandfathered in.  Same with fee increases, etc.  People who have ILR are still affected by continuous changes (BRP to prove right to work for example) and not based on the rules in place when ILR was granted.

While I would encourage no one to panic, also know that we are completely at the mercy of the rules and attempting to live in a very anti-immigration country.  It's certainly not going to be an easy ride to remain in the UK.

Yeah, exactly. People around me are always astounded at how difficult it is to move to the UK.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 03:14:14 PM »

And Brits too, with the various new laws i.e for road users; the new speeding fines/points and mobile use fines/points; the having to declare a SORN even if your not used care is kept on your drive; and my grandfather told me that the motorbike sidecar rule change happened overnight and suddenly those with a sidecar on the right, were not legal.

Why do you think I always read the Parlaiment site to see all the new bills being discussed. :) Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law.

How's that baby of yours?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:22:20 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 03:24:30 PM »
And Brits too, with the various new laws i.e for road users; the new speeding fines/points and mobile use fines/points; the having to declare a SORN even if your not used care is kept on your drive; and my grandfather told me that the motorbike sidecar rule change happened overnight and suddenly those with a sidecar on the right, were not legal.

Why do you think I always read the Parlaiment site to see all the new bills being discussed. :) Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law.

How's that baby of yours?

The new speeding fines are INSANE!!

Baby is currently curled up in my lap sleeping.  Still no name...   ::) 

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 03:28:40 PM »
Baby is currently curled up in my lap sleeping.  Still no name...   ::)

Have you got a shortlist?

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 03:34:23 PM »
Have you got a shortlist?

I've had a name for the last 36 years.   ;)  Husband has no names.  We had a BIG argument about it Sunday night.  My dad arrived Monday monrning.  Husband is back at work.  Three year old couldn't sleep Monday, so husband went in to lay with her and fell asleep himself, Tuesday I went to bed straight away, last night husband fell asleep on the sofa early.  So we literally haven't caught up all week.  This is why you are supposed to decide while pregnant!   ;)  Three weeks old today...  three more weeks until we have to have something.  <sigh>

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 03:37:38 PM »

Sadly, I come from the land of He Who Shall Not Be Named and who institutes instant fiats. So I don't take anything for granted.

It's no different over here and it's best not to make liife plans based of what the (various) UK government gives. What the government gives, it can take away again, or they keep moving the goalposts.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab