Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Interesting hobbies (another pic thread)  (Read 6442 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: Interesting hobbies (another pic thread)
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 11:09:06 AM »
We live pretty close to Hampton Court Palace (where Henry VIII used to live) and we've spent a lot of time there. 

Time Team did a dig there. Fascinating place.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 585
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 12:36:16 PM »
I wouldn't call it a 'hobby', exactly, but I volunteer with a greyhound rescue (retired racers, mainly).  I've got a lot more involved this year, having bought a bigger car so that I can transport dogs.  Every time I have to transport a dog to their new home, or to their foster carers, my heart breaks a little bit more.... I want one of my own SO badly, but we live in a top-floor flat and with some other factors, it's just not feasible.  I had a greyhound who died about 5 years ago, and they are just the loveliest dogs ever.  [smiley=smitten.gif]

• Liked: 134
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 12:44:19 PM »
That cross stitch sounds absolutely mad.  We live pretty close to Hampton Court Palace (where Henry VIII used to live) and we've spent a lot of time there. 

I'd really like to see a picture of that.

I ADORE Hampton Court, I would live there if I could.

I shall see if I can get a picture posted tonight.  I have already informed the husband that it's getting framed and prominently displayed when I am finished.

Sounds like you'll have a head start with your life in the UK test studies!  ;)

If they have a question about how many people listed 'prostitute' as their profession in the 1871 census, I am set.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »
I wouldn't call it a 'hobby', exactly, but I volunteer with a greyhound rescue (retired racers, mainly).  I've got a lot more involved this year, having bought a bigger car so that I can transport dogs.  Every time I have to transport a dog to their new home, or to their foster carers, my heart breaks a little bit more.... I want one of my own SO badly, but we live in a top-floor flat and with some other factors, it's just not feasible.  I had a greyhound who died about 5 years ago, and they are just the loveliest dogs ever.  [smiley=smitten.gif]

I meant hobbies in a very loose sense :) Should have called it "fun facts" or something probably.

That's really sweet of you to volunteer though! Someday I'm sure you'll be able to provide a lucky dog a wonderful home :)

I shall see if I can get a picture posted tonight.  I have already informed the husband that it's getting framed and prominently displayed when I am finished.

I've secretly wanted to learn to cross stitch so I could stitch curse words or fun phrases/quotes and frame them. Not even as remotely cool or time consuming as what you've done though.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 01:01:35 PM »
I have a friend who lived there in a grace and favour flat.  She loved living there. 

Once when we were members, my wife and I signed up for the roof top tour.  Nobody else had signed up, so we got a private tour and walked all over the roof. 

The best part of being a member is the member's room, which is like being in someone else's grandparents flat.  There's a bunch of tea, old sofas and board games.  Once you get comfortable, you don't want to leave.  Entry is through a door with a secret code and everyone else is amazed to see you walk in and out when they can't.  When you are inside, occasionally some cheeky pleb will knock on the door, so you just laugh.

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 01:12:04 PM »
Jimbocz, were you ever tempted to just open the door and let them in when they knocked?
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 02:49:50 PM »
Are you kidding?  Those people were not  Members of the Historic Royal Palaces.   They didn't belong there and it would have been cruel to let them see the lifestyle of the members when they aren't destined to live that life.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 07:02:35 PM »
Since it's a photo thread,  here's a pic of the most recent wee darling to steal my heart... This is Nico.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 10:47:39 PM »
I have a friend who lived there in a grace and favour flat.  She loved living there. 

Once when we were members, my wife and I signed up for the roof top tour.  Nobody else had signed up, so we got a private tour and walked all over the roof. 

The best part of being a member is the member's room, which is like being in someone else's grandparents flat.  There's a bunch of tea, old sofas and board games.  Once you get comfortable, you don't want to leave.  Entry is through a door with a secret code and everyone else is amazed to see you walk in and out when they can't.  When you are inside, occasionally some cheeky pleb will knock on the door, so you just laugh.
:o

Right, today is payday.  Becoming a member immediately.

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 11:22:25 PM »

Included the picture of what it *should* look like for reference.  Just started Annie B but she's coming along swimmingly. 

Albatross, Nico is soooo cute!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 08:15:33 AM »
I'm a bit of an amateur photographer too :).

In 2014 when I was working on Ascension Island, I invested in a DSLR camera and a couple of zoom lenses and I've been taking pictures since :). No formal training as such - I've just been playing around with the camera :). I'd love to take some photography classes but with my shift schedule and working overseas so much I don't really have time to do it.

A couple of photos from my trip to Thailand last month:

I also attend TV show conventions and have been practicing my photography there too. This is one I took of Jensen Ackles (Dean Winchester on Supernatural) three days ago:

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 09:30:08 AM »
Since it's a photo thread,  here's a pic of the most recent wee darling to steal my heart... This is Nico.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

OH MY GOD, LOOK AT THAT HAPPY FACE!! :D

That is seriously awesome!!Well done! It looks exceptionally time consuming.

I'm a bit of an amateur photographer too :).

Those are some cool photos! What places do you travel abroad? Was Thailand for business or pleasure? The picture of Jensen Ackles is pretty awesome! haha did you meet him in the end or just watch a panel? What convention was it?
My, how time flies....

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 09:58:01 AM »
Those are some cool photos! What places do you travel abroad? Was Thailand for business or pleasure?

Thanks :). The Thailand trip was for pleasure - my brother lives in Macau, so we did a 3-week trip to Japan, Hong Kong, Macau and Thailand over Easter.

Other than that, I've generally been working overseas for 3-5 months a year since 2013. So far, I've spent 9 months in the Falkland Islands (5 months in 2013, 4 months in 2015), 3 months on Ascension Island (2013/2014) and 3 months in Antarctica (2016/2017). In October, I'm off to Gibraltar for 4 months.

The picture of Jensen Ackles is pretty awesome! haha did you meet him in the end or just watch a panel? What convention was it?

Thanks :). I've met him a few times now - that convention was in Rome this past weekend. Last June, I found out he was using a photo I took of him at a convention as his Twitter profile picture... so I printed it out and asked him to sign it (he gave me a high five) :).

When I was getting his autograph on Sunday, I showed him a printed satellite picture of Antarctica, because there's a place called Jensen there (the Jensen Nunataks, named after a 1960's glaciologist). When I explained what I did and that I'd lived in Antarctica, he told me my job was awesome :P.

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 10:26:18 AM »
Thanks :). The Thailand trip was for pleasure - my brother lives in Macau, so we did a 3-week trip to Japan, Hong Kong, Macau and Thailand over Easter.

Other than that, I've generally been working overseas for 3-5 months a year since 2013. So far, I've spent 9 months in the Falkland Islands (5 months in 2013, 4 months in 2015), 3 months on Ascension Island (2013/2014) and 3 months in Antarctica (2016/2017). In October, I'm off to Gibraltar for 4 months.

Thanks :). I've met him a few times now - that convention was in Rome this past weekend. Last June, I found out he was using a photo I took of him at a convention as his Twitter profile picture... so I printed it out and asked him to sign it (he gave me a high five) :).

When I was getting his autograph on Sunday, I showed him a printed satellite picture of Antarctica, because there's a place called Jensen there (the Jensen Nunataks, named after a 1960's glaciologist). When I explained what I did and that I'd lived in Antarctica, he told me my job was awesome :P.

OH MY GOD! That's awesome!! Husband and I are planning (slowly, but surely) a trip to Japan for next year at some point and looking forward to it very much! Seems like you get to visit some pretty awesome places! What do you do for work? I'm not sure if I've seen you mention what you do specifically before (but I can have a crap memory sometimes). Do you travel by yourself or is it a work group?

hahahahahah that is honestly incredibly! He always seems really nice and down to earth (at least from the Comicon Panels I've seen him do).
My, how time flies....

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 10:38:47 AM »
OH MY GOD! That's awesome!! Husband and I are planning (slowly, but surely) a trip to Japan for next year at some point and looking forward to it very much! Seems like you get to visit some pretty awesome places! What do you do for work? I'm not sure if I've seen you mention what you do specifically before (but I can have a crap memory sometimes). Do you travel by yourself or is it a work group?

I'm a weather forecaster for the Met Office, but I work on RAF bases, briefing the pilots on the weather before they fly. As a result, I have the opportunity to deploy overseas and work on remote bases too :). For Antarctica, I was seconded to the British Antarctic Survey for 3 months, forecasting for their pilots flying to remote parts of the continent so the scientists could do their research.

hahahahahah that is honestly incredibly! He always seems really nice and down to earth (at least from the Comicon Panels I've seen him do).

It was pretty great :). He's lovely (as is Jared), and he always maintains eye-contact when he talks to you :P.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab