Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Offered a UK job..... I think  (Read 1451 times)

• Liked: 424
Re: Offered a UK job..... I think
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 05:39:25 PM »
Crap, such a nice start to my life here :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 05:50:42 PM »
Is it a small chain of family shops?

My first job here was for a used car company, high end including Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin and Land Rover. No contract, just an email with what I was earning. Hired immediately after the interview.

The job only paid minimum wage and the guy was a multimillionaire.

Small businesses can have weird hiring processes.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 06:18:18 PM »
25 shops so I'm told....in discussion yesterday he asked what I wanted for a starting wage point. Today it's a "trial" period at minimum wage.... I can't seem to find any info online for Tartan House....

• Liked: 537
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 06:24:17 PM »
Tartan House of Scotland? My quick Google got a lot of locations.

There are lots of Facebook pages for them.

If you decide you wanted to go for it. Push for more than minimum wage and make sure you get a contract. With that many stores you should have one.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 06:31:40 PM »
Yes, I find many locations but little information. I'm going back tomorrow and either they offer some real details and money or I have little choice but walk away.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 11:22:23 AM »
How did you get on Rick?

I don't get into town much these days, so I don't know anything about that particular shop opening. 
Is this a Harris Tweed shop? Hubby mentioned something about a new Tweed shop opening, but he didn't think it would last long (Inverness clientele really - 'posh shops' don't last long) 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 11:34:56 AM »
Thank you for asking, it didn't go well. I was asked to come in early to the town centre shop to meet with the guy that "hired" me. I was there at 10:20 and he requested 10:30. At 10:45 I said enough as nobody was even opening the shop. They finally did at about 11. (I was browsing in a shop not far). I went in and asked where he was, was at first ignored, but when I asked again forcefully I was told he wanted me to meet him at the shop on the high street instead! He had my phone number.....no call no message. I don't play games well, so I told them they could keep their job and walked away. When I got home there was a job posting for the same position online....posted the day before. All just a big scam, the shop in town is just a pop-up store I believe and will only be open long enough to make some quick money and run.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 11:42:57 AM »
Oh!  The 'American Candy' store in the Eastgate Centre is the same scam as well. They bring in goods quickly and then shuts down when sold out. And then you see it reopens quickly again. Sometimes different types of goods, not just American foods.  Sounds like the same company doing the rounds, I think.

Inverness is dire, full of shops like that...and the places that rent to these guys just don't care, because they're happy to have the money come in for a month or two, probably charge upfront knowing their game.  Uggggh! 

I'm sorry you've experienced that, but at least you had your eyes and ears open and didn't get too far. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 11:45:37 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that Rick.  Sometimes you've got to kiss a frog and see what happens. 

No matter what, it's some experience and activity, which always seems to generate more activity. 

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 11:50:15 AM »
I sure hope so, right now I'm a bit down and depressed. I really want to work and be able to help support my family and so far I am just getting nowhere. I'm submitting applications and following up, even applying for the most menial jobs. Something has to break soon

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 11:55:13 AM »
On a lighter note.....do you know how difficult it is to spell things like centre....or colour for an American!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 12:31:21 PM »
On a lighter note.....do you know how difficult it is to spell things like centre....or colour for an American!

Set your phone, computer, etc., to U.K. English.  It'll take care of it for you!

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 12:39:25 PM »
I'm a contractor, so I go through the job seeking process more often than most.  I always get to the point where I am thinking the same thing as you : "This is taking way longer than it should, it's not working, there's nothing out there....". But something always comes along, often two offers at once after months of nothing.  It'll happen for you as well.  All it takes is one phone call.

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 01:12:27 PM »
I sure hope so, right now I'm a bit down and depressed. I really want to work and be able to help support my family and so far I am just getting nowhere. I'm submitting applications and following up, even applying for the most menial jobs. Something has to break soon

Bad luck Rick.
On the positive side, I think you had a very lucky escape. You could have worked all week and then not been paid or something along those lines. 

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 02:19:46 PM »
Thanks larrabee, you are absolutely right. Feeling like something was off, I only went back at all just hoping that I was wrong.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab